Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2002 11:48:19 AM EDT
Based upon your countless viewings of Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Missing In Action, etc. Answer the following questions as they applied to troops during the Vietnam War...

In basic training (Boot Camp) the most efficient way to train men is:

A. By the book thereby imparting a given standard known to all.

B. Emotinally driven, profanity laced tirades and personal insults.

C. By teaching each soldier a obscured special skill that will be magically applicable in his most dire time of need.

In combat the best attire is:

A. The BDU that most correctly matches the given terrain.

B. Black pajams for the constant "special ops" ordinary soldiers performed on a regular basis.

C. Any BDU pant and shirtless to intimidate the enemy with your physique.

The Standard Military Haircut is:

A. The crew or high and dry.

B. Long hair in a ponytail to keep it from getting in your face during combat.

C. Long hair but with a headband. Points for a headband made from the dress of a peasant girl you were trying to save.

The Standard Kit is:

A. Standard issue rifle, field pack and web gear.

B. Advanced and/or exotic foreign weapons developed after 1975.

C. Per soldier, each man carried (1) Sniper rifle, (2) M16 variants, (1) captured enemy AK47, (1) M60 General Purpose Machine Gun, (1) Flare Gun, (2) Handguns of any type, (1) Suppressed weapon and at least one kind of ancient weapon for silent killing (ie. blowgun, crossbow or bow & arrow). Food magically appears when needed.

The most common mission into enemy territory will be:

A. Intelligence gathering and recon.

B. A search for charlie and the resulting shoot em up firefight.

C. POW Rescue.

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The Standard Insertion Team into enemy territory consisted of:

A. A platton of 60 men or a squad of 5-16 men depending upon mission requirements.

B. Generally 2-4 guys who are REALLY GOOD.

C. ONE MAN who is a Green Beret, SEAL, Marine Recon, SAS or combination of the above.

The BEST means of engaging the enemy is:

A. From a concealed position offering as much cover as possible with a variety of escape routes.

B. Close quaters whenever possible in order to effect maximum dammage.

C. Standing upright in open terrain with guns blazing. Of course you take out the enemy snipers first thus throwing the enemy forces into panicked confusion.

The BEST method to employ a M60 GPMG or simlar weapon is:

A. Short rapid fire bursts from prone moving from target to target.

B. One LONG consecutive burst from prone that sweeps the terrain killing everything and making survivors crap themselves.

C. Standing firing the weapon from the hip scoring perfect hits at distances of 50-100m. Extra points for primal screaming and killing entire enemy squad and firing remaining rounds into the air.

The BEST means of emplying the Standard Fragmentation Grenade is:

A. Against close but concealed enemy postition.

B. In open terrain to break them up a bit and make kills more challenging.

C. Quickly running amongst the largest concentration of enemy troops, dropping the grenade at your feet and hauling ass. Extra points for yelling "BOOM" on your way out.

The most preferred method of extraction from enemy held territory is:

A. The most silent covert method possible. Can be on foot or by boat with the priority being concealment.

B. Hard and fast. Can be by speedboat, helicoptor, motorcycle(captured from the enemy) or dune buggy.

C. Dramtic. Either hanging from the skids of the helo, or even better a long rope ladder. The enemy will be far too awed by your daring and courage to even think of shooting you.

Upon successful completetion of your mission or patrol you can expect:

A. Another mission or patrol.

B. Specialized schooling or training to make you qualified for even more advanced missions.

C. The Congressional Medal of Honor. Almost every Vietnam vet got one.

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#2]
SA - How many tours and what years were you in the conflict?
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
SA - How many tours and what years were you in the conflict?
View Quote

I was like 7. So due to government restrictions on minors in combat I could only do "covert ops" into Laos and Cambodia. As a result of the classified nature of these operations I was denied MY CMOH.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Get rid of government restrictions, do it for the children.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The movie answer is "C" every time. The real world answer (for this civvie) would probably be "A" every time...

Scott

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#7]
While I wasn't borned yet, I do like to read about it.
Gary A. Linderer-
Eyes of the Eagle
Eyes Behind the Lines
Six Silent Men : 101st LRP/Rangers
Phantom Warriors
Phantom Warriors book II

Charles Henderson
Marine Sniper
Silent Warrior
Marshalling the Faithful : The Marines' First Year in Vietnam

You can find any of these books on Amazon
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
SA:
...As a result of the classified nature of these operations I was denied MY CMOH.
View Quote

OMG!
You were a potshack warrior too!?!? [:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
SCORING:

1. Mostly A answers. You are a mindless automatron. You cannot think or act for yourself. Everything you do is "by the book" or "from orders received." It is because of robotic morons like you that ultimate victory was not acheived. You are NO John Wayne.

2. Mostly B answers. It is obvious that you have seen "all the right movies." However you didn't pay close enough attention to detail and lack the balls to pull off the more aggressive stunts. You are a average grunt, but certainly no CMH winner. You will make excellent cannon fodder.

3. Mostly C answers. You are either a terrible wannabe or a true born again HARD mother f*cker from HELL. Either way your ability to be creative and think "outside the box" makes you invaluable to your unit of automatrons and a terror for the enemy to fear. If we had 5 or 6 more like you we would have had a victory party in Hanoi.

4. A combination of A,B or C answers. You are a wishy washy, indecisive, pervert hippie who cannot figure out what he wants to be when he's grown up. Congratulations you are a standard rank and file jackleg. Fortunatly there will be one guy from the "C" catagory in your unit who will save your worthless ass everytime you trip over your diaper.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#11]

BTW, that was a question (not an insult). Did you write the "Potshack Warriors!" post?

Maybe I was in a weird mood (I think I was sober), but that was one of the funniest posts I've ever read here!  
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

BTW, that was a question (not an insult). Did you write the "Potshack Warriors!" post?

Maybe I was in a weird mood (I think I was sober), but that was one of the funniest posts I've ever read here!  
View Quote

Wasn't me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#13]
The BEST means of employing a M79 grenade launcher at night is:

A. firing an illumination round and engaging specific targets.
B.   firing multiple rounds for “effect”.
C.  ranging on sound “out by the wire”.

The BEST way to call in an artillery strike is to:

A. give coordinates of enemy positions.
B. call in a strike on a terrain feature like a “tree line” or mark the target with smoke.
C. Get your people in the bunkers and call in the strike on your position.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top