Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2002 10:17:42 AM EDT
Has DU.com or some other force for evil and stupidity just lately found out about us, or can anyone think of a better explanation for the sudden appearance of a number of eager trolls on the board?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I give up, why are you here [:K]_22 ??

Muhaha!

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#4]
F U L L  M O O N ! ? !
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does my appearance look sudden to you, DaRedSheep?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's not so much the trolls.  They'll come and go, but one and another will [i]always[/i] be with us.
The basic problem is that folks can't resist the urge to feed them (and I've done it, too, dammit).
These clowns get their jollies by getting attention; good, bad, doesn't matter.  They love the [b]attention[/b].
Indifference is what they hate, and that's exactly what [b]we[/b] should give them.
View Quote

That, and the fact that they seem to be permitted to run loose and play their reindeer games with abandon, huh?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Or maybe it's just another case of "Full-Moon-Madness."

Sometimes it's vicious infighting, sometimes it's trolls, and sometimes it's goofy threads like yesterday. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Who knows, I just ig em anyway.

I was seriously thinking of calling in arty :)

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Does my appearance look sudden to you, DaRedSheep?
View Quote

View Quote

Somehow you seem vaguely familiar, but I just can't seem to place your face...  [;)]

TheRedGoat

BTW, I forgot to post this in the "inter-service jokes" thread:

Q:  What does human feces sound like when it goes through an electric fan....

A:  Muuuhhhhrrreeeeeeeaaannnnn!

My Airforce buddy (6'5" 250) likes to tell that one alot.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Trolls are attracted to sites that display a high degree of hostility between participants.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I got here February 2001, beat ya!

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's not so much the trolls.  They'll come and go, but one and another will [i]always[/i] be with us.
The basic problem is that folks can't resist the urge to feed them (and I've done it, too, dammit).
These clowns get their jollies by getting attention; good, bad, doesn't matter.  They love the [b]attention[/b].
Indifference is what they hate, and that's exactly what [b]we[/b] should give them.
View Quote

But eviscerating trolls is what [b]I[/b] get [b]MY[/b] jollies doing!

[chainsawkill]

[:K][heavy]

[kill]

[frag]

[pyro][:K]

[XX(] [devil]

[bounce]

[beer]

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

TheRedGoat
View Quote

Actually, it says that you got here in January, 2001. Reeding is your frend, huh? R you huked on foniks?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#16]
It is a good thing for them to come here and be exposed to the truth.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

TheRedGoat
View Quote

So the definition of troll is some one who Registers after you or has less posts than you?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I would say that a troll is identified by their conduct: trolling. But a ridiculously high post count in a very short time is a danger sign.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Trolls are attracted to sites that display a high degree of hostility between participants.
View Quote

your a lover not a fighter
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#20]
[size=5]The original Troll![/size=5]

Like a nasty Herpes infection trolls are ever present if not festering on the surface. Poke at them, itch them and they just get worse.

The actions of the trolls bring out the worse in those that post here on a regular basis that would otherwise not post such crap.

Most trolls weren't loved enough my their parents and have some irrational hate towards someone or something else.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

TheRedGoat
View Quote

So the definition of troll is some one who Registers after you or has less posts than you?
View Quote

Beat you both!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Just as certain cretins and members of the [b][i]Corvus[/i][/b] family of birds are drawn to bright shiny objects, so it is with trolls!

They see the splendor of this site, its droll wit, the quality of the participants, the real substance and knowledge found in all of our discussions, and their little beady eyes covet what they have found, and what they so lack in their own tortured lives.

Well.

It's either that, or they're still coming here looking for BOTD threads![:D]

A good whack on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper and they will be on their dim-witted way again!

Luckily, they do not mate or spawn.

Eric The(Responsible)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FWIW, I've locked three threads today, not that I take any joy in it.  Necessary, is all.
If you have problems with the moderation on this site, you always have the option to discuss it personally with the Moderator you differ with, or "take it upstairs".  Your call.
View Quote

I have, and will continue to do so as long as there is an obvious inconsistency in which of the the "Forums Conduct Codes" are being enforced.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#24]
ETH

Luckily, they do not mate or spawn.

I have to dissagree with you on this one ETH.

Just look at Chelsea.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd be more inclined to call them tools. Damn, I like that word.

-T.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#27]
greetings,
long time shooter, but relatively new to message boards;  what is a troll?  in the fishing sense, as in dragging a controversial topic through the mix, hoping to start an argument?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

But, Mac, that makes you a Troll.

Let's just ignore the troll posts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

But, Mac, that makes you a Troll.

Let's just ignore the troll posts.
View Quote

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would say that a troll is identified by their conduct: trolling. But a ridiculously high post count in a very short time is a danger sign.
View Quote

Trolling is in the quality, not content of a member's postings.

If a member hasn't posted troll-posts, he hasn't trolled.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Could you be more specific?

Edited to add:  I'll be away fron the site for a little while, and so unable to respond in a timely manner.  If you have any issues you want to discuss with me personally, please e-mail me.
View Quote

I have, haven't I raf? But I don't mind repeating myself.

Personal attacks and [b]trolling[/b] are allowed to continue for pages and pages, yet any hint of anyone standing up to a troll or personal attack is deemed a pissing match and shut down.

People who post inflammatory or controversial topics are occasionally banned and then given back their posting privileges, while obvious trolls toil on continuously, seemingly under the radar of those with the juice to put them out of business.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#33]
[:K]'s taste like chicken!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
greetings,
long time shooter, but relatively new to message boards;  what is a troll?  in the fishing sense, as in dragging a controversial topic through the mix, hoping to start an argument?
View Quote

Not all controversial topics are trolling. Some controversial topics are taken serious by multiple members.

Trolling is "Either to piss someone off or simply for your personal enjoyment."

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would say that a troll is identified by their conduct: trolling. [b]But a ridiculously high post count in a very short time is a danger sign.[/b]
View Quote

Blaze-Of-Glory
[}:D]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#36]
It seems that we have many definitions of a troll here, so who would be the finale arbitrator on this? [:D]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It seems that we have many definitions of a troll here, so who would be the finale arbitrator on this? [:D]
View Quote

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?id=25[/url]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

That is what I put the smiley up for.[;)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You've only been here a few weeks, partner. Since the electrons that make up that announcement can't make any actual decisions, why not step back and let the folks who run the show make that call, mmkay?
That would be Goatboy, EdAvilaSr and DonR for the most part, as well as the legion of moderators and lesser cacodemons.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

And you have 2710 in 15 months?  Wouldn't you consider averaging 180 posts per month kinda high?  Incriminating yourself?  Take the Fifth while you can.  

Wouldn't content of the posts be more a defining measure, than frequency.  

223REM
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You've only been here a few weeks, partner. Since the electrons that make up that announcement can't make any actual decisions, why not step back and let the folks who run the show make that call, mmkay?
That would be Goatboy, EdAvilaSr and DonR for the most part, as well as the legion of moderators and lesser cacodemons.
View Quote

Of course the staff can do whatever they want. Earlier posts questioned whether high post-counts and controversial topics might constitute trolling, and the Forum Code answers 'no'. But we agree, the staff can do what they want.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#42]
So everyone gets pissy about the Forum Conduct Codes when it comes to "trolls" - the definition of which is quite subjective - but when Steyr Aug calls another member an "asshole" repeatedly, as he did in one of kentstate4's threads, it's ignored.  That's quite selective!  Again, it's good to know "asshole" is an acceptable term now to decribe each other in here.

Assholes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And you have 2710 in 15 months?  Wouldn't you consider averaging 180 posts per month kinda high?  Incriminating yourself?  Take the Fifth while you can.  

Wouldn't content of the posts be more a defining measure, than frequency.  

223REM
View Quote

Did I say "defining measure?" I don't believe I did. Let me check.....nope.

I said "danger sign." There's a difference.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So everyone gets pissy about the Forum Conduct Codes when it comes to "trolls" - the definition of which is quite subjective - but when Steyr Aug calls another member an "asshole" repeatedly, as he did in one of kentstate4's threads, it's ignored.  That's quite selective!  Again, it's good to know "asshole" is an acceptable term now to decribe each other in here.

Assholes.
View Quote

Trolling is one thing. Calling a spade a spade is another.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Post from Jarhead_22 -
...lesser cacodemons.
View Quote

Neato! I think I like that title best of all!

Eric The(LesserCacodemon)Hun[>]:)]

Yep, that looks pretty high falutin from my vantage point!

Not to be confused with the [b]'lesser cacoDaMan'[/b], and infinitely more sociable.

Post from jobux -
Again, it's good to know "asshole" is an acceptable term now to describe each other in here.
View Quote

I'll pass on the 'a-hole' appellation if you don't mind!

Eric The(Picayunish)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#46]
So jarhead, that's a "spade" according to you.  Taking that logic & extending it:  a troll to DaMan is someone who supports Israel in any way, a troll to some other posters is anyone who questions what happened to the USS Liberty, a troll to Steyr is someone who think that what happened at Kent State was wrong.  Eye of the beholder.  

That's all fine and dandy, but last I checked this was a General Discussion board where you weren't required to toe the party line - as long as you followed the board rules.  Funny thing is, if kentstate4 had called Steyr an asshole he'd prob be banned & his post locked, but if Steyr does it, it's ignored.  Funny.

If you disagree w/ someone why do so many of you find it difficult to either:
a: IGNORE THEM
or
b: DEBATE THEM LIKE INTELLIGENT HUMANS
???

Like children, the first thing many here do when they disagree is resort to name calling & personal attacks.  Then, hypocritically, when the "troll" turns around & does the same, people call out to the high heavens for the mods to take action.  LMFAO!  

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#47]
So SOMEONES TROLL IS ANOTHER PERSONS CHAMPION.

Huh... IT IS DU.
Hmmm, something very fishy here. DaMan, could be DuMan... OOOH

Ben
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So jarhead, that's a "spade" according to you.  Taking that logic & extending it:  a troll to DaMan is someone who supports Israel in any way, a troll to some other posters is anyone who questions what happened to the USS Liberty, a troll to Steyr is someone who think that what happened at Kent State was wrong.  Eye of the beholder.  

That's all fine and dandy, but last I checked this was a General Discussion board where you weren't required to toe the party line - as long as you followed the board rules.  Funny thing is, if kentstate4 had called Steyr an asshole he'd prob be banned & his post locked, but if Steyr does it, it's ignored.  Funny.

or
???

Like children, the first thing many here do when they disagree is resort to name calling & personal attacks.  Then, hypocritically, when the "troll" turns around & does the same, people call out to the high heavens for the mods to take action.  LMFAO!
View Quote

As for what course others may take, who can tell. But I try to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, and conduct myself to fairly respectful, factual debate until they take the low road. This frustrates me, because then they are using typical MillionMomMarch tactics and obviously can't be reasoned with. If you review some of my more heated exchanges on this forum, you'll see that I tried to stay civil even in the face of repeated insults and accusations. After the trolling and personal attacks were left alone for hours or sometimes days by the moderators, I upped the throttle a notch or two to try and make my point or get the information I was seeking. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

This goes with name-calling as well. With all that kentstate4 gets away with here, do you think that "asshole" would have any impact if the rest of his behavior is laughed off or ignored? Come on. And note that it was you who started making specific accusations on this thread, not me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Class...

[size=4]Class![/size=4]

[size=6]SHUT UPPPPP!!!![/size=6]

--Sister Mary Elephant
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
or
???

View Quote

You are absolutely correct.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top