Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2010 12:34:16 PM EDT
I just witnessed an awesome sight.  I was in line for security to head home to MI for the holidays, and I see a large group of people all waiting around where people exit the terminal area.  They are all holding signs and cameras and whatnot.  Anyways, all of the sudden people start clappin, crying, cheering, ect.  A plane full of Army men and women were headin towards us.  The look on the friends and family of these men and women was amazing.  Sheer joy and excitement.  All of us in line for security just stopped and applauded and cheered.  It was one of the most heart warming experiences I have ever witnessed.  Wives and girlfriends running up to their men crying and embracing them and kissing them, moms and dads with the most proud look on their faces, brothers and sisters hugging them like they never wanted to let go.  It was an awesome sight and it made me really happy to see these guys getting to be with their families for Christmas.  Its hard to explain what it feels like to witness this, but one thing is for sure...it makes you DAMN proud to be an American

So to all the guys and gals on here who serve in the military, stay safe, and I hope you guys get to be home for Christmas.

I know, i know, cool story bro...
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
What a great sight to see, that IS a cool story bro!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got goose bumps thinking about the greeters in Maine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Most excellent!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Sights like that make me proud to be an American.  At the last Buffalo Sabres game I went to, they showed a guy on the jumbotron and announced he had just returned from A-stan.  The crowd gave a standing ovation for him and I noticed some players banging their sticks on the boards too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sights like that make me proud to be an American.  At the last Buffalo Sabres game I went to, they showed a guy on the jumbotron and announced he had just returned from A-stan.  The crowd gave a standing ovation for him and I noticed some players banging their sticks on the boards too.

exactly.  You usually see sights like this in movies, and I wasnt sure if it actually happened, but it did, and it was an amazing sight.  Its weird bc most people who dont have a close loved one in the military dont see the whole picture of how it is.  I always thought of how hard it must be on the troops, but I never really thought about the moms and dads, and wifes and gf's, and brothers and sisters.  This put it all into perspective for me.  The familys are missing them just as much as they are missing their family's.  We often forget this, and seeing something like this really just warms your heart.  What a great way to start a two week vacation from work
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

haha. thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I live 10 miles from there, had I known I would have come to welcome them home.

yeah, I had no idea. I wish there was a way to find this info out, but its probably for the better that there isnt bc there would probably be a bunch of asshole protestors who would show up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]
very cool and heartwarming.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I was activated and our group  was sent to man a contingency hospital in England for Desert Storm.  Our group was  made up from small detachments across the southern US  from Fla, to Ca,  mine being in Louisiana.

When we returned to the states we had to land at NY for refueling, about 5am that morning.   I do not remeber which airline had the charter, but when we landed and deplaned, personall were waiting for us in their terminal which was closed  except for us.   They had set up a tremendous breakfast line for us and were very friendly and appreciative of  our service, which in our case was waiting for what did not happen.

It still made us all feel very good and proud to have been a small part of the  campaign.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was activated and our group  was sent to man a contingency hospital in England for Desert Storm.  Our group was  made up from small detachments across the southern US  from Fla, to Ca,  mine being in Louisiana.

When we returned to the states we had to land at NY for refueling, about 5am that morning.   I do not remeber which airline had the charter, but when we landed and deplaned, personall were waiting for us in their terminal which was closed  except for us.   They had set up a tremendous breakfast line for us and were very friendly and appreciative of  our service, which in our case was waiting for what did not happen.

It still made us all feel very good and proud to have been a small part of the  campaign.

what part of NY? Upstate?  You will find that upstate NY is nothing like NYC.  Its actually quite nice, and surprisingly conservative
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My church gave a 5 minute standing ovation to a returning service member. It happens even in California ( I live in a somewhat conservative part of California ).
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Excellent! These are the stories that make me feel better about my country, when all else seems to seem sucky.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#18]
The Bud commercial

Please embed for those who have never seen it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hear hear I live 5 miles from there and would have done the same.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#21]

-K
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hello neighbor, don't recognize you

where do you guys all live.  I'm in latham
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, I'm about 30 minutes away from the airport. I've seen it happen before there but in much smaller numbers.

Warms my heart to hear this.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you are interested in doing stuff like that contact the local USO.  I used to help out at Reagan Int. on the weekends when I was stationed down in Quantico and it was a hell of a feeling helping out our guys when they just needed a place to sit for a while or someone to BS with.  I was stuck in the lap of luxury serving the president so it helped me feel less of a non deploying douche bag
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

2 HUGE thumbs up to the folks at Bangor International Airport.  And when Bangor was socked in and we got diverted to Logan, we got the same great welcome!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm stones throw from Crossgate so I figure 5 miles is about right
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are interested in doing stuff like that contact the local USO.  I used to help out at Reagan Int. on the weekends when I was stationed down in Quantico and it was a hell of a feeling helping out our guys when they just needed a place to sit for a while or someone to BS with.  I was stuck in the lap of luxury serving the president so it helped me feel less of a non deploying douche bag

Good to know never even thought of it to be honest.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

where do you guys all live.  I'm in latham

If you feel so inclined to grab a beer hit me up.  I'm down pretty much across the street from crossgates mall.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#31]
MUST SEE:  The Way We Get By - http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2934506009/
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#32]
One of my coworkers showed me a video she took last night of her brother and several other troops being greeted at the airport here in Albuquerque.  Very cool to watch.  Her brother just finished a tour in Afghanistan and came back in one piece.  He saw quite a bit of action.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what part of NY? Upstate?  You will find that upstate NY is nothing like NYC.  Its actually quite nice, and surprisingly conservative

jfk
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This. And cool story bro. Cool as hell. Outstanding actually!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And THIS THANK GOD!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Bud commercial

Please embed for those who have never seen it.

I hate you. That was so moving that I actually got a little teary eyed. I'm so glad that our soldiers are being treated like heroes and not trash like they were during the Vietnam war.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#37]
There are still some good people left in the Albany Area. Not counting the politicians.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Cool story thanks for sharing.  I have friends serving now in Afghanistan who will still be deployed durring Christmas.  God Bless them and watch over them and their familys.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#39]
The same actually happened to me at ALB. I came home to my wife and 2 month old baby on the late night flight, i was only returning home from training but the people all clapped and cheered when she handed him to me.

By far the single nicest thing a random group of strangers has ever done for me. Definitly made me proud!!!

Little Falls,NY here BTW
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
very cool and heartwarming.  

enough to make an old fool a little weepy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The same actually happened to me at ALB. I came home to my wife and 2 month old baby on the late night flight, i was only returning home from training but the people all clapped and cheered when she handed him to me.

By far the single nicest thing a random group of strangers has ever done for me. Definitly made me proud!!!

Little Falls,NY here BTW

One thing I can say about the ALB area since I have moved out here from MI is that there are definitely alot of good, down to earth folks out here
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Hone in time for Christmas!  Good times.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#43]
One of thoose guys may have been my brother.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I grew up in near Saratoga, my parents still live there.  When my mother retired, she helped establish the Military Courtesy Room that's on the third floor of the Albany airport.  She's heavily involved in the local Blue Star Mothers group, arranging receptions like you saw.  She also helps arrange homecomings for Wounded Warriors like this Marine.  There's a lot of good people in the area.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOl, i too live about 5 miles from there, we could of carpool'd
Rotterdam area here

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Guys, how can I find out where and when the flights are landing so I can help welcome the returning troops home? I'm within about 3 hours of PHL.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I just witnessed an awesome sight.  I was in line for security to head home to MI for the holidays, and I see a large group of people all waiting around where people exit the terminal area.  They are all holding signs and cameras and whatnot.  Anyways, all of the sudden people start clappin, crying, cheering, ect.  A plane full of Army men and women were headin towards us.  The look on the friends and family of these men and women was amazing.  Sheer joy and excitement.  All of us in line for security just stopped and applauded and cheered.  It was one of the most heart warming experiences I have ever witnessed.  Wives and girlfriends running up to their men crying and embracing them and kissing them, moms and dads with the most proud look on their faces, brothers and sisters hugging them like they never wanted to let go.  It was an awesome sight and it made me really happy to see these guys getting to be with their families for Christmas.  Its hard to explain what it feels like to witness this, but one thing is for sure...it makes you DAMN proud to be an American

So to all the guys and gals on here who serve in the military, stay safe, and I hope you guys get to be home for Christmas.

You're damn right it is! When I flew into DFW to come home on R&R, it was absolutely amazing the welcome we received. Those guys and gals sure put a smile on all of our faces! I really do tip my hat to those volunteers!

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Guys, how can I find out where and when the flights are landing so I can help welcome the returning troops home? I'm within about 3 hours of PHL.

Blue star moms or USO local
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I can lop off half my finger and not even think about shedding a tear but that stuff makes me fight to hold the waterworks back...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top