Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2002 6:56:08 AM EDT
Good morning all...I would like to report on my trip to Californistan.
Birch Aquarium at Scripps---wonderful, well-run professional aquarium with excellent exhibits
California Kid---yep- he is now a tourist attraction--introduced me to a neighborhood bar called Sparky's----if you are any where near it go now..the entire clientele introduced themselves and talked to us like we were family.
San Diego Zoo--unbelievable--as a zoo junky I was really impressed by the animals that I had never seen or heard of before.
Coronado...nice beach
March Air Force Base...do I have to tell anyone how wonderful it is to have a girlfriend that gets excited by a Blackbird?
Torrey Pines State reserve....stunning views and
a sea lion on the beach
A very busy four days and I will post pics soon..
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in the sunshine state, except for the "oppresive" gun laws, it is a really nice place.

Next time if you have time try to visit the S.D. Wild Animal Park, it is an affliate of the S.D. Zoo. It is a like hiking in the wilds without actually going into the wilds.  If you look hard, you can find a Coke machine for a cold one.

If you enjoyed the Scripps Aquarium you will enjoy the Monterey Bay Aquarium in N. Calif. It is about 3 or 4 times the size of the Scripps Aquarium. The Monterey Bay Aquarium has a website, do a google search.

From San Diego you should try to drive north on the somewhat narrow and curvy Highway 101 aka the Coast Route, it goes by some real spectacular coastline around central Calif. It will add serveral hours more to drive it, rather than go up the inland route on Frwy 5, but it is well worth it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I also just got back from San diego. Beutiful place.Stayed at the Hillcrest district.Thought it was strange not seeing too many children.When I asked someone that worked in one of the restaurants I was told this area is a upscale gay area.Sorta like Capitol hill in Seattle.LOL
my children loved the zoo and Sea world.

Coronado was beutiful but the cops were all over the place.saw the Seals in the rubber boats out on the water.

Went to the aeronatical museum.what a great place.

Tried to find a real mexican restaurant but all I found were fast food mexican and chain mexican.

I was surprise how expensive the housing is down there.

almost on par with the Seattle area. 300k is the median price of a home in san diego.

if I ahd to move somewhere San diego would be a great place.

BTW which carrier is moored at the base out there??

CVN 68 or 69

Thanks for all the sugestions
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top