Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2002 8:08:52 AM EDT
if you didn't verbally ask forgiveness of your sins (if you are a non-believer) OR if you are a believer, you didn't verbally ask forgiveness for a sin you committed?

This being Sunday and all, I just had to ask. There are times when I feel sorry and ashamed to have sinned and want to be right with the Lord but have not expressly uttered the words, "Please forgive me."

Would the criteria be met for forgiveness if God sees in your heart that you are sorry and want to be pure in His eyes again?

After all, God does see into our hearts and there is Scriptural evidence that it is where our [i]heart[/i] is that is important with Him.

I will give Scriptural references if requested.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Ya gotta ask.
You have to take the first step, bro.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Good question. I'm sure you'll get some great responses.

I don't think you need to cry out to heaven for forgivness, but I do think you need to acknowledge your sin. By knowing that you did wrong and being sorry I think God would be able to forgive you assuming your heart is in the right place to begin with. Of course a short prayer and a verbal request never hurts.[;)]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm, what would Jesus say?

[b]Matthew, Chapter 21:[/b]

28   [red][b]But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.[/b][/red]

29   [red][b]He answered and said, [u]I will not: but afterward he repented, and went[/u].[/b][/red]

30   [red][b]And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, [u]I go, sir: and went not[/u].[/b][/red]

31   [red][b]Whether of them twain did the will of his father?[/b][/red] They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, [red][b]Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you[/b][/red].

It is your actions, not simply your lips, that will carry you into Heaven or Hell.

But why tarry? Just [u]say[/u] the words with your lips that your heart is already confessing!

Eric The(ConfessHisNameAndBeBaptized!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe if you just told someone what you did and how you regret it, things might work out the same way.  Just list all of the things you have done that you think are wrong and maybe he will answer you through us.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I had written this down some time ago, but I believe it came from [u]The Power of Positive Thinking[/u] by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale.

"Any method through which you can stimulate the power of God to flow into your mind is legitimate and usable."

That being said, I firmly believe that if one can think of asking for forgiveness, one can verbally ask Him for forgiveness.

Larry King wrote (perhaps quoting one of his religious friends) in his book [u]Powerful Prayers[/u]:

1.  Prayer is easy and difficult.  Easy because prayer is a conversation, difficult because prayer requires one to pay attention to words and thoughts.

2.  Prayer should change you.  What you think is the best may not be what God knows you need.

3.  Prayer connects you to your true self.  Prayer is for you - not for God.

4.  Prayer goes to the source - it's a way to talk to the Master of the Universe, the Creator, the Almighty.

[/away from pulpit]

Jim
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Its sort of hard for someone who does not exist to really do anything.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually, you need to ask for forgiveness by the grace of Jesus Christ, and the Blood of Christ spilled in sacrifice for your sins. To Go Before the King in the filthy Rags of Sin would not get you forgiven. It is only by being made clean by the blood Of Jesus Christ that we can go boldly before the King- God- and ask for the forgiveness of our sins purchased by the death of Jesus.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
If God didn't want you to do something, don't you think She has the power to stop you from doing it in the first place?  Why would God give you free will, then punish you if you do the 'wrong' thing?  Sorry, don't buy it.  That's been a very effective control mechanism for a long time, but I don't believe it has any foundation in reality.

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting responses. What about these two references in the Bible:

1. The man who was let down through the roof of a house that Jesus was speaking in. Jesus went over to the ill man and said, "Thy sins are forgiven...take up thy bed and walk." Luke 5:20

It is mentioned that the man and his friends who carried him had faith, but never actually asked for forgiveness of anything. Jesus must have seen an attitude of remorse in his heart.

2. The woman who anointed Jesus' feet with oil. Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." There is no reference to her asking forgiveness for her sins, yet it was clear that she was remorseful and Jesus forgave her sins. Luke 7:48

Hmmm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its sort of hard for someone who does not exist to really do anything.
View Quote

While as a Fellow AR-15.com'er etc etc, I respect your opinions sir, it continues to puzzle me as to why you always chime in on religious threads with the express purpose of stirring up dust.

Appears to me that you are reaching out rather than trying to pursuade...............

TheHun answered most appropriately.

The lips must confess that which is within your heart.  Period....
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll stick up for Stormbringer, its up for us to forgive ourselves and to make life better for ourselves and others around us.  No one else can do it for us.  I walk around without a crutch, thus if I falter its my fault, no one elses.  Also, to get back up I can rely only on myself.  If I don't have the will to stand myself then I don't deserve to rise and should remain down and die.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not trying to "get away with as little as I can" here, jus' trying to figure out what God is looking for, ie, what is really important.

So far, I haven't heard any clearcut scripture references about [i]having[/i] to verbally ask for forgiveness.

Also, how about the woman who was caught in the act of adultery? She was clearly guilty, but Jesus forgave her sin even while there is no record of her asking for forgiveness.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Wobblin,

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Note the word confess.

<3670> o`mologe,w homologeo
Meaning: to speak the same, to agree
Origin: from  o`mo,logoj homologos (of one mind)
Usage: acknowledge(2), admit(1), assured(1), confess(6), confessed(4), confesses(6), confessing(1), declare(1), give thanks(1),  made(1), profess(1), promised(1).

Notes:  (a) Psa 32:5; Pro 28:13 (b) Tit 2:14  

Consider the above with Acts 3:19 "Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away,

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#15]
After the JUSTIFICATION, all sins are forgiven, past, present, and future.  You can't be un-frgiven.  However, many believe that you can be a nice guy and say you're sorry for what you did.  However, one must ask, if God has already forgiven and forgotten about what you just did, when you ask for forgiveness, does he think, "Forgiveness for what?"
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wobblin,

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Note the word confess.

<3670> o`mologe,w homologeo
Meaning: to speak the same, to agree
Origin: from  o`mo,logoj homologos (of one mind)
Usage: acknowledge(2), admit(1), assured(1), confess(6), confessed(4), confesses(6), confessing(1), declare(1), give thanks(1),  made(1), profess(1), promised(1).

Notes:  (a) Psa 32:5; Pro 28:13 (b) Tit 2:14  

Consider the above with Acts 3:19 "Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away,

Hope this helps
View Quote

I went looking for that reference but couldn't find it (gotta work sometime). I knew it mentioned the word "confess." Seems like that is what God is looking for.

What about the references I quoted?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#17]
geez...i'm in BIG trouble...you suppose God likes shooting AR-15s...[}:D]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Good responses and I'd like to add:

Mark 16:16  Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Verbal or not you can be forgiven.  Confess your sins and confess Jesus is Lord.  Be baptized and God confesses you are his.

Mark 1:9-11 It came to pass in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And immediately, coming up from the water, He saw the heavens parting and the Spirit descending upon Him like a dove. Then a voice came from heaven, "You are My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

BTW God will forgive you of the sins you know of and are unaware of.  Everyone continually needs Gods grace and forgivenss.

God bless,

Shok
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top