Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2002 9:00:34 AM EDT
When the shtf on 9-11, I was at work.  As soon as I got wind of the 4th plane crash, I booked ass home and loaded some weapons, packed my family in the van. My parents live about 150 miles outside of Dallas, so we headed for the country.

Just curious, did anybody else have this sort of reaction, or am I an over-paranoid type.

Many of my friends did however fill their cars with gasoline, and grabbed up bottled water, can foods etc.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I was well into loading mags when the first Tower fell.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I called my wife at work in Dallas and told her to shag ass for the homestead. On my way home, I finally picked up a set of rabbit ears so we could watch the news coverage.

When she got home I was cleaning guns and loading mags. We watched the news and finally got ahold of my mom.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Wife came home immediately, mags were already loaded.  We're not in a major city perse so I wasn't concerned about my location but Atlanta isn't far from us so I was expecting attacks there.  Only thing I was worried about was the worthless sorts looting and pillaging.  We have some land far out in the country so that was the go to place if closer events happened.  However, I fully intend to defend my home with whatever means necessary.  Wife didn't think I was that nuts as she was pretty scared.
BIll3508
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I stood there like an idiot with my mouth hanging open.. HOLY SHIT!

Ben

Good God that was a terrible day.

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yesseree. The Goblin did the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I got paid normal hourly wages to set and watch a TV all day with just about everyone else I work with. I bet production numbers sucked that week.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I was expecting further attacks as well. (NOT TO SPEAK TO SOON). But after a few days I settled back down.

*NOCKING ON WOOD VIGOROUSLY*

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#9]
The planes hitting the twin towers was a shock, but when we got word there was a fire at the Pentagon and then when the towers came down, I was beside myself.

I just could not fargin' believe what was happening.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I immediately logged on to AR15.com
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, since I'm on the West coast, I was just getting out of bed when I heard what happened. I was all like "Holy crap!" and I put on my LBV (already setup with 15 fully loaded mags) and my Alice pack (loaded with combat goodies and MREs) and put on my BDUs and combat boots.  Oh ya and my boonie hat.  I took my AR15 w/scope and ingessed into Seattle.  There I took up a position atop a 10 story building and monitored the situation below.  I saw many individuals of Arab descent, and dispatched them by gunshot to the head, sometimes at distances up to 1000 yards.  By the end of the day the street was mostly blocked off by all the bodies laying around.  I then took my egress route back home, in time for some yummy home cooking by the wife.  And guess what? There were NO terrorist attacks in Seattle, THANK YOU S. NORMAN!!!!  Yes, you can all thank me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I was getting ready to go back to the hospital after snagging a few hours sleep between the birth of my son in the wee hours and the family showing up for visiting hours.  

My sister in law called to congratulate us and to get some comfort over what was happening in NYC and DC.  I had yet to hear of it.

I turned on the TV and pretty much went into shock and rage.

My further actions were somewhat limited by the fact that my wife and son were stuck in the hospital for a minimum of 24 more hours (likely 48 since my wife lost a couple pints of blood beyond what is normally expected in delivery.) I grabbed my P220 and a couple extra mags, the cell phone for commo, and some spare clothes and beat feet to the hospital to be with them.

I did a lot of praying that they hadn't followed up with a stealthy bio attack that would burn through the hospitals like a wildfire.

That was a really crummy day. I was stuck between elation that my son was born and fear and anger over the attacks.  I later learned that a girl I had known growing up had been on board flight 11 out of Boston.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#13]
PAY BACKS ARE A BITCH.

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I went through hell to get home that day....No, I didn't do anything special, just knowing that I had stuff prepared was enough to keep me at ease. The hard part was that I did go back to work the next day....

Edited to say that I was close enough to hear the Pentagon explosion.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought my first AR-15 that afternoon.  Since then:  a second AR-15, 3000 rounds of Lake City and 25 magazines (USGI 30's and 20's).  Been thinking about a Varminter now to round out the collection.  I feel much better, although this new "hobbie" is killing the bank account.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Serious question (other threads notwithstanding):

How many mags do you think is plenty? 15? 20? 30? More?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Went to the store and bought another gun to add to my collection.  Then, I augmented my basic home defense (870 Remington with ext. mag and 6 shot side-saddle/folding stock) by loading up 300 rounds of 7.62 and hanging up an AK-47 in the closet beside the 870  :(

Kinda interesting that I had just flown home out of Dulles the day before.  I had to go back to work but my family was on the subway headed for the White house when the SHTF!
I was watching it all go down that morning 'cause I decided to take one more day off from work,  man was I freaked because I did not here from my family till about 1pm.

Freaky that four seperate times I have stayed home from work for one reason or another and an airliner or space shuttle has crashed/blown up...
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I was on AR15.com at the time, after the post, I tought it was a joke, talk about being in denial.

After that I stopped being nice to religous fundamentalist guys who are here on student visas.  

Now I watch out for anything suspicious.

Call the cops at the drop of a hat, generally paranoid about the drinking water or anything else we buy from the supermarket.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#19]
After class I went home and filled all my vehicles up with fuel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#20]
So everybody liked my story then!
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I thanked God I'm a Southerner, and prayed for the victims. I was stuck at work all day. When I got home I was glued to the TV for the next 16 hours. I hoped this tragedy would change our foreign policy of sticking our nose in other's business, but I was wrong.......
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I finished my sales calls in the DC area, and went home.

Did a mental check of what I needed, decided I was fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#23]
The office closed, so I went home and sat my butt down in front of the tv for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ben

View Quote

If I had only though to send Ben an e-mail.  I was doing about the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I was on this tough engineering job so I stayed at work.

Since shortly before Y2K I have kept a few goodies in the truck:
A post ban with 4 loaded 30 round mags
A 6” 44mag with 200 rounds.
knife sharpener
1000.00 cash.
5 gallons of water
half a dozen MREs
small medical kit
heavy coat.
Change of clothes
Pillow and blanket.
Tool kit for the truck.
100% spare fluids and filters.
I never let the gas fall below half a tank.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Serious question (other threads notwithstanding):

How many mags do you think is plenty? 15? 20? 30? More?
View Quote

You can never have too many mags.

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

knife sharpener
1000.00 cash.
5 gallons of water
half a dozen MREs
small medical kit
heavy coat.
Change of clothes
Pillow and blanket.
Tool kit for the truck.
View Quote

Now this is what I'm talking about!
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

knife sharpener
1000.00 cash.
5 gallons of water
half a dozen MREs
small medical kit
heavy coat.
Change of clothes
Pillow and blanket.
Tool kit for the truck.
View Quote

Boy would it suck if that truck got stolen.

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I was already at work and on a conference call to the UK.

My wife is in sales and was at a town about 40 miles from our home.

I got her on the cell had her stop at the bank and withdraw some cash then head straight home.

I stayed at work until all my team was on the way home then followed suit.

Once home, we upped the "On deck" fire power breaking out the HK91 and AR15 carbine for my wife.  I was seriously considering a Home Depot run for a generator.

We are only a short distance from DC and after the Pentagon attack had no idea what was comming next.  I don' think you over reacted at all.

It's odd to me that I sat in an office overlooking the Pentagon watching planes overfly it going in and out of National for 5 years thinking every day, "one day a plane's gonna' hit that building".  I never thought it would be on purpose though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

knife sharpener
1000.00 cash.
5 gallons of water
half a dozen MREs
small medical kit
heavy coat.
Change of clothes
Pillow and blanket.
Tool kit for the truck.
View Quote

Where do you sit?????  [:D]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Another West Coaster...

Got a phone call about an accidental air plane crashing into the 1st tower, just as I was getting up for work.

Turned on all the TVs in the house (several minutes before the 2nd plane on the Twin Towers) so that I could hear/see what was going on as I went from room to room to get ready for work.

Went to work a bit late. Our offices are on the 6th floor, with two taller bldgs flanking two of our sides sides. Several small and a large airport nearby. Surfed the net all day, looking for any type of news. I figured someone would bring a TV to the office so that we can watch the news, they did. I admit we looked out of our office windows that day, but we figured our chance of getting hit by lightening was greater. Worked a full day (not very productive), office was not closed, per CEO.

Dean Stanley employees (they have a lot of folks @ WTC) are on the floor above us, they were sent home before lunch time.

I didn't load/gear up or brought anything extra, just my standard carry. I carry a pistol close to me all the time (legally), and at the time I was carrying a G22 with me and a few mags. A fully gassed up Full size 4X4 and alternate routes (off-road if need be) home if the roads were bad. I only work 12 miles from home and only 1/2 the miles through the city.

I was better armed during the LA Riots 10 years ago. The company I worked for then was very gun friendly, we had a few ARs, shotguns, pistols @ the corporate office during and several weeks after the riots. [;)] The President, VPs, and basically all the upper management were avid shooters/ hunters. We even had a trophy game room at the office. The President of the company wasn't allowed any of his game trophies at any of his 6 homes (his wife insisted), so he kept them in a large 'Boys' room in the Executive suite. [:)]

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I loaded mags and cleaned weapons and watched TV.  I called a buddy who works nights and who I knew was sleeping through the whole thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#34]
My broke-dicked-ass was at the troop medical center at Fort Hood, Tx. when the first two planes hit. I then went home and took my percocet, flexeril, valium, and a shot of triadal. (spelled it wrong I am sure) Four days later when I woke up I was still on orders for recruiting duty. Was very disapointed, I wanted to go and do a little pay back, as I am sure most of you wanted to.

And yes morphine is a much better drug then the above. I got to use $6000.00 worth in march.

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Me and Garryowen hung out at CavArms carressing our rifles.  It was fun thinking I was a high speed operator.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#36]
By 0830 CST the load-out was sitting by the 4WD Suburban and wife-unit was standing by to recover kids from school.  Spent the next 18 hours monitoring events, loading ammo and generally enjoying my first day as a Moderator.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I was at work (downtown Baltimore) and our company cleared everybody out of the downtown office. I have another remote office, so I ducked by the house, grabbed a pre-ban shortie and a dozen loaded mags, loaded the mags and my Glock into my LBV, stuffed it all behind the seat of my truck, and went back to work. Spent the rest of the day watching it on TV and hoping nothing would happen that required me to go back into the city. Surfed AR15.com a little. I have never had rage like I had that day, and I still have it.
Spent that night and part of the next day going out of my mind because I found out my cousin was in one of the towers and hadn't been heard from. She turned up at a hospital having been hit on the head by debris, not knowing who or where she was or what had happened. She snapped out of it in a few hours. Still has a nice scar from the top of her forehead up into her scalp.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I went to work that morning for a training class.  It was very hard to concentrate on passing the written test, but to the credit of the instructors, we all did.  Afterward, some friends and I went to a bar and watched the news.  I remember the feeling of hatred toward those terrorists. On the way home, hundreds of sheeple, lined up in front of gas stations, blocking the road.   As if a full tank of gas would make everything all right. The veneer of our civilisation hangs by very weak glue indeed.  I was comforted that I had enough supplies to keep the Islamic hordes out of St. Charles for a while.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I work for the local utility co. in NYC. I was on the scene right after the first plane hit, we all thought it was an accident; Then the second plane hit, Some of my coworkers freaked out, An FBI guy said to get out of the area that they (The FBI) got word a third plane might be comming in & both towers might come down. I attempted to evacuated all my guys to a safe distance, When we got about 2 city blocks away the first tower collapsed, I was in my company vehicle, The vehicle shook & everything got black. When the dust cleared enough that we could see we drove to our meeting point & the second tower fell. We all got our shit back in order,Helped out in any way we could & started the process of getting the lights Back on.
PS: I was at work for 50 hours straight.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Waited for the balloon to go up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#42]
 I remember calling Mrs Ops at work and telling her to turn on the radio and get near it, just after the second impact.  At impact #3 i called her and told her to pick up Lil' Ops and hightail it home.  I kept the CAR nearby for moral support.  I dont think a small village in the middle of nowhere was a target, but the barracks at Carlisle and the road junctions out near Middlesex certainly was.
 Then came the 'Homeland Security' buzzword, and the report by Gary Hart's committee (yes the Donna Rice, Monkey Business Gary Hart) and the 'need' for a Homeland Security Agency.....  It may be instructive to note that his report was completed in September 1999.
 My prayers went up for Waverunner, FrankSquid, and the NYC crew for thier safety.  Hats off to the EMS/Fire/NYPD for their bravery and dedication.
 I remember thinking that this was ;the 21st century Pearl Harbor, and world war would not be too far behind.  I still have that sinking feeling in my gut that we have been had.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I remember thinking that this was ;the 21st century Pearl Harbor, and world war would not be too far behind.  
View Quote

amen, bro. i had and still have the same feeling.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Called my mom and cried for like two hours. I couldn't belive it. Thinking about that day  still blows me away.. So many good people lost their lives..

I'm hurting while I think about it right now.. ::sniff:: ::Tears::

-T.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Edited to say that I was close enough to hear the Pentagon explosion.
View Quote

You and me both brother (rt50 and Glebe Rd)
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#46]
In Portland I belong to a SHTF crew that started in fall 1999.  Started out as laughable conversation over beers then formed into something concrete, with continued laughter.  We set up contingency plans, meeting points, food caches, arms, ammo, water, gas, etc etc etc.  Never thought it'd actually work out.

3 hours after the 4rth plane went down, I was on I-95 just outside of Greenville with my share of communal supplies and enough to be self-sufficient with my ol lady, when I heard my other 4 buds chime in on the CB.  They were already there.  It made me smile.  We ended up at our camp on Lower Wilson Pond up in Greenville (edge of Maine's north woods) and listened to the radio all night with jerky and beer.  Hearing about the immense loss of life made the silence a real heavy blanket.

Sitting around the campfire with the radio made that night very quiet and eerie and sad.  Across the pond there were a few other fires going, which made it somewhat more comforting.

We all might have over-reacted, but it was nice to see a plan like that work, should something ever really justify it.  Had to call work the next day and explain my absence.

Regardless, my prayers still go out to the families of those that died.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
3 hours after the 4rth plane went down, I was on I-95 just outside of Greenville with my share of communal supplies and enough to be self-sufficient with my ol lady, when I heard my other 4 buds chime in on the CB.  They were already there.  It made me smile.  We ended up at our camp on Lower Wilson Pond up in Greenville (edge of Maine's north woods) and listened to the radio all night with jerky and beer.  Hearing about the immense loss of life made the silence a real heavy blanket.
We all might have over-reacted, but it was nice to see a plan like that work, should something ever really justify it.
View Quote

Wow it is nice know that your bug-out plan actually works. It is recommended by knowledgeable survivalist to test out your escape plan in advance, but I guess very few of us actually have an escape plan, and probably even fewer actually go on a weekend camp to iron out the bugs.

I always thought if I were in a high-rise, that an airplane would accidently crash into it and how would I escape, never in my wildest dreams would anyone actually commandeer a jetliner and use it as a flying bombing.
For me I brought in an extra 2 cases 556 & 9mm ammo from my garage. Gassed up the family buggy, went to the bank for money, double checked the emergency supplies, food, water, & suvival gear etc. and waited in front of the TV to see what happens next.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I panicked like a lot of other people.  Fear tends to beat the shit out of rational thought.  This area of Virginia has a sizeable number of Muslim people.  I was fearing that there would be race riots, looting, possible Muslim uprisings, you name it.  I went to Wal-Mart and bought every single box of .308, .223, .45, and 9mm they had.  I went into my loading magazine phase (that took a long time), my mother and I set about bringing some of the fresh hay bales out of the barn and up to the house in case we needed bullet stoppers.  I called my uncle who works at Henderson Hall to make sure he was ok.  

We basically went into Condition 4, weapons all loaded, at shooting positions with copious quantities of ammo, black powder out for possible grenade making, hay bales just outside if needed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I know this will be viewed as a flame, but what did you guys expect would happen?

Sure it was a terrible attack, but what do you think could've possibly happened that would cause you to need your thousands of rounds of ammo and the like?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I know this will be viewed as a flame, but what did you guys expect would happen?

Sure it was a terrible attack, but what do you think could've possibly happened that would cause you to need your thousands of rounds of ammo and the like?
View Quote

My concern was that the attacks would spread, Baltimore being a "possible" target. I was worried I would get caught downtown in the midst of LA style looting and rioting. I bet I'd have made it out of town!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top