Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2002 11:19:40 PM EDT
I went to check my email last night and I noticed that all my emails in my inbox for the past month and a half have disappeared.  There are ones from March 6 going back several months (yes, lazy about house cleaning) but the recent ones are just gone.  All my other mail folders are fine.  I have not done anything new and haven't a clue what could of happened.  At first I thought about the Klez worm but I use Netscape for mail, don't have outlook even set up, and I ran the symantec klez download and it said it couldn't find it.  I then searched the recycle bin but couldn't find the mail there.

Anyone have a clue.  Nothing really necessary there, don't care if they are gone for good, just don't wan't them used by anyone else or for it to happen again.

I have an att cable connection, though the ip address is not static on it I think, I run Norton Antivirus and firewall, and I haven't a clue what could have happened to my mail.

Any ideas?!
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe Netscape uses a IMAPI mail server which means the e-mails basically reside on the server. The server may have crashed and a restore from a back-up may have been required.

Restoring from back-up usually retains the older stuff but you tend to lose the newer stuff.

This could be a possible explanation, but not the only one. Call the people in charge of the e-mail server and ask if they have had any problems.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:02:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Netscape may be set up for either POP or IMAP mail servers.   It may also (depending on the version) be set up to leave copies of the mail on the server, and optionally delete the mail from the server when the mail is deleted in Netscape on your computer.   This can be set up for either POP or IMAP servers.
Check to see how your copy of Netscape is set up and what kind of server your email uses.   This could help you track down the missing email.   If your server is a POP server and you have Netscape set to delete the mail from the server when downloaded, you need to look in you computer for the email - any other setup COULD allow you to retrieve the missing messages from your server.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Netscape Communicator sometimes gets wild hairs and creates new mail folders without your asking it.  They'll show up on your folders list with weird file names.  If you have any, check 'em for messages and transfer the messages to your standard Ratters' folders.  Delete the weird files when you're done.

Try Eudora; pretty sure you will not go back to Communicator.

hth
-hanko  (out of PRK, into ID)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top