Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2010 7:31:59 PM EDT
I was wondering what your thoughts are on the BEST electronic shooting muff. I have decided that I need to get a pair of these and I want to get the best that I can. These will be used for hunting as well as just general shooting and I would prefer a camo color although that isn't a requirement.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my peltors, I just put on a new set of mike covers and a hygene kit after 7 years.  Tac 7's.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Sordin supreme X

No problem with Barrett 50 BMG outside and 45 acp indoor range.

I bought the extra gel package but haven't installed it yet. I bought them because of great reviews of others, including some folks that returned their Peltors.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Pro Ears. Pro ears
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 3:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!

I have been looking at the walkers game ear hearing aid style protection, what do you guys think of those?

Since this will primarily be used in hunting, I was thinking about going with the low profile game ear and then using my regular muffs + ear plugs for range use (I don't do tactical shooting as of now).

Here's the game ear product I am talking about:

http://www.walkersgameear.com/enhancement_hdSeries.html

If I get something like the game ear then eventually I will end up getting the electronic muffs. I usually wear a thick hat when I hunt because it gets cold up here in Michigan lol. After looking at the electronic muffs, I doubt that even the low profile style will work with the hats I use. The game ear looks like it will work well.

The only thing I'm concerned about with the electronic muffs (or any muff for that matter) is that as a stand alone product, it only offers 19-29ish dB protection. From what I understand about dB ratings, this brings the average gunshot within around 120-130 dB, which is still dangerously loud. I have noticed that when I double up with plugs and muffs that the sound level is dramatically reduced over just using muffs.

Since I am only going to use the plugs + muffs combo on the range, I am looking for an electronic muff that can amplify the regular sounds enough that I can hear them over my plugs. From what I have heard some muffs can do this but others can't. Do you guys know any muffs that can amply sound enough to hear over ear plugs?
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks guys!

I have been looking at the walkers game ear hearing aid style protection, what do you guys think of those?

Since this will primarily be used in hunting, I was thinking about going with the low profile game ear and then using my regular muffs + ear plugs for range use (I don't do tactical shooting as of now).

Here's the game ear product I am talking about:

http://www.walkersgameear.com/enhancement_hdSeries.html

If I get something like the game ear then eventually I will end up getting the electronic muffs. I usually wear a thick hat when I hunt because it gets cold up here in Michigan lol. After looking at the electronic muffs, I doubt that even the low profile style will work with the hats I use. The game ear looks like it will work well.

The only thing I'm concerned about with the electronic muffs (or any muff for that matter) is that as a stand alone product, it only offers 19-29ish dB protection. From what I understand about dB ratings, this brings the average gunshot within around 120-130 dB, which is still dangerously loud. I have noticed that when I double up with plugs and muffs that the sound level is dramatically reduced over just using muffs.

Since I am only going to use the plugs + muffs combo on the range, I am looking for an electronic muff that can amplify the regular sounds enough that I can hear them over my plugs. From what I have heard some muffs can do this but others can't. Do you guys know any muffs that can amply sound enough to hear over ear plugs?

You can double up and up the amplification. It will still cut out the loud bang. See my previous post, 50 BMG without doubling up. There is something screwy about the db ratings because there was no issue for me. It was great to be able to talk normally while shooting. I could increase the amplification enough to hear my fingers scraping together!
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have some pro ears that are pretty good, but they are huge. I wouldn't mind a slim pair next time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Out of curiosity, why do you want electric muffs? I'm curious, because I use plugs exclusively (so that I never have a problem with cheek weld), and may switch over if there's good enough reason.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a pair of Caldwell E-MAX low-pro electronics and love them.  Hard to beat for the price.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my Peltors.  And the battery life is suprisingly long.

John
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want the best tactical electronic ear pro, the $250-$350 MSA Sordin and Peltor tactical stuff is the way to go.

I've used cheaper ear pro from Caldwell, Peltor, Howard Leight, they are don't hold up to use and abuse over time if you go shooting often.  I am still using my $90 Tac Sports, but i just always always wear ear plugs to go with them
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Out of curiosity, why do you want electric muffs? I'm curious, because I use plugs exclusively (so that I never have a problem with cheek weld), and may switch over if there's good enough reason.

Well, part of it is to be able to talk to people at the range without yelling. The other part is if I decided to go with just muffs and no game-ear type protection, it could work for hunting. Also, I could have it hanging on my AR that's setup for home defense and if I need the AR in an emergency all I would have to do is turn the muffs on and put them on my ears and still be able to hear things (if suppressors were legal in MI I would use one of those for this purpose instead).

I really like the game-ear type protection but I like how the electronic muffs are easier/faster to put on and you don't have earwax to clean off every time you take them out. I doubt that the muffs would work well when hunting in cold conditions (deer blind) but if they do then I would only be interested in a low-profile muff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top