Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 12:09:15 AM EDT
AB2222, the .50 cal rifle ban died in commitee.
SB1520, the soda pop tax died Tuesday.
Now, if we can defeat the $0.05 bullet tax, we can claim at least a small victory.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:31:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If the "Bullet Tax" makes it to the ballot in November, the shooting community response may be something like that for Prop 15 in 1982.  That prevented Tom Bradley from being elected Governor. Think about it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
wow you mean some californias have brains!

not  a [flame] since i was born in california and lived there for 17 years
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#3]
These bills never came up for the popular vote, so it's impossible to tell if Californians are finally leaning back to the middle. Most likely, these bills died for lack of support among the state assembly and senate membership, with perhaps some help from those who called, faxed, and bitched.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Heres is what I think is happening.  There are quite a few conservatives in California but for the most part they don't do anything because they either don't care or don't feel their voice is being heard (which in many cases is true).

However, because of Davis shoddy job at Governor and a few other things that have been happening lately (and possibly also because Bush is President) the conservatives are starting to wake up from their slumber and to an extent fighting back.

Although I was rooting for him, many didn't believe Simon stood a chance at winning the primary.  However, now that he's on his way to the battle for Governorship, conservatives are realizing perhaps its time to actually do something.  I actually believe Simon can win against Davis.  Even some of the liberals are seeing Davis as the lousy politician he is...so although they may not vote for Simon they more than likely won't vote for Davis as well and just stay home...

So, seeing as how conservatives are sick of seeing what California is becoming and has become, the lousy job Davis has done, the fact Bush is President, and the fact the the Dems controlling this state are doing all they can to raise taxes to fix Davis' mistakes I believe many of the conservatives that reside in this state are starting to wake up and realize they stand a chance and its time to get as whiny and complain about what their doing up north in Sacromento.  And the best part is even some liberals are doing the same thing because the state legislatures have been doing a piss poor job the last few months and/or years...
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And the best part is even some liberals are doing the same thing because the state legislatures have been doing a piss poor job the last few months and/or years...
View Quote

Agreed, The Calif. legislature dig itself into a political blackhole.  We are $10 billion in the hole for 2001 electricity bill, and it going to take some doing to get us, and Calif Gov. is probably responsible for 50% of it, and the legislature for the other 50%. Even with this massive debt, the Calif. legislature still mangage to pass and sign into law several gun control bills.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the best part is even some liberals are doing the same thing because the state legislatures have been doing a piss poor job the last few months and/or years...
View Quote

Agreed, The Calif. legislature dig itself into a political blackhole.  We are $10 billion in the hole for 2001 electricity bill, and it going to take some doing to get us, and Calif Gov. is probably responsible for 50% of it, and the legislature for the other 50%. Even with this massive debt, the Calif. legislature still mangage to pass and sign into law several gun control bills.
View Quote

I have heard it was getting closer to $20 billion.  Will have to look up the figure...

EDIT:  Ok, was apparantly 12.5 billion which has grown to 15 billion since April 1.  And its believed to grow a few billion more before the election.  This is a heck of a lot of money considering we had around an $8 billion surplus to start with...it almost makes you want to weep.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
And even more sad considering that California's total budget is 10 billion dollars.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess if you give liberals enough rope, eventually, they'll hang themselves!

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]
And with the April 15th tax returns, CA has $5 billion less revenue than last year. The CA govt. swears they've tightened their belts as far as they can go without cutting into "programs", but I heard today the state hired 55,000 new employees last year. What the hell kind of belt tightening is that?

I don't know if the Republicans can do a lot. When Don "Pistol Packing" Perata authored the redistricting last September, the Republicans got majorly disenfranchised. In fact, my city is now in the same district as Oakland and Berkeley and there are not even any Republicans running! Prior to September, we always had at least two Republicans running for state assembly seats.

In the recent past, when the dems tried to run roughshod over the Republicans through redistricting, it never made it past the Governor, because we always had a Republican in that seat. Now that Davis is in, the dems have free reign.

Anyway, my point is things may be moving back to the middle again, but with the Republicans disenfranchised in all the major districts, the point may be moot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#10]
This may help to drive another nail in the Demo's coffin...

[url]http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/story/2479047p-2934770c.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#11]
It wouldn’t be a good idea to start throwing mud around – the democrats tend to favor the one getting hit, no matter how wrong they were.  

Davis had a lot of democratic support in the primaries.  It would probably be easer to get schools not to support Davis this term due to all the budget cut backs and withholding funds.  

Hopefully more and more Democrats will see the light and vote [b][green]Green[/green][/b] [:)].  Green Party is much better than the Democrat part, and besides who wants a jackass for party’s mascot any ways.
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Someone should declare open-season on liberlism for but a single day. Roughly half the population in the major cities would disappear, balancing the voting power among the districts. San Francisco would become a ghost town, LA would finally shut up, & those still around would finally tuck their tails & pee on themselves, instead everyone else (Check out the Little Cuba district in SF sometime and you'd see exactly what I mean - just don't hang too long).[frag]

I feel for the rest who have put up with the constant barrage of the "gonna-make-you-safe-till-it-kills-you", "bend-over-it-won't-hurt-that-much", "the-gov't'll-take-care-of-it-so-no-need-to-worry" BS...

...And while you're at it, maybe you can also drop-kick Sweinstein & BoXXXer butt's a$$e$$ out behind Grayboy. Then they can run him home & take turns goin' to town on him.[sex]
Then again, maybe they'd have more creative plans for him.[:K]

Or, maybe they'll take turns dressing him up like a woman.[@:D]

But, I digress.

(Sorry - spent most of the day debugging code & am ready to puke from excessive monitor-gazing time).

Blaster out!
[heavy]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top