Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2010 8:41:27 AM EDT
My 3 year old loves Monster Trucks, Mustangs and Lightning McQueen.  I want to get him an RC car that is worth a shit.  We have bought him several from Walmart and they all break fairly quickly.  A nitro car is out of the question for now.  He can play Xbox Racing games so as long as the RC car isnt too complicated he can figure it out.  I scoured Amazon.com and all of the cars that are priced under $100.00 all have shitty ratings.  I don't want to spend over $100.00.  I prefer something that has a battery pack.  The car must be able to drive on any surface, outside, on grass, dirt, rocks, etc.  Any ideas?

When he gets a little older I am going to build a nice Traxxas nitro car for him.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
thats a tough one buddy.. for a hobby grade r/c that can be repaired, and dont brake too easy,, the only ones that are around 100 bucks are either 1/18 scale like the Losi mini t.. or a rip off brand like seen on ebay...  The down fall of these 1/18 scale ones is they are small and dont go well outside unless on a somewhat smooth surface..( small tires, low ground clearance ).

so I suggest you DO look at Traxxas. Maybe go with the basic rustler, stampede, or bandit..    dont go brushless or nothin, just the basic ones..

Im pretty sure they can still be had for under 150 bucks.. they come with everything you need too except a battery pack and a decent charger..

good luck.

P.S.  feel free to pm me any questions.. Been running r/c for 15 yrs. might be able to answer specific questions on different trucks.. Ive bought a ton
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

thats a tough one buddy.. for a hobby grade r/c that can be repaired, and dont brake too easy,, the only ones that are around 100 bucks are either 1/18 scale like the Losi mini t.. or a rip off brand like seen on ebay...  The down fall of these 1/18 scale ones is they are small and dont go well outside unless on a somewhat smooth surface..( small tires, low ground clearance ).

so I suggest you DO look at Traxxas. Maybe go with the basic rustler, stampede, or bandit..    dont go brushless or nothin, just the basic ones..

Im pretty sure they can still be had for under 150 bucks.. they come with everything you need too except a battery pack and a decent charger..

good luck.

P.S.  feel free to pm me any questions.. Been running r/c for 15 yrs. might be able to answer specific questions on different trucks.. Ive bought a ton
I will see if I can find a used entry level Traxxas.  I have a real nice RC car that my dad got me a while back.  Its an Xmods car.  You can change out the electric motor and the gears etc.  It runs on AAA batteries and lasts a while.  It is extremely fast but it is very low to the ground and gets stuck unless you are on a really flat surface.   I let him play with it but I want one for him.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a three year old boy and I got a Traxxas Stampede for him and I to drive. He loves it...

I broke the 100$ mark you are looking for but it's a great R/C.  I got the truck ready to run for about 180 shipped (someone will be along shortly to tell me I got ripped off)

One of the best things about the Stamped is that the speed control has a training mode that reduces the throttle by 50%. My son is already learning to drive and steer pretty well with supervision.

I've had the R/C for about 2 years now and it's held up very well, no broken parts ect.

I also upgraded a little with full ball bearings and a 7 cell battery, it makes the truck fun to drive, at full throttle with the 7 cell pack it does about 30 MPH.

I'd spend a little more $ if I were you and get something that will last a couple years.

Good luck

Thurman.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with all these.  If you can't quite afford a nicer car, then wait.  Electric is the way to go.  I've had three nitro cars and still have two Ofna Pirate 10 Monsters.  They're 10th scale with .21 engines.  I've sometimes contemplated "over-filling" the tank and dropping a match.  That's not to say that Nitro is crap, it's just that I don't like having to work on stuff before I can use it.  It's just more of a PITA than I want to put up with.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have a three year old boy and I got a Traxxas Stampede for him and I to drive. He loves it...

I broke the 100$ mark you are looking for but it's a great R/C.  I got the truck ready to run for about 180 shipped (someone will be along shortly to tell me I got ripped off)

One of the best things about the Stamped is that the speed control has a training mode that reduces the throttle by 50%. My son is already learning to drive and steer pretty well with supervision.

I've had the R/C for about 2 years now and it's held up very well, no broken parts ect.

I also upgraded a little with full ball bearings and a 7 cell battery, it makes the truck fun to drive, at full throttle with the 7 cell pack it does about 30 MPH.

I'd spend a little more $ if I were you and get something that will last a couple years.

Good luck

Thurman.

I can't seem to find the Stampede for much less than you paid for it.  That is a bit over my budget for this Christmas.  I can't seem to find the xmods anymore either.  My xmod has lasted me years.  Its a 2nd Gen Infinity G35.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Crap....I thought you wanted a RC (Russian capture) K98 Mauser.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I am getting this for the kids this year.  I think it will be slow enough that the kids can learn on it and have some fun "rock crawling" around the house and yard.  

It only has a 15 minute run time so i am going to need some more batteries...  

Anyway, there you go for under $100.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I would stick to the major US distributed  brands, I think you should look into the traxxas stampede def. Do remember most rtr cars do NOT come with battery or charger.
The Traxxas rtrs do come with a cheapo chearger 8hr i think and a decent battery. If you get a car that doesent come with a batt charger it will add @ $60  to the cost of truck.

Hit up some local shops and check some stuff out. If you have any ?? shoot me an PM, i run a local shop in NJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top