Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2002 3:14:10 PM EDT
Neoconservatism and ignorance is rampant in the NRA. They pledge now to fight campaign finance reform, yet they fail to mention who it was that passed it....GW BUSH. On top of this, Heston narrated a videotape dedicated to Ronald Reagan during the convention. The same Ronald Reagan responsible for passing the 1986 machinegun act that banned the sale of new machineguns made after May 1986 to civilians. Then of course, they lay the same B.S. about how the NRA members defeated Gore for freedom. I wonder what they'll do and say when GW Bush makes the Brady Bill permanent some time in 2004. [thinking]

Folks, this is why I let my NRA membership expire this past March. I'm joining JPFO and GOA.

themao [chainsawkill]

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/04/28/nra.convention.ap/index.html[/url]

NRA: Gun foes practice 'political terrorism'
April 28, 2002 Posted: 7:30 AM EDT (1130 GMT)

RENO, Nevada (AP) -- National Rifle Association leaders took credit for President Bush's election Saturday, saying they're taking aim next at unseating gun control advocates in Congress and defeating campaign finance reform in court.

"You are why Al Gore isn't in the White House," NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre told more than 4,500 delegates at the NRA's 131st annual meeting.

"No other group could have done what we did collectively in 2000, and now it's time to finish the job," NRA lobbyist James Jay Baker said. "The Senate is the hole in our armor. ... The Senate is our battleground."

Georgia Sen. Zell Miller, the first Democrat to give the NRA's keynote address in more than a decade, agreed that Gore's stands on gun rights cost him key states, including Arkansas, West Virginia and Tennessee.

"I recall the surprise of national Democratic leaders at losing those states in the presidential election," Miller, a longtime NRA member, said in a speech to more than 2,000 members at Saturday night's banquet.

"All their expert pollsters said voters favored some kind of gun control. ... Well, I stand with heartfelt conviction over a political wind gauge any day.

"Like many of you, I've got more guns than I need, but not as many as I want... There is nowhere I'd rather be tonight than right here with you, on the picket line of freedom's defense," he said to loud applause.

NRA President Charlton Heston narrated an eight-minute videotape on Ronald Reagan -- who in 1983 became the first sitting president to address an NRA convention -- before he told the cheering crowd he would grant their wish to stay on for an unprecedented fifth term.

"After all we did in the 2000 elections, I think we deserve a personal visit from President Bush next year, don't you?" Heston said. The 78-year-old actor then held up an 1874 rifle and reprised a signature line: "From my cold dead hands."
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The crown booed the mention of Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, lead sponsor of the campaign finance reforms that the NRA is challenging.

LaPierre said the group "must grow larger and tougher" to fend off attempts to implement waiting periods on gun purchases at gun shows, protect gun manufacturers from lawsuits and defend First Amendment freedom of speech in the form of campaign advertising.

LaPierre said those who would restrict gun rights are engaged in "political terrorism."

"It's a far greater threat to freedom than any foreign force," he said.

Leaders also took aim at anti-gun groups they say operate under the banner of "gun safety."

"We invented gun safety," said Craig Sandler, NRA director of general operations. "What does the Violence Policy Center know or do about gun safety? ... What does the Million Mom March know or do about gun safety?"

Rocker Ted Nugent was helping with recruitment at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center, where as many as 35,000 people were expected to visit by the time the convention concludes Monday.

"If you are not a member of the NRA, you really aren't performing your 'we-the-people duty' in this nation," said Nugent, a hunting enthusiast and NRA board member.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
"If you are not a member of the NRA, you really aren't performing your 'we-the-people duty' in this nation," said Nugent, a hunting enthusiast and NRA board member.
View Quote

Rock on!

Eddie
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"If you are not a member of the NRA, you really aren't performing your 'we-the-people duty' in this nation," said Nugent, a hunting  and NRA board member.
View Quote

Rock on!

Eddie
View Quote

Rock head!

Tell Mr. Nugent(who I think is a good guy)that the Founders did not have hunting enthusiasts in mind.
You will have to forgive me if I save my money this year,slogans are fun and all but thats all the NRA has.

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Oh good grief. "We the people", what the hell is this, the Soviet Union? Such crap. No one has ever done shit for me or my family. The only thing "the people" do for me is take my private property (taxes) and demand that I obey the state. Of course, if I don't like it, I have to move some place else, because obviously, the private property I own doesn't belong to me....it belongs to THE PEOPLE!

As much as I like Ted Nugent, I think he to wants a little "state" in his life so he can be taxed.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Folks, this is why I let my NRA membership expire this past March. I'm joining JPFO and GOA.
View Quote

Ya know, we really ought to start a relief fund on this site for all the folks who can't seem to afford simultaneous memberships in more than one or two gun organizations...
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I myself reupped my membership for 3 years this last time. All I can say is that I go with the best group that gets the most done.
View Quote

Yep. Ditto.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Neoconservatism and ignorance is rampant in the NRA. They pledge now to fight campaign finance reform, yet they fail to mention who it was that passed it....GW BUSH.
View Quote

He didn't pass it, your state legislators did.  Bush can't make law, he only signs what your representatives give him.

On top of this, Heston narrated a videotape dedicated to Ronald Reagan during the convention. The same Ronald Reagan responsible for passing the 1986 machinegun act that banned the sale of new machineguns made after May 1986 to civilians. Then of course, they lay the same B.S. about how the NRA members defeated Gore for freedom. I wonder what they'll do and say when GW Bush makes the Brady Bill permanent some time in 2004.
View Quote

Again, your representatives have to pass it and put it on his desk to sign.  We already know he will sign it if it gets to him.  

So the question is what are you doing to make sure that doesn't happen?

View Quote

Oh that's a real good solution.  What you are doing is reducing the membership numbers of the largest most effective gun rights organization and stripping them of the funds they use to elect pro-gun legislators.

So tell me, after the NRA fails  to get a phone bank setup in your area before the election due to lack of funds and an anti-gun legislator in your district is elected, passes the gun ban and puts it on Bush's desk.  Who really is the one that failed?  I think you know the answer.

BTW, name one law that GOA has ever passed own their own.  Also, please show me one email alert that GOA sent to their Michigam members anytime between 1998 and 2000 about the shall issue CCW law that was being discussed and finally passed.  The answer to both is none.  An organization that can't even send out one email alert in two years, is not a very effective organization.  All GOA does is takes your money so they can fly Larry Pratt around the country to speak.  Besides bashing the NRA and complaining about the shall issue CCW law that we finally got in Michigan, GOA has done nothing.

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Rock head!

Tell Mr. Nugent(who I think is a good guy)that the Founders did not have hunting enthusiasts in mind.
You will have to forgive me if I save my money this year,slogans are fun and all but thats all the NRA has.
View Quote

Must have hit a nerve.  I really don't care what Ted's interests are as long as he is pro-second amendment.  Beats the heck out of shotgunners who see no need for semi-auto rifles or any type of handgun.  Lots of those around, too.  Most of them don't belong to the NRA, either.  All about choices.

Eddie

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 2:51:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:18:25 AM EDT
[#11]
FYI : [url]www.nralive.com/index2.cfm[/url]

NRA member.

^[size=1]
[url]www.cures-not-wars.org/[/url] Truth Will Liberate Earth.
[url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]Allege 1993 feinstein/hci master plan
for TOTAL Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.
[url]http://www.DigitalAngel.net/[/url]Revelation 13:18  ID-GPS-MONEY Implant Micro-chip

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth , Liberate Your Mind
We Are At WAR
[/size=1]
FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
NRA- better than nothing....
View Quote

True, but something even better...

GOA [url]http://www.gunowners.org/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top