Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2002 1:48:16 PM EDT
My mom is a partner in a company in Florida.  She took over for some slack management that was running it into the ground and has been slowly firing the scumbag employees that are running wild.
They had an employee get drunk one weekend and injure himself at home, he claimed he did it Friday and filed for workmans comp. His wife works there as well.  They were at a company picnic laughing and joking about screwing the company on a false claim, IN FRONT OF MY MOM AND THE OTHER OWNERS.

He was fired and his wife(who worked there also and helped him file the false claim)was also sent down the road.  They are sueing for unlawful dismissal and lost wages.  Both acknowledge willfully attempting to defraud the company and the state but claim that was not grounds for dismissal.

They found a lawyer who presented this in a filing, bizarre to say the least.  What the hell can you fire people for????
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
As C. Mason Weaver says, "It's OK to Leave the Plantation!"  This book was written by a black man, but it applies equally to all. (And he meant it that way.) I heard him in a radio interview last year and he has a very intelligent way of looking at the way we [b]expect[/b] government to provide certain things for us.  It might help them enormously if they would read this book.

Anymore it seems that people think someone [b]owes[/b] them a living.  It seems to be one of the side-effects of the "Great Society."
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Florida Is NOT a right to work state.....so basically your mom can fire them for just about anything....in other words: TOO BAD LOOZERS

[size=1](edited becasue I kan't speel, especially after being up for close to 24 hrs.)[/size=1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Most states have laws which dictate how you must terminate an employee. Most of the time, it is not followed completely. Thus, the legal room. The most common is that many states require the employer to immediately cash-out the terminated employee that day. This is everything including all monies owed in vaction, sick, and being held for a ESOP.

Most employment law attorneys know that they will find something in this area and will shake the tree to see if the employer blinks first.

Chances are, your mom's company will have to payout one month's pay to each. This is fairly typical. However, states do vary and I don't know FL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top