Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2011 7:42:26 PM EDT
I recently moved.

Most of my tools got sent to my dad's house in the move - so they wouldn't get lost.

Well, three days or so into the new house, I had the urge to tinker with a gun, so I head down to the nearest hardware store to buy some good screwdrivers. I asked the clerk where they kept their hollow-ground screwdrivers........he led me to the one-size-fits-none flat-ground aisle. When I pressed him on the subject, he showed me.........a more expensive brand of flat-ground screwdriver.

Ok, point taken: I'm gonna have to order online.

So......brownells magna-tips, or what?
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I think Brownell's would have them. I have a set of CH screw drivers that I bought years ago. Served me very faithfully, without mess up the screw heads.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Chapman set I got from Muzzleloader Builder Supply.     I am pretty sure Brownells and some others sell them as well.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Brownells definitely has them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the Wheeler Engineering set from Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Got mine from Brownells
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Wheeler set I got from a hardware store I used to work for. Good screwdrivers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Get the Wheeler Engineering set from Amazon.

The 89 piece looks like a nice set, especially with some of the harder to find specialty tips.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, guys.

I have a Chapman set that's probably 20 years od and I love them, but hate to haul them around (until the wife and I are settled in one house for the long term) because I don't want to lose them (sentimental reasons).

I guess I'll look into brownell's magna-tips.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Walmart has a cheap set last I checked in the sporting goods/gun area.  Junk, but it gets the job done in a pinch.  Comes in a little red plastic case.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Walmart has a cheap set last I checked in the sporting goods/gun area.  Junk, but it gets the job done in a pinch.  Comes in a little red plastic case.

yep, thats the set i have, the thin ones will bend and are shit but the bigger ones do the job. Its made by winchester and its by all the other gun stuff. I think it was $9.99
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, thats the set i have, the thin ones will bend and are shit but the bigger ones do the job. Its madelabelledby winchester and its by all the other gun stuff. I think it was $9.99

fixed. Winchester just puts their name on it to be more attractive to Fudds. "Winchester made this, it must be good".
The "Winchester" bipod walmart sells is the same one that used to say Shooter's Ridge on it until roughly 18 months ago. IIRC even the same barcode.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, thats the set i have, the thin ones will bend and are shit  

QFT

I bent 1 bit, and broke 1 bit trying to remove a stuck screw on a Marlin 336.

Then I broke 2 filler screws for a Winchester 94 with the smallest bit.

Save your cash for a better set.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the official blue boxed Dillon set, looks to be discontinued.  Before that I had a Chapman set which I was pleased with but I got Blue Fever and got the Dillon set instead
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, thats the set i have, the thin ones will bend and are shit  

QFT

I bent 1 bit, and broke 1 bit trying to remove a stuck screw on a Marlin 336.

Then I broke 2 filler screws for a Winchester 94 with the smallest bit.

Save your cash for a better set.

Even the chapmans aren't immune to breakage.....well, really, any tiny little screwdriver blade can be broke. I chipped one not too long ago trying to remove a screw that someone else had boogered up with a flat-ground screwdriver......grrr!

edit: also gonna look at the wheeler engineering set....
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:05:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Brownells and Forrester.
I have fixed blade sets and interchangeable bit sets from Brownells and a complete set of Forrester fixed blade drivers.

Here is na tip.
The Brownells drivers are best for grinding down to fit specific screws and the Forrester set will fit a wide variety of the most common gun screw slots as is. HTH
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Brownells and Forrester.
I have fixed blade sets and interchangeable bit sets from Brownells and a complete set of Forrester fixed blade drivers.

Here is na tip.
The Brownells drivers are best for grinding down to fit specific screws and the Forrester set will fit a wide variety of the most common gun screw slots as is. HTH

I've done that a few times with a couple of my chapmans. Recently, though, I've been sacrificing some el cheapos from an office christmas gift ( ) for that purpose.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Thing about the Brownells is they will last and last. You won't sacrifice anything and if the tip evver breaks, they will replace the driver, even if you have ground it down.
I know nthis as fact because they have replaced a few for me and several driver bits that finally gave up the ghost, no questions asked as advertised.

Both Brownells and Forrester are great sets and I really can't recommend them highly enough!
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I use these

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080330/28812/WERA-Screwdriver-6-Piece-Set-with-Laser-Tip.aspx
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Brownells FTW
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been looking for a good set as well.

Can anyone recommend a specific set at Brownells?
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been looking for a good set as well.

Can anyone recommend a specific set at Brownells?

I started with the Standard Set No. 1 w/ Magnetic LE (medium size) Handle also ordered the full size #81 Solid Handle

I like them enough that over the years I accumulated quite the collection of bits and handles, I always seem to add on a few bits to my cart when I buy something.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Chapman.

100% American-made.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Why are hollow-ground screw drivers so desirable?
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Better fit - they engage the full depth of the slot instead of only the top edge, so they're a lot less likely to strip the slots.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better fit - they engage the full depth of the slot instead of only the top edge, so they're a lot less likely to strip the slots.

Gotcha.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does hollow-ground mean?
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought one of these at some time in the past, and it's done everything I've needed it to.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does hollow-ground mean?

Hollow-ground screwdriver tip at bottom of image:

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#30]
From Grace. American made, great value. They can make custom fit also, for odd sized screws.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hollow-ground screwdriver tip at bottom of image:
http://scopedin.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/reviews/bench/forster/compare.gif  

Awesome. thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#32]
FWIW, I ordered the Lyman Magdriver when I put a order into Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=630991

Pretty good general purpose hollow-ground set for the cash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top