Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2002 1:52:51 PM EDT
Damn! I awoke this morning to find my house being invaded by ants!I keep a very clean home so i dont know what they are afer,anyone have this problem before?I cant find where they are coming in ,so I dont even know where to begin.
Any help would be great!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Go down to the local wal-mart and buy some ant traps.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
step 1: Don your ninja suit.

step 2: Observe the ants roving patterns.

step 3: Trace them back to their nest, and slip in the secret entrance.

step 4: Kidnap the queen.(you may have to do battle at some point)

step 5: Flip out and start killing ants because you don't even care.

step 6: Crap your pants.

problem solved.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I would fill a spray bottle full of water and a drop or two of dish washing detergent/soap, and spray them. The reason for the detergent/soap is to break the surface tension so that they will sink and drown. Otherwise they will just float on the water. Yeah, and also get the ant traps.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe your bugs enjoy a clean house as much as you do,  try living dirtier and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go down to the local wal-mart and buy some ant traps.
View Quote

I was thinking about that,but from what other people tell me they dont work well for ALOT of ants. I guess I'll try anything at this point
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
add some rubbing alcohol to the soap & water mix, then sprinkle some fine sand on them..., the ones that don't drown will stone each other to death when they get drunk !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The gumment stopped the production of Dursban® a few years ago but stores were allowed to sell their remaining stocks.  Some stores may still have this.  Spray around the foundation of your house a couple times and the little boogers will hike over to the neighbor's place.

Inside - make sure pet food bowls are not directly on the floor.  

Read and follow all warning labels.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]
i would take a walk around your house and see if you can find their colony.  if there is a large amount of them it probably wont be hard to find.  you should be able to see the piles of dirt from them digging into the ground.  get some bug spray and hose it down.  then spray inside where you have been seeing the largest concentration of them.  then lightly spray around all your baseboards.  that should take care of them and any other critters.  you can buy bug killer in a concentrate just add water.  pick up one of those little 1 gallon pump sprayers.  they should have them and the chemicals in the gardening center of most large home stores.  (like home depot)
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]
After trying poisons and traps, the only solution I've found that works 100% is to get rid of whatever it is that's attracting them.  It could be, for example, sweet smelling dried drips of Coke or crumbs from cookies.  Clean-up anything you spill or drop very well and take-out the trash often.  I found that using a smaller trashcan in the kitchen helped to get rid of them.  I have to empty it more often.  I thought I had a nice clean house until I looked much more closely.  If they don't have anything to eat, they will have to move on.z
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Try and find out where they are gaining access into the house.  Do you have a full basement or crawl space or is it built on a slab.  Usually they take advantage of a crack in the foundation somewhere near ground level but can sometimes use shrubs to gain access higher up.  If you can locate the source nest you can eradicate the nest with Diazinon or Dursban assuming they are legal for you to use in your state(check with local laws first).  If you cant find the source then get some "INDOOR Ant spray", and spray all the crevices where trim and cabinets meet the floors and walls.  Then go outside and do a foundation spray with Diazinon or Dursban. note: DO NOT USE DIAZINON OR DURSBAN INSIDE THE HOUSE

You should be able to control them fairly easily and once the weather stays consistently warm they'll have enough  food and water outside and won't be looking to you for a freebie.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#11]
This is going to sound anti-productive but it worked for our house.

Go outside in a area that kids/animals won't play and put about 2 cups of sugar in a pile with an ant trap or two(underneath cover of a tree or something).

Watch as the ants in your house dissapear just as the mound of sugar disappears. See, they are  looking for food/sugar. so just give it to them. Spend 3 bucks on sugar, and they'll be set for months. We never had a problem after that!

Good luck!

-Uhlek
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
You really need to find out what kind of ants they are , different ants are drawn by different thing. Are they the small ones ? or are they larger , like carpenter ants ? Traps only work on one variety of ants. The first thing to look for is do you have any trees in contact (or over) your house, this is the most common reason. I doubt they are fire ants (believe me, you'd know if they were). Any way once you know what they are (catch some and take them to your county agriculture center or a good garden shop) then you can buy the right poison. Or just buy an ardvark and tell everyone its a new breed of dog !
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Go outside in a area that kids/animals won't play and put about 2 cups of sugar in a pile with an ant trap or two(underneath cover of a tree or something).

Watch as the ants in your house dissapear just as the mound of sugar disappears. See, they are  looking for food/sugar. so just give it to them. Spend 3 bucks on sugar, and they'll be set for months. We never had a problem after that!

Good luck!

-Uhlek
View Quote

Thats a very clever idea! I think I wil try that one along with a few others,Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I had some aunts drop in on my house one afternoon.

I didn't answer the door, hoping they would go away.

Just then, my wife pulls up. Lets the aunts in.

Everyone wonders where I was that I couldn't hear the door bell ringing off the wall!

Eric The(TheyWereHERAunts)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Try and find out where they are gaining access into the house.  Do you have a full basement or crawl space or is it built on a slab.  Usually they take advantage of a crack in the foundation somewhere near ground level but can sometimes use shrubs to gain access higher up.  If you can locate the source nest you can eradicate the nest with Diazinon or Dursban assuming they are legal for you to use in your state(check with local laws first).  If you cant find the source then get some "INDOOR Ant spray", and spray all the crevices where trim and cabinets meet the floors and walls.  Then go outside and do a foundation spray with Diazinon or Dursban. note: DO NOT USE DIAZINON OR DURSBAN INSIDE THE HOUSE

You should be able to control them fairly easily and once the weather stays consistently warm they'll have enough  food and water outside and won't be looking to you for a freebie.  Good luck!
View Quote

No basement,just a concrete slab.I just had new siding and a roof put on (free[8D],but thats for another thread) I wonder if that has anthing to due with it,i dont have ant trees or shrubs touching the house and no cracks in the foundation.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

-Uhlek
View Quote

Thats a very clever idea! I think I wil try that one along with a few others,Thanks
View Quote

Although ants have a better work ethic, greater intelligence, and higher morals, they are similar in some ways Islamic terrorists.  You cannot bargain with them.  You cannot appease them.  You cannot buy peace.  They must be eradicated.  It is you or them.  Now move out, and draw fire soldier.
Good luck, and God speed!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Although ants have a better work ethic, greater intelligence, and higher morals, they are similar in some ways Islamic terrorists.  You cannot bargain with them.  You cannot appease them.  You cannot buy peace.  They must be eradicated.  It is you or them.  Now move out, and draw fire soldier.
Good luck, and God speed!
View Quote

Holy SHIT that's deep!  The man's got an ant problem.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#18]
You guys are goin about it all wrong. You gotta go get some fireworks, stick a pot on your head an duke it out with em like Elmer Fudd did. This will work for you to Eric.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#19]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=113817[/url]

You to should help each other out. B-O-G's paintball shooting robots could wipe out your ants, and you could let him use your house as a test facility.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Screw that, I posted a link for his little terminator hobby an thats as far as i'm prepared to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top