Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2002 4:34:30 PM EDT

Anyone else here used to memorize the names of the major craters of the moon when you were a kid?

I had a telescope when I was nine and used to love looking at the moon - especially the 1/4 moon ("waxing crescent" I think). That showed the best shadows across the craters and mountains.

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Copernicus, Galileo... and some other guys. [:E]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
No, never memorized them.  But they are basically named after astronomers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Tsiovosky Crater, Tyco, Mare Crissue, Mount Maralen, the Sea of Tranquality, the Bay of Rainbows. there are others, many others...

I'm a space geek and pround of it!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
WHAT? THE MOON HAS CRATERS?! WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?[;D]

coyote3
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tsiovosky Crater, Tyco, Mare Crissue, Mount Maralen, the Sea of Tranquality, the Bay of Rainbows. there are others, many others...

I'm a space geek and pround of it!
View Quote

Okay, so I guess we're the only space geeks out 'round here.

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
WHAT? THE MOON HAS CRATERS?! WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?[;D]

coyote3
View Quote

It is a natural occurrence during the making of certain types of cheese.  Don't you know anything??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay, so I guess we're the only space geeks out 'round here.
View Quote

I never memorized trivia, but I used to read a lot about the planets.  I also drew a lot of rough pictures of space stations, space ships, martian colony layouts, rovers, etc. as well as a 5th grader could anyway.  I'm now finishing up an intro astrophysics class and I've found the things that have fascinated me most are the largest things:  galaxies, clusters of galaxies, etc.  It's amazing how people were able to piece things together like distances to other galaxies.  Smarter folks than I.

[img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rane0006/galaxies%20in%20a%20section%20of%20sky%201%20tenth%20the%20size%20of%20the%20full%20moon.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
WOW!! Talk about flashback. That looks like a vision I had while doing shrooms in H.S.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
They named them? hmmm
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, though I don’t remember any of them anymore.  (Talk about a wasted youth!)

I’ve still got a moon wall chart somewhere that I got from Edmund Scientific.  I remember it bothering me that south pole was on top.

Actually made myself a 4 ¼ inch telescope back then (didn’t make the mirror, though), which gave breathtaking views of the moon.

I started on an 8 inch telescope several years ago but never got around to finishing it.  I guess I prefer working on guns.  

I’m also old enough to remember when no one knew what the back side of the moon looked like.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#12]
This is for you astrofreaks.  Wish I could afford one.  Retails around 60k.

[b]Astrolabium Galileo Galilei[/b]
[img]http://www.ulysse-nardin.com/images/watches/trilogy/astro_large.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:45:33 AM EDT
[#13]
TMA
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:10:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you ever pondered the coincidence that the moon and the sun appear to be the same size from the Earth's surface?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:41:27 AM EDT
[#15]
The Moon... Goddess of the Night... Oh, sorry... I get all mystical when it comes to the Moon... an amazing piece of real estate and my favorite target with my Celestron NexStar...

I've got a very cool, very small program that keeps track of the Moon's phases and displays an Icon in your taskbar of the Moon.  It's a simple .exe file with a .gid file... pure eye candy...

If you'd like it let me know and I'll email it to you... It's designed to work under Win95 but Win2000 and XP users can use it by setting the compatibility.  I'll tell you how to set it if you don't know how...

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#16]
for those who are truely interested in the night sky, i suggest you check out this site, http://www.heavens-above.com/ you can visually track satelites, ISS, Hubble etc. & one of the more exciting space oddities; the "flare" they are produced by the Iridium sattelites when they are in the right position for your location, many of the "flares" have a magnitude/brightness of -8 which is very bright.......

for those of you who have young children this can be a really fun thyng for them to look for, my grand kids love watching the night sky when i tell them when & where to look for a satelite.......
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#17]
USe to be one of my hobbies when I was you , found out by accident  that its a good way to get really close to a girl .... (picture geeky snorting here !)
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Darkstar,

you have a Celestron Nexstar.........!!!!!! so do i !! i got the 11" job......

do you have a solar filter ?

i'd be interested in that Moon phase thyngy, i have a Davis weather instrument but it only displays when i down load data to my weather data bank.......
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#19]
If anybody is interested in space flight simulators, check this one out!

[url]http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html[/url]

It is a freeware space flight universe.  2 body gravitational fields are calculated as well as other basic physics.  You can fly anywhere in the solar system, and the views are incredible.  If you like it, download the Hi-res planet surfaces, extra orbital bodies, and new spacecraft.

I have wasted hours with this thing, but have been to every planet and moon!  The Hi-Res Earth, Moon, and Mars textures are awesome.  From orbit, it looks like you are actually there!
Example:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nIABPGpkIaGP3Xqx1BJJxbvBPTxCJ2Ar7nRx7pE4hWW47PQJh70sjd03aidCoBbGxIpA6ddMWN3U[/img]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Used to get a kick trying to find all the Messier objects.  Friggin cities pollute the night skies, though, so it is often a futile endeavor.  An astronomy buff needs to live at least 50 miles from the nearest town, and that is both difficult to achieve and a pain in the ass.

BTW, I've renamed all the moon's craters after me.  I'm just waiting for the advent of the New World Order before making it official.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:47:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Back in 1969 I put a "Unretouched Photo of Moon's Surface" under a coverpage and taped it to my dormroom door at Tulane.  Photo was of an anus taken at 4 inches and developed in red and silver.  Got to maybe a half dozen of the Green Slime before I had to fight for my honor.  Life in the jock dorm was fun!

[;D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#22]
The moon is a part of an alien conspiracy to hypnotize us into performing slave labor for them.  DO NOT LOOK AT THE MOON, your children will grow up as mindless zombies hellbent on such things like astronomy, which the devil himself invented!  (Or was it Al Gore?)

Ban the moon, do it for the children!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've got a very cool, very small program that keeps track of the Moon's phases and displays an Icon in your taskbar of the Moon.  It's a simple .exe file with a .gid file... pure eye candy...
View Quote

One of my favorite programs is [url=http://indigo.ie/~gnugent/JupSat95/][b]JupSat[/b][/url] which calculates and displays Jupiter's four main moons. VERY cool graphics of Jovian moons in motion.[8D]

Here's a link to a BUNCH of other [url=http://www.physics.sfasu.edu/astro/software.html][b]Astronomy Software[/b][/url] for anyone who's interested. (the mother lode!)

[img]http://heritage.stsci.edu/2001/05/mz3/0105b.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Okay here's some moon trivia for you guys

What crater on the moon did the they find the monolith in 2001: A Space Odessy?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uranus!  

(Don't take offense at the homosexual "monolith in crater" type remark!)
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

tycho brahe?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tycho!

On what planetary body did they find TMA-2?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Liv Tyler?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#29]
add me to the space geeks list, i have a Meade LX-90, televue eyepieces, computer drives, dew heaters, dew shields,  etc. In fact I do not own one gun that is worth as much as my telescope w/all its extras !
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Tycho!

On what planetary body did they find TMA-2?
View Quote

In orbit around Jupitor. Okay, this is one you could only get if you read the book, where did they find what they dubbed 'TMA-0'

Oh and just to throw it in TMA stands for Tycho Magnetic Anomaly
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
add me to the space geeks list, i have a Meade LX-90, televue eyepieces, computer drives, dew heaters, dew shields,  etc. In fact I do not own one gun that is worth as much as my telescope w/all its extras !
View Quote

You mean you got an 8" LX-90 automatic with televue eyepieces AND dew shields!!!

That better be a pre-ban telescope!

You know you can't have more than two of those evil features on a post-ban telescope [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In orbit around Jupitor. Okay, this is one you could only get if you read the book, where did they find what they dubbed 'TMA-0'

View Quote

Too easy - Africa!

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually the book states that it was found on the surface of Iapetus, a moon of Saturn.  The movie cut the bit about Saturn for some reason.

Where in the book does it say anything about TMA-0?  I did a search and found nothing.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where in the book does it say anything about TMA-0?  I did a search and found nothing.
View Quote

3001 The Final Odyssey.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I think the movie left out too much cool stuff.  The book was far better.  My wife watched the movie with me, and the only reason she knew what was going on was because I was explaning everything to her.

a.  What the original monlith was.
b.  What all the monkeys were doing.
c.  Where they were going, and for what purpose.
d.  What the meaning of the crazy light show was.
e.  What that hotel suite was supposed to be.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

3001 The Final Odyssey.

View Quote

Aha!  Haven't read the sequels yet!

Ever read the Rama series?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Have you ever pondered the coincidence that the moon and the sun appear to be the same size from the Earth's surface?
View Quote

The sun is 400 times the diameter of the moon. The moon is 400 times closer to us than the sun. I think this is right, it has been years since I learned about it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think the movie left out too much cool stuff.  The book was far better.  My wife watched the movie with me, and the only reason she knew what was going on was because I was explaning everything to her.

a.  What the original monlith was.
b.  What all the monkeys were doing.
c.  Where they were going, and for what purpose.
d.  What the meaning of the crazy light show was.
e.  What that hotel suite was supposed to be.
View Quote

I think each has its own perspective. Sure, the storyline is weakened in the movie, but the movie visuals are a work of art in and of themselves.

Read the first. Didn't finish the series though. (So much time, so little to do)
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CactusJack

i'd be interested in that Moon phase thyngy, i have a Davis weather instrument but it only displays when i down load data to my weather data bank.......
View Quote

The program is on its way to you via Hotmail... its 63Kb...

I've got the Celestron NexStar 5... cute little bugger and easy to handle.  But your NexStar 11 would sure have some purdy images!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The sun is 400 times the diameter of the moon. The moon is 400 times closer to us than the sun. I think this is right, it has been years since I learned about it.
View Quote

That's right.  I just find it remarkable that such vastly different bodies would appear as "equals" in our sky.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Darkstar,

how do i make that link to

"Heavens Above" live.......??

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Darkstar,

how do i make that link to

"Heavens Above" live.......??

View Quote

You mean like this?

[url]www.heavens-above.com[/url]

Or did you mean the ISS satellite image on their website?  You can get real-time data from the site by registering and giving them lat/long or the nearest city from their database.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Okay, as long as we're doing astronomy trivia, around what planet do the two moons of Mars orbit?
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Darkstar,

ya lyke that !!!!!!!

now how did you do it ? it seems every BB is different when posting URLs............

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Okay, as long as we're doing astronomy trivia, around what planet do the two moons of Mars orbit?
View Quote

Phobos and Deimos orbit, er... Mars?
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Darkstar,

ya lyke that !!!!!!!

now how did you do it ? it seems every BB is different when posting URLs............

View Quote

Post a link like this:

Before the address, www.whatever.com add: {url} with the { } actually being [ ]

To end the link: {/url} again replace the { }bracket with [ ]

So a link would look like this except for the [ ] brackets:

{url}www.whatever.com{/url}

You can post an image the same way using the same brackets and substitute {image} {/image} for {url} {/url}

Just remember to use the [ ] to bracket and you're live...
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:01:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Armed Scientist,

I answered your question before you posted it: see my post on 5/3.

Great minds think alike.

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#49]
has anyone here observed the Iridium flares yet......??

has anyone who owns a telescope tried to track a moving satellite...? i tried to follow the ISS & Shuttle wyth my 11" Celestron.., it was very difficult, but i cud make out some detail, when they were coming over my area they were very bright, about -6 magnitude........
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
has anyone here observed the Iridium flares yet......??
View Quote

I thought they'd made a deal with another company to keep them going.  ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top