Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2002 4:46:25 PM EDT
I just turned 40, and I'm reliving my childhood by trying to locate and buy some old toys and was wondering what you all had as your favorite childhood toys?  I had GI JOE, Major Matt Mason, Vertibird, and Matchboxes. Plus, does anyone remember Sea-Devils, or Billy Blastoff?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
GI Joes plastic Army men walkie talkies
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Ruger 10/22
Colt Woodsman
WW2 Colt 1911A1
Colt SP1

Other corporate icon toys:

G.I. Joe (the little plastic ones)
Radio Control anything (I had a couple cars I built by the time as I was 8, as well as an airplane, boat, and helicopter later in life)
Red Rider BB gun
Big Wheel (had 3 because I kept wearing the wheels out)
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Anybody remember " Stompers" they were little battery powered cars and trucks. They were cool as hell. I haven't seen a single one in the past 10 years. I have alot more expensive toys now.[:)]  CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Black Powder and Matches

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
GI Joe (tons of stuff)
Major Matt Mason
Johnny Seven One Man Army Rifle
Hot Wheels
Tonka trucks
Daisy BB gun
Whizzers
About a jillion plastic models of cars, planes, tanks, and famous movie monsters.
Chemistry set
Board games esp. Monopoly and Risk
Pool table
Cox gas powered planes
bicycle (with ape-hangers, banana seat, and sissy bar)
I could go on.  I love to cruise ebay and see what this stuff sells for now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]
My mom used to keep a children's kind of diary for herself and she gave it to me recently and I always asked for a rifle for Christmas or my birthday from age 5 on up.  I guess some things will never change although I certainly don't consider a rife a toy now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a big box of stuff in the attic at my dad's house. I haven't seen any of that stuff in 25 years. I know there are Matchbox, Hotwheels, A/FX cars and track, HO and American Flyer trains, and who knows what else. Now you have me thinking about getting all that crap and bringing it home.

The coolest thing I had, but it's long gone now, was my Schwinn Orange Crate bike. It sucked for long distances, but it was COOL around the neighborhood. It had a small fron wheel and a drum brake, stick shift, rear slick.... Damn those were the days.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Adventure People by Fisher Price
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
A talking Bugs Bunny doll.  Pull the string and it'd ask "What's up, Doc?"

Also, a very ornate toy camel.

Sigh.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to have one of those cap muskets that fired the cork ball.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Crosman M-1 Carbine,still have it and the magazine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#13]
At a pistol match a few months back, myself and one of my fellow shooters were "reliving our childhood", and talking about the things we had as kids that we wished we still owned.  The two things I missed most were a wallet that my dad had made for me, and a Daisy Spittin Image (copy of Winchester 94 carbine) BB gun.  The shooter, a proficient "ebayer", said that I could probably find one of the BB guns online.  I hated to break it to those poor guys bidding against me, but I would have paid more than the cost of the real gun.  It sits in the back of my gun safe in the original box, and I can visit my childhood whenever I want.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anybody remember " Stompers" they were little battery powered cars and trucks. They were cool as hell. I haven't seen a single one in the past 10 years. I have alot more expensive toys now.[:)]  CAPITALIST
View Quote

I bet mine is in my garage-- when I move, I will unpack everything and hopefullyfind it, along with several of my other cool toys!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Mattel "Fanner Fifty" cap pistol
Plastic Thompson 45 Subgun
Cap grenades
(my best friend had a fifty cal ..battery powdered)
Rubber bowie knife
Shrunken Heads
Steel Pot
Web Gear
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Crosman M-1 Carbine,still have it and the magazine.
View Quote

Now THAT, I'd like to see!

I recall the Erector Set (all metal, thankyou!)

Legos (back when there was more imagination involved) [:D]

and (ahemmm) the neighbor girl [:D]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Daisy model 25. The one that looks like a slide action shotgun..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a Remington New Model Army breaktop cap gun that I wouldn't go anywhere without. BTW, do you know that when you soak a roll of caps in gasoline and hit them with a hammer they kind of explode into a ball of fire? [:D]

Evel Knievel motorcycles (also had the van you could set them up to jump over)

Model fighter planes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]
More GI Joes and their related equipment than I can remember (and wish I still had-that stuff is worth a FORTUNE now!) I had the Mercury capsule, undersea sled and about 50 uniforms for thopse suckers. My favorite was the camoflage. No small wonder-my girlfriend calls woodlands camo my favorite color. I also had a shitload of western sixshooters, some capguns and others not. I had the "apple crate" bike. Was way cool-until you parked your testicles on that 5 speed shifter when you hit the front drum brake too hard. Didn't get my first BB gun until I was 12-and it was a Daisy model 25 also. I lived in St. Louis as a kid when they were tearing down a bunch of apartments to put in Hwy 44, and let me tell you, the war games were superb.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#20]
LEGOs
Fireworks
Models

The greatest fun was combining the fireworks and my old broken models for the finsl send off.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#21]
gi joes
legos
transformers
my playing army gear
model airplanes that don't actually fly
remote control car
ho scale trains
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#23]
fire
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Airguns & Firecrackers
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Zeroids
6 Million Dollar Man doll
Sea Monkeys (well, they're sorta' toys)
Magnifying glass + ants
Stretch Armstrong
Water rockets
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#26]
GI joes
Toy guns
fireworks
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I had the "apple crate" bike. Was way cool-until you parked your testicles on that 5 speed shifter when you hit the front drum brake too hard.
View Quote

Damn...now thats a blast from the past!  Weren't the siblings of the "Apple Crate", the "Lemon Peeler" and the "Pea Picker"?  I was SO jealous of the kids that had any one of those.  

I guess I'm as warped as I am because of the trauma caused by me begging my parents to buy me a pair of Jack Purcell tennis shoes (the rage in 1972) and them telling me to get bent and wear the pieces of crap they would buy for me on sale at Woolworths.  They would usually last about two weeks if I was lucky.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
fire
View Quote

You can't bring fire on the plane!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
fire
View Quote

You can't bring fire on the plane!!!
View Quote

[V]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I had this cool General Custer plastic doll (at least I think it was Custer). It came with the horse and a cool sword (don't let little kids jump off of chairs with the sword in their hands or an ear drum may end up punctured - don't ask ;) ). Naturally I had the green army men who hung out in cool Lincoln Log forts and such also. I really miss Custer though :( No collection could be complete without a red wagon to tow behind your big wheel (flatbed wrecker sorta setup). LoL. Ahh, the good ole days...
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#31]
army men
small 80's era gi joes
and my bb gun
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Masters of the Universe
80s GIJoes
Transformers(gotta love Megatron)
crates of plastic toy preban guns right before the postban REDMUZZLE and funky colored ones came out.But I had black paint for that...........
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Daisy BB guns
Sheridan pump pellet guns
Crossman C02 semi-auto BB guns
Homemade blackpowder (when you could still buy all the ingredients at the local pharmacy)
M80's
Fireworks
Anything that went bang or exploded

And to think I still have all my fingers.

Although, I still have a piece of shrapnel in my gut from the time I made a homemade muzzleloader using an old BB gun, blackpowder, and shotgun primers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:10:53 AM EDT
[#34]
What a fond memory you cued:  I had a "Monkey Division" bazooka.  The wiffle-ball shells wouldn't go very far until I figured out how to soup up the spring, and then I spent hours poking Play-do into the shells to give them some weight.  We were playing after school one day when an older kid we were all afraid of (Raymo, if you're reading this, I apologize again ...) charged our position.  My comrades-in-arms broke and ran.  I would have succumbed to the panic of the route, too, but I was the smallest of the bunch and encumbered by my heavy weaponry.  Raymo made eye contact with me; I knew I'd been singled out and decided to sell myself dear.  I was laying in a trench.  Raymo was charging me as fast as he could run.  The pound of hardened Play-do hit him square between the eyes at a range of about two meters.  I thought I'd killed him.  I hope modern cosmetic surgery was eventually able to do something about the scar.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Six Million Dollar man with Bionic Eye...

Battlestar Galactica Spaceship and action figures..

Star Wars action figures..

Fisher Price action figures..

Matchbox and hotwheels cars..

Tonka trucks..
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:31:40 AM EDT
[#36]
- NASA space helmet
-Lincoln Logs
-Legos
-plastic army men....Fort Apache play set
-toy guns...burp gun, M16, M1 Garand
-Hot Wheels and Sizzlers
-rotten apples and a stick to fling them with
-mud
-fireworks

Anyone remember what the plastic cars that you powered by pulling a nylon strip with teeth on it were called (circa 1972)?

Or the tops that you would rub against the floor to get the inside spinning (1969)?

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:37:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes.  I had a Johnny Eagle set.  It was a lever action rifle and a SAA that used spring-loaded cartridges to shoot plastic bullets.
Anybody else have a Thing-Maker?  I had the creepycrawlies set and an accessory set of molds to make shrunken heads, skeletons, and such.
Did anybody else have the Star Trek gun that shot the little plastic disks?
I always wanted the Gold Knight and the Silver Knight.  They looked really cool and the kid down the block had them, as well as most of the Johnny West family of action figures.

To this very day I would [b]kill[/b] for an Electroshot Shooting Gallery (by Marx).
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Being from the early boomer period, my favorites were tinker toys and Lincoln logs, closely followed by the girl next door.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:05:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What a fond memory you cued:  I had a "Monkey Division" bazooka.  The wiffle-ball shells wouldn't go very far until I figured out how to soup up the spring, and then I spent hours poking Play-do into the shells to give them some weight.  We were playing after school one day when an older kid we were all afraid of (Raymo, if you're reading this, I apologize again ...) charged our position.  My comrades-in-arms broke and ran.  I would have succumbed to the panic of the route, too, but I was the smallest of the bunch and encumbered by my heavy weaponry.  Raymo made eye contact with me; I knew I'd been singled out and decided to sell myself dear.  I was laying in a trench.  Raymo was charging me as fast as he could run.  The pound of hardened Play-do hit him square between the eyes at a range of about two meters.  I thought I'd killed him.  I hope modern cosmetic surgery was eventually able to do something about the scar.
View Quote

Dude...nice shot!

Those SST's where cool.  I had three of those Hot Wheels storage crates full of mint HotWheels and Matchbox cars I had gotten between 74 and 82.  I was very anal about taking care of them.  I traded them when I got to be a teen.  I remember playing in the alleys of Milwaukee on the south side with Mattel toy M-16's and cap guns.  We were all the good guys though LOL!  Had a big screen TV box half full of legos..all the cool ones.  I built a Shithook out of them once.  Had the full set of Hardy Boys books.  My Crosman 766 American Classic was awesome....not a day went by that my best friend and I didn't argue over who's was better, mine, or his Daisy 880.  They both shot county highway signs and blackbirds the same though.  My first bb gun was a Daisy 840 I think it was...single pump repeater.  Got it for my 12th birthday.  I wore that sucker out in less than a year hiking all over the countryside, and got the Crosman next.  
We were pretty poor in a single parent household, so all my cool stuff got sold or traded so that I could buy that Crosman and move into cooler bicycles, and then dirtbikes and music equipment and such.  I was always horsetrading with friends.  One of the cool bikes I had was a used but mint Schwinn, Apple Crate I think?  It was metallic green, ape hangers, banana seat, and a three speed with shifter.

Ahh, youth.  I still think they should shut the country down during June, July and August, and give EVERYBODY off LOL.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a ton of the small GI Joes

Some Star Wars action figures that usually battled the 'Joes

Lots of the good old school Legos, I still break out the Tecnick sets with the gears and pnuematics (I was an engineer from day one)

A few assorted Hotwheels and Matchbox cars

Civil War style toy rifles and pistols

A beautiful (fake) Gold Plated Winchester Lever gun that shot the strip caps that i got from my uncle. (it still has a place in the gun cabinate)

I had an Uzi, Tec-9 and MAC squirt gun (they all broke except the UZI, hmmmm)

And the piece de resistance...a Matel M-16 that was my uncle's.  It made a really cool machine gun sound and was close to the real size. I used to do raids with my friends in his barns. Unfortuantly my grandparents took the M-16 from me because they thought it was worth a ton of money and wouldn't let me play with it anymore. I would blame this on Antiques Roadshow but it wasn't around then.  I wonder what ever happened to that...  

...Maybe repressed childhood memories made my buy the AR???

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Tonka trucks!! Also had a nice collection of Star Wars action figures but I put 'em in the cabs of my tonkas and shot them with my pellet guns. What a tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top