Rec'd this subject:
       CT: "Assault Weapons"
  Date:
       Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:33:00 -0400
       "Robert Crook"
    To:

Getting a lot of e-mails similar to below. This is not legal advice but - Keep
your gun - Do nothing yet. We expect to solve
this problem soon in the legislature. Negotiations ongoing now. We expect a corrective
bill to pass within the next week
before the end of session (May 8). We'll do the best we can to protect you from
arrest and insure you can keep the guns
purchased. More to follow.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 10:33 PM
Subject: sar 1 in CONNECTICUT

TODAY (4-29) I CALLED THE CT. DEPT. OF PUBLIC SAFETY FIREARMS UNIT AND
INQUIRED AS TO THE STATUS OF THE SAR 1 AK-STYLE RIFLE IN CONNECTICUT. I WAS  
TOLD THE
RIFLE IS CONSIDERED AN ASSAULT RIFLE AND IS INCLUDED IN THE 1993 BAN. POSSESSION
OF THE
SAR1 IS AGAINST THE LAW. I TOLD HIM I LEGALLY  PURCHASED IT AT HOFFMAN'S GUN
STORE 2
MONTHS AGO. HE SAID THAT I DIDN'T  PURCHASE IT LEGALLY BECAUSE IT IS NOT A STATE
LEGAL
FIREARM. HE TOLD ME I  CAN SURRENDER IT TO THEM, MAKE IT INOPERABLE, SELL IT
TO AN OUT OF
STATE  DEALER OR ASK HOFFMAN'S FOR MY MONEY BACK-OR SUE HOFFMAN'S IN SMALL
CLAIMS COURT. HE SAID THE 1993 BAN INCLUDES THE AVTOMAT KALASHNIKOV AK-47 TYPE.
THE
SAR 1, HE CLAIMS, IS AN AK-47 "TYPE" AND THEREFORE ILLEGAL. WHAT DO I MAKE OF
THIS?  IF THE
SAR 1 IS AN ILLEGAL ASSAULT WEAPON HOW THEN HAS HOFFMAN'S GUN  DEALERS NOT BEEN
ARRESTED? HOFFMAN'S HAS, I'VE NOTICED, REMOVED THEM FROM  THE SALES FLOOR. I
WANT TO
KEEP THIS GUN. WHAT IS GOING ON?  THANKS

s tonight
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one from Hoffman's too.  They were for sale there for quite a while.  I don't think they removed them from the shelves, I think they just ran out of inventory.

CT bans specific makes and models.  If "AK-47 type" guns are banned, then "AR-15 type" guns would be outlawed as well.  If you go to Hoffman's and look behind the used handgun case, you'll see all sorts of "AR-15 type" rifles.  

If you go to Newington Gun Exhange, you'll see "AR-15 type" guns as well as "FAL types."  

Keep mind that all these guys deal with local, state, and federal LE agencies all the time.  If there was something wrong, I'm confident that they would know about it.

No offense to those who wear the uniform, but cops are just about THE WORST source for legal information.

In short, you're fine.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Advice:

Buy SAR

Shoot SAR

Clean SAR

Put In safe

Keep mouth shut

Repeat

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that is bull.  You need to talk to Det. Joe Kubish at the CT State Police Firearms Unit in Middletown.  They are the only ones who know what's going on.  It is not uncommon for the Dept. of Public Numbnuts to not know what is going on.  In the past three years I haven't seen any gun stores in the Stamford area without SAR's for sale.  There are tons of SAR's every open-rifle & pistol weekend at Wooster Mountain in Danbury.

If these a-holes use this as an excuse to ban the SAR's I will be UNGODLY PISSED.

Edited b/c I'm a moron and forgot the whole purpose of my post.  I called CT State 5-0 Firearms Unit last November when I was looking at buying SAR's.  Det. Joe Kubish, who I was refered to by an FFL (my friend's father), explained that if the receiver isn't stamped "AK47", its not subject to the AW ban.  He said as long as the SAR's don't have any markings on them that read AK47 they are legal.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I think i'll call that det. tomorrow. I hope this is all b/s. Thanks for the info slt223.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Try this number:

State Weapons unit phone number 860-685-8290

I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow as well, first damn thing in the morning.  Let me know who you get and what they say.  We should compare notes to see if there is consistency in what the two of us are told in the event we don't get Det. Kubish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top