Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2002 9:50:21 AM EDT
Yesterday while being interviewed by Katie (I like to get my ass probed on national TV) Currick on the Today show, Reginald Denny had the following gems:

Denny - I have never gotten my skull fixed...(still missing some bone in areas of his head, and his head has an obvious indentation)... I think of it as a suvenior.

Denny - (10 yrs ago) Echoing Rodney (I was in the wrong then, now I am a broke, drug addict felon that has been convicted of more crimes) King - cann't we all just get along.

Katie (question) - does it suprise you that one of your attackers was arrested last Friday for murder - in a crack house?

Denny - Yes, very much..... (thought the guy was going to change his life)

Does anyone find this amazing? Guy gets wacked with a brick, pleads for peace, is the butt of bad jokes in rap songs (Dr. Dre - "hit 'em with a brick, now I'm dancing"), and now days is flat assed baffeled that one of his attackers up for murder 10 yrs later.

Dumbass!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I find it amazing that the "victim" found it so natural and "christian" to forgive the murdering thugs who attacked him, but felt no compunction about suing the city for the same wrong.  Guess he'd feel even better if he was rich, huh?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, I find it amazing that the "victim" found it so natural and "christian" to forgive the murdering thugs who attacked him, but felt no compunction about suing the city for the same wrong.  Guess he'd feel even better if he was rich, huh?
View Quote

Damian "Football" Williams dint have no money, G! LA be havin' the bling bling, so they got to pay! Johnnie Cock-run say, "If tha man haid get wreck, you got to write da check!"

Oh, but that didn't work either, did it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#4]
If Reginald chooses to forgive his attackers that is his business.

The important thing is the facts of the situation are irrefutable. Mr. Denny being able to forgive his attackers is in stark contrast to those who riotted and attacked him over a legal judgement.

Despite his politics, I feel very sorry for him. He was just a working class slob who was victimized by a situation he did NOTHING to create.

Also if Mr. Denny became a rabid racist (as understandable as it may be) as a result of his attack, how would that help? In the eyes of most blacks and liberals it would justify the attack. He "was" a racist after all... Remember Bernard Goetz?

I only WISH Mr. Denny had a means of defense and escape available to him. I only wish he, and every other innocent person, escaped unharmed and with as little property loss as possible. No innocent person deserves what they got that day.

I also wish there had been more Koreans.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Denny isn't clueless, the media is.  Look, the poor guy was beaten senseless and has apparantly lost some brain function.  Who knows what he would have thought had they not caved his skull in.  Maybe he'd still be pissed.  I feel sorry for the guy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#7]
'You Deserve a Brick Today' at Denny's, Reginald Denny's that is.

We like to cook our eggs by separating the yolks and beating only the whites!

Eric The(RushDevotee)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I only WISH Mr. Denny had a means of defense and escape available to him
View Quote

All very well said, Senor AUG, but I have to take exception to the statement above. Reginald Denny was [b]sitting in[/b] his means of escape, and he chose not to use it. To be dragged out of it instead of grabbing a gear and rolling through the rioters and the intersection. Does that make him a humanitarian instead of a cold-hearted pragmatist? Only he will ever know.

For future reference, remember this:
Blood will easily wash off your truck.
Bricks, fire extinguishers and Air Jordans will not so easily wash off your skull.

You were especially spot-on about the Koreans: The only group that was prepared and organized enough to field an effective force in the face of complete abandonment by the political structure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Steyr-

It certainly is his business to forgive whomever he wants.

My problem is his claim to let bygones be bygones with the guy who hit him with a brick CONTRASTED with his hand out, I hit the lottery when they hit me attitude against the city.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Re: the Koreans, I dredge up this memory that I have suppressed for years. I swear this is true, which should be good enough for most here, except maybe Blaze of Glory.

Two newsreaders are sitting in the studio watching the silhouettes of heavily armed Koreans standing watch over at least a block of commercial propery which is NOT being burned or looted.  They are standing in plain view on the roof, the reason you can see them is that everything other than what they are gaurding is ON FIRE.

They are milling conspicuously with rifle and shotgun butts on their hips, not pointing the weapons at anyone.

One talking head says to the other..

wait for it...

barf bags out...

"I wonder if those assault weapons are registered?"

As if those guys had ANYTHING to do with the horrific wrong being carried out at that very moment by mostly UNARMED mobs.

Disgusting.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Reginald Denny was sitting in his means of escape, and he chose not to use it.
View Quote

True.  But the real problem is that he was still "playing by the rules" in a situation where "the rules" were no longer being enforced.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
True.  But the real problem is that he was still "playing by the rules" in a situation where "the rules" were no longer being enforced.
View Quote

True. That's the root of his failure to act to save himself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone ever hear of any "Koreans" who may have been later prosecuted for weapons violations after the riots? Were any of the weapons seen "not allowed" under Kali Kommie law?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"I wonder if those assault weapons are registered?"
View Quote

This type of thing is, I believe, the chief reason that mainstream (lamestream) media outlets are seeing their market shares drastically reduced.

On 09.11.01, I came to AR15.Com for my news, on lordtrader's thread, once I had seen the plane strike the second tower live. I walked away from the vapid rambling on TV and had a much better source of intel here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Those scumsuckers would have been Bouncing off the front of my Truck!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

All very well said, Senor AUG, but I have to take exception to the statement above. Reginald Denny was [b]sitting in[/b] his means of escape, and he chose not to use it.  
View Quote

First, I do believe traffic was pretty jammed, ie not moving. It is reasonable to assume he would have driven off had it been possible.

Second, as to the sidewalk/run em over contingency, not everyone was guilty. What if he ran over some little girl trying to escape as well? What if he ran over someone else who didn't deserve it? While you or I may have put that crap in gear and got the f*ck outta Dodge, he panicked and didn't. Not everyone is trained on how to conduct themselves during a riot.

Third, and he may very well have been motivated by this, if he did start driving over crip and blood speedbumps and failed to escape, the crowd would surely have killed him. Not that they didn't try. But he is alive, so who's to say he did the wrong thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Second, as to the sidewalk/run em over contingency, not everyone was guilty. What if he ran over some little girl trying to escape as well? What if he ran over someone else who didn't deserve it?
View Quote

Which is why I stopped short of placing any blame or fault on him. A very tough call to make if you're not in the driver's seat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Forgiving is not the same as condoning the racist attack. Denny did condone the attack during the trail of the attackers because he clearly was planning on sueing the city. I don't care if the guy has half-a-brain left, this is inexcusible.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Just to poke in a few commentaries, I am korean and from the LA area. At the time, i was in middle school. It freaked everyone out what occured during that time. Sad thing? A lot of my parents' friends lost their businesses/source of income. Neat thing? It convinced a lot of koreans to go out and buy a gun. And i mean a LOT. From what i've been told, glocks and mossberg/remington shotguns were on the top of the "to buy" list. And yea, some people did go the extra mile and buy some AR's and Ak's. This wasn't limited to the community in the immediate LA city area. People way outside the city went out and bought firearms in fear that the riots would spread.
It's kind of interesting to talk to some of my peers and ask them what their parents do with all the stuff they bought. For most, its lying around locked up in some closet or drawer gathering dust. And im assuming most of them have no clue as to what's going in Kaliban concering firearms. Oh well...
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
gunsmithdude, they may have been Korean, but that day they conducted themselves AS AMERICANS in a way most Americans have not done for a long time.

It was refreshing to see but unfortunate to consider.

If Americans had stood up to bullshit all along in the past the Koreans would never have been forced to.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I definitely agree AUG
[USA]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also wish there had been more Koreans.
View Quote

Yep.  Lots more Koreans, well-armed, on every street corner.  They were better organized than the cops.  
View Quote

That's because there were (probably) some former ROK's in their midst...lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#24]
As a side note to a lot of the Korean business that got destroyed, many were not allowed to rebuild because the L.A. City Council deemed that they had too many liquors stores and auto repair shops in that area by not issuing building permits to the owners. Many of the Koreans lost 10-20 years of their lives, because that is how long it took them to build up the businesses, when the major corporations didn't want to risk there own money, these Korean people did the American-thing and took the risk, gambled and won.

I found this letter-to-the-editor of the Pasadena, Calif. Star News. It is a fairly liberal rag, similar to NY Post/Times.

[url]http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/Stories/0,1413,53%257E542%257E577079,00.html[/url]

Pasadena Star-News NMO

Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:03:43 AM MST
We asked readers for their memories of the 1992 Los Angeles riots.
Here's what they had to say.

More letters are running on opinion page A14. I can tell you that my
life changed profoundly during those three long days.{P4} I had
moved to the San Gabriel Valley not long before, coming from rural
Washington, and was wholly unnerved not only by what was going on in
Los Angeles proper, but the spread of violence that ensued.
On the second day of the riots, I could smell the smoke from L.A.'s
fires while standing outside my Arcadia home. Symbolically, perhaps,
the riots had reached me in my "safe" neighborhood, and were no
longer confined to distant L.A.
That night, mini-riots broke out in Pasadena, Pomona and other
Valley towns. That sealed it the violence was in my back yard.
[b]How did all this change me?
I owned only one firearm, a hunting rifle. How effective would that
be against 50 looters marauding my neighborhood?
I bought more guns. Not all at once, but one by one, over the years.
I became politically active for the first time in the fight against
unreasonable gun control, and remain so today.
I came to see how foolish it is to hope that the police will protect
us, and how sensible it is to provide for one's own defense when
civil order breaks down.[/b]
Brooks A. Pangburn
Duarte
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I find it amazing that you think it appropriate to call a guy who was nothing but a victim, and who may very well have some sort of brain damage, a dumbass.  
View Quote

Maybe you need an edjamakation too - so listen up:

I think anyone that can look at the past, see that nothing has been to done in the present to alter the course of events for the future, and  would then make the erroneous assumption that things will be different, is a DUMBASS.

Ever wonder why it is called survival of the fittest?

Hmm.... LA is a powder keg today b/c of a trial verdict that will be announced later in the day. I have to go to work in some of the areas that could potentially become a war zone.

Should I:

A) Phone in sick for a couple of days, and avoid the issue.

B) Alter my schedule such that customers in that area do not recieve their goods for a few days.

C) Make preparations such that, one way or another, I will be home in time for dinner.

See the problem before it happens.

The police are not here to protect individuals. (Another gem offered up by clueless Reggie the other day).
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey you guys! Here's something I didn't know about Reginald Denny and the two blacks who helped him make a getaway from the mob -

They did it in Denny's truck, pushed him into the cab and drove the truck straight to the hospital.

Here's a portion of the story:

"Then, Green said, "Something told me to get up." He told Eric he would be right back. It took him about five minutes to drive to the intersection, where he ran up to Denny's truck and helped another rescuer, a woman named Lei Yuille, who was struggling to push Denny into the cab of his truck.

"I just pushed him over and started driving," Green said. No one in the crowd stopped the rescue. "They musta thought I was one of the bad guys too, taking the truck for a joy ride." Even Yuille had that suspicion.

"During the 10-minute drive to the hospital, Yuille cradled Denny's battered head, telling him, "You're going to make it." Two other strangers who had come to the rescue, Titus Murphy and Terri Barnett, turned their Honda's hazard lights on and shouted steering instructions to Green, who was unable to see clearly through the shattered windshield.

"The makeshift entourage dropped Denny off at the emergency room at Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital. Green, who knew the area's trucking yards, drove Denny's rig back to its Florence and Manchester home base. The three other rescuers never even got Green's name, describing him later as the "young man dressed in black."

"The intersection scene, captured in graphic detail by a TV news helicopter, had been aired on live TV and radio. Vera was driving home from work "when I hear on the radio that the guy who beat Reginald Denny was driving away in his truck."

"When she got home, Bobby was not there. Eric told her where he had gone.

"I can't tell you what I said," Vera jokes now, "but it went something like: 'What the hell does he think he's doing?' "

"By the time Bobby came back, there was no use in arguing. They settled on the couch and watched the riots on TV."

See the whole story at:[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-042202rescue.story[/url]

So the question now comes - WTF was Denny stopping his truck and getting out of the cab?

Eric The(Un-Believable!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#27]
surrounded by rioters why wasnt his freakin door locked? i never understood that. remember kiddies...the gas pedal is a weapon!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I find it amazing that you think it appropriate to call a guy who was nothing but a victim, and who may very well have some sort of brain damage, a dumbass.  
View Quote

The dumbass crawled out of his truck to begin with. That alone makes him a dumbass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#30]
BTW-
There was verry little traffic (look at the whole tape). He was trying to make a left turn where there were people (rioters) in the street blocking his "escape".
I hold a valid class "A" lisc and live in SoCal. In fact i`ll be working just a few blocks from there today.
The sidewalks are big enough, the street is huge and very wide. The idiot stopped because one black person walked in front of his belly dumper like he was in Tienamien Square.
 I wont say he deserved what he got, but I will say I woulda got out of that sitz.
I also was driving a truck that day in LA. Did I come close to that area? No. Guess why.

He was a bone head, now he`s missing pieces so that makes him less than a bonehead.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Hindsight is 20-20.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Actually, I'm pretty sure I recall seeing him [i]pulled[/i] out of the truck by someone who climbed up on the running board, opened the driver's door, and grabbed him.  
View Quote

Absolutely correct.

I saw the footage again just the other day on the news. The [b][red]victim[/red][/b] was dragged out of the truck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually, I'm pretty sure I recall seeing him [i]pulled[/i] out of the truck by someone who climbed up on the running board, opened the driver's door, and grabbed him.  
View Quote

Absolutely correct.

I saw the footage again just the other day on the news. The [b][red]victim[/red][/b] was dragged out of the truck.
View Quote

Mr. Denny violated a cardinal at least for me when driving in downtown L.A., you must LOCK all of your doors and stay alert.  Years ago, I used to work at a gas station on the corner of Pico & Union, about 5 miles west of the L.A. Convention Center downtown L.A, this part of L.A. the unsavory part of the L.A. A man was stopped in his car at a signal light waiting to make a right hand turn on to Pico, to go west; he was beatened bloody by several gang members thru the car window who just happened to be walking by the intersection without any appearent reason. It turned out this man was a doctor working a L.A. County/USC hopsital taking care of low-income people etc. I had to call the paramedics for him.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Photo of Korean during riots.

[url]www.kang.org/LARiot3.html[/url]

[url]www.kang.org/LARiot.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top