Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2002 6:05:22 PM EDT
Is it a definite 'no-no' to use WD-40 as a gun lubricant? Any recomendations for a good all purpose lubricant?

[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Castrol Synthetic gun lube,its sold at Dicks,Sports authorty and alot of other places
IMHO you will not find a better lube*

*Except for ID made by W.E.T. but thast for a differrent application[sex]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#2]
[left]WD-40 is bad, mkay? Not really, its good for tons of things, but oiling guns ain't one of 'em. I use Rem-Oil, but apparently CLP is really good too, though i've never used it myself.[/left]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
it's good for flushing the crap out of tight areas, but thats about all. WD40 does not cut it for anything else. I think most of the guys here will tell you to use CLP.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it a definite 'no-no' to use WD-40 as a gun lubricant? Any recomendations for a good all purpose lubricant?

[email protected]
View Quote

It's better than nothing but there are some problems with it:

1) It's a penetrating oil that can (supposedly) damage primers.

2) It's very thin, so it doesn't do much for high wear areas.

3) As it ages it can harden into a thick, scummy residue.

What WD-40 does well is dissolve crud and displace moisture.  It should be OK to use it for cleaning so long as you wipe it off and apply a good quality oil afterwards.

Break-free CLP is a popular choice as an all-around gun lube.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

[email protected]
View Quote

Because it is a penetrating oil.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#6]
WD-40 is definetly not what you want to use on your gun.  It actually takes away lubrication over time.  I also will penetrate the primers on your ammo over time and make that ammo a dud.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion -- a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion -- a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try.
View Quote

Correct!  If you have a firearm that is wet, WD-40 is the cats ass.  Just let it work and wipe the parts down.  Then re-oil with your favorite lube (CLP, etc.)
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well hot damn! Out of 2500+ posts you finally post something worth a s#it! [;)] jk, I really did not know that, interesting stuff.  

I use Rem-oil and CLP, may have to give the Castrol a try when I run out of Rem-oil next time.    
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
i wouldnt cuz its highly flammable

i can imagane my gun catching on fire!

"FIRE YOU CAN BRING FIRE ON A GUN RANGE!"
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i wouldnt cuz its highly flammable

i can imagane my gun catching on fire!

"FIRE YOU CAN BRING FIRE ON A GUN RANGE!"
View Quote

LMAO--Treetop will never live that down!
View Quote

Actually, it's the propellant that's flammable.  If I recall, they make some that's not Flammable... or was that Liquid Wrench I'm thinking of......
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WD40, I'm told, is just (mostly) kerosene.  I'm pretty sure it's flammable.  I'll be right back.  

Edit:  Made a nice puddle, put a lit match in it.  Nothing.  The match burned up, the puddle didn't ignite.  It's a good thing (for me) we didn't bet, huh?  [;)]
View Quote

Not flammable?? Why is it the best propellant for my potato gun then?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
WD40, I'm told, is just (mostly) kerosene.  I'm pretty sure it's flammable.  I'll be right back.  

Edit:  Made a nice puddle, put a lit match in it.  Nothing.  The match burned up, the puddle didn't ignite.  It's a good thing (for me) we didn't bet, huh?  [;)]
View Quote

Now, go back, get some news paper, light it.... spray it w/ the can of WD-40?  Blow torch effect?  If so, the it's the propellent.  I recall using it .....I think, to deal w/ some wasps under my mower.... farm mower (as in back of tractor).
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#18]
The only time I use WD40 is when my firearms get wet...take for instance the Mid-MO S.C.U.B.A. shoot.  I didn't have time to clean them that day or night.  I did however hose them down with a crap load of WD40.  I cleaned them the next day.  No rust and it helped to remove all the crap inside.  I also use it to blow the crap out of my firearms.  However, I then clean it of the WD40 and use Rem Oil.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't use WD-40 on guns. It may be good for preventing rust short term, but it just doesn't work over the long haul. My father used it for years. He took out some guns he had stashed away in the back of the closet for about 15 years and hadn't looked at for a while, and most of them had rust. My uncle has used Break-Free CLP for years. None of his have rust. WD-40 breaks-down/evaporates rather quickly compared to other oils on the market.
Plus, since it's a penetrating oil, you run the risk of exacerbating any microscopic fractures you may have in your metal on your older guns. WD-40 is bad for guns.
Personally, I use G96.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#20]
the good ole WD40 debate

WD40 will NOT hurt your ammo, ive personally tested this with factory and military ammo, i left a couple various calibers soak and submerge fully in a cup of Wd40 for over a month, it still went BANG. the primer sealer was still fully intact.
the only way for WD40 to hurt the primers would be to spray it directly into a new unused unseated primer, but then a bunch of liquid products would probably kill the primer also.

from wd40.com
[i]What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, [b]kerosene[/b], water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.[/i]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#21]
A clue to help crack the WD-40 ingredient mystery.

The WD-40 company buys oil squeezed from crambe seed.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#22]
You do not want to get penatrating oil on your nice scope which could invade seals.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Personally, I use G96.
View Quote

What's  G96  ??
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#24]
In the directions on the can of wd-40 it states that it's ok to put on guns only if the gun is held together with duct tape.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hairspray works well too.  I forgot about those...I'll have to build a new one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#26]
What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.
View Quote

I have it on good authority that WD-40 is made from a secret blend of 11 herbs and spices.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't use WD40 for anything.  It contains alot of oil from the menhanden fish, a prime food stock for major game fish up and down the east coast.  Plus, given time it will build up varnish.  

Max

PS, how come the can rusts?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hairspray works well too.  I forgot about those...I'll have to build a new one.
View Quote
Yeah I think Im goign to make a doulbe barrel.Let me know how yours turns out if you do make one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm impressed with TW-25B.  Dillon Precision and Gunsite both recommend it.  I got a good deal at www.bestdefense.com
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#31]
while we are on the subject, anyone ever try graphite or lightweight lithium grease on the slide of a .45???
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I get firearms in the shop all the time, that the owner has been lubing it with WD-40. Well they all look like the inside of a carburetor. In the shop we have one use for WD-40.. Cutting fluid for the mill and lathe, when I run out of the good sulfur based stuff.
Any thing leaving the shop is lubed either with RemOil or RIG gun grease.
I have recently tried slip2000 so far it looks good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top