BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2002 3:15:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/arnet75b.html[/url]

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
oragel (available in most any store) will dull the pain, and everythig else in the mouth..
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Super glue
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
There is stuff to mold on the tooth to help until you can get in. The tongue will hurt the most until then.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a molar break and I used the file on my multitool to file the tooth's sharp edges off,  it had to come out anyway so I wasn't doing something that might jeopardize the tooth. And filing it down did make the time until I got in to see the dentist less troublesome and annoying.  My tongue was getting really raw from always wanting to go to it so I cleaned the file off with bleach and hot water and had at it, no pain involved,nothing.  [BD]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
This discussion reminds me of the scene in "castaway" where he performs self-dentistry with the end of an ice skate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
1. any pharmacy should have a product named:
  denTemp (dental temporary). Contains some clove oil that is soothing.
  mix thick for a temporary filling or thin as a luting cement for a crown.

2. Wet a teabag and place it next to the tooth in the buccal mucosa. That is good for pain.

btw-if a patient has an emergency-- you make time for them THAT day!  Takes 5 min to temporize a tooth. I don't see how anyone with a sincere desire to serve a patient can go home and sit around enjoying themselves, knowing a patient is suffering. My advice--find someone who cares and gives a damn about their patients. Would they see their own family in such a case? A conscience is a terrible thing to waste or not possess.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#11]
No joke, if there is no exposed nerve as you've indicated by the "no pain" statement. I had this happen once before. I cleaned it well and dried it. Then I used super glue. By the time that I went to the dentist it was still working okay. You just have to be careful while eating and only chew on the other side. Check it at night before sleeping. I'm not saying that it was a good idea but it worked.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll have to forgive me as Iam a man of little words. Ive done this it works great as a temp fix. OUT
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Dentemp.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it's time for the old string and doorknob routine. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Three things:
1. Dental insurance should cover an emergency visit.  Most do, not all.

2. I have picked up many patients by them being infuriated over the "I'm too busy for you" deal. It takes so little time to temporize that kind of siutation, we either don't charge or submit it to the insurance company and if they don't pay, we don't bill the patient. It is not that complicated and involved and time-consuming of a procedure. Greediness will come back on you (the Dr.).

3. Don't look in the Yellow Pages for the biggest ad. Those large ads mean they are desparate for business. Usually, do patch work that is not good for long-term fixes. They put out fires and never do comprehensive evaluations and restorative work. There is good-better-best. Best costs more, but lasts longer. Higher initial cost, but usually less over time as it does not fail and have to be "re-done".  Buy vs rent. The smallest ads in the Yellow Pages mean they don't need to advertise. WORD OF MOUTH is best advertsing. One happy patient tells others. One good indication is to see who the "dentists-dentist" is. Who do the other dentists go to for work? Ask co-workers, church members, etc.  The reason I mention see who the dentists go to is--some patients don't have a high dental IQ. They only know if you hurt them or not. So, check out their work. See if it looks natural or you can tell it's man-made and fake looking.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Does toothpaste do anything other than leave a minty taste? I ran out two weeks ago and have been using salt ever since then. (A friend told me that salt works just as well, so I gave it a shot.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top