Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2002 1:32:23 PM EDT
Uh...... how can I phrase this without being deleted?  Uh... there were certain people..... during the Viet Nam conflict........who tried to avoid the mess!  Some were successful.  How did they do that!????

DaMan
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If you lived in CA and you came from rich or influential parents, it was relatively easy to get to know people on the local draft board and influence your classification.  If you were a poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks, you were 1A if physically fit, whether or not you were in college.  I was the latter.  I was turned down for deferrment twice before my lottery, even though a full-time student with good grades.  BTW - in case you missed my other post, I had to take a physical long before my lottery, at the armed services building on Wilshire Blvd. in L.A.  My 1A classification came within a month of that visit, even though my lottery was months away.  I was drawn number 17 and they called the first 135, so I enlisted before my draft notice came.  My Mom told me it came while I was in basic.

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
They went to Canada, and should have stayed there. Thanks to Jimmy they are back!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top