Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2002 4:20:40 PM EDT
was outside all day today enjoying a day with the family..
You know the type of day.. its such a nice day you only wana go inside to take a dump..then run back outside..
well every thing is going great ,, kids are killing each other, only songs you like are coming out of the radio oh and Im sure the wife was around somewhere...:-)

When out of no where 4 baby birds fall out of the sky.. one got stepped on..
I think damn , some moma bird is going to lose her damn mind when she comes back and the kids are gone... so I grab a ladder< by now I have the remaning birds on a piece of cardboard>
and almost break my neck trying to put them back from where they fellout off..
so there I  am being my kids hero cause I saved the little baby birds. when I see two birds come flying back to the nest. I see what I beleive is the mom trying to  feed them < thinking to myself..self...your alright..>
by this time the kids are no longer amused and start killing each other again. when the god damn thing clearly starts throwing her kids overboard !!! I felt like puting a pellet in her sorry mom ass. but I ended up simply moving the birds to where Im sure they will die, but if the mom keeps dropping them 30 feet  onto the concrete they are going tO die any way..

point is ....   it was just sad to see it happen..
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If those chicks had your scent on them, the mother will reject them.  Sucks, but that's the way it is.
View Quote

Yep. Whatever you do, don't touch 'em. Sometimes they won't just throw them out, they'll peck 'em to death first.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It was probably a corrupt cop that threw them out of the nest. Right cluster?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I realize the scent thing thats why I scopped them up with two peices of cardboard...
I can only asumme the first time was not an accident and when she returned to find them back up there it just pissed her off some more..

maybe it was another bird trying to steal a ready made nest..?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It was probably a corrupt cop that threw them out of the nest. Right cluster?
View Quote

well hell It was such a nice day I let my gaurd down... "corrupt" bird cop.. yeah that explains it all..   maybe they didnt pay off the cop this week and if  that dirty bird cop lets this one slide... then no one will take him seriosly...
well all is right in the world again

[:)]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Very profound, I must agree.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]
dude, i know exactly how you feel.

thursday night matt calls to me downstairs and says, "i need your help [b]NOW[/b]."  turns out our dog had found a nest of baby bunnies.

we couldn't leave them in the yard because the dog would surely terrorize them to death (she won't kill intentionally, but she does tend to bite a little hard, those poor spines can't take it!).  and i didn't really want to move them anywhere because it's a freakin' neighborhood and people mow their yards.

plus, we couldn't find the one that the dog found in the yard.  and i didn't know how old they were.  grrrrrr.

so i called local animal rehab people and described the situation and the state/size/behavior of the baby rabbits.  she said she thought they were old enough to be relocated.  so we did that.  i felt really bad though, not knowing for sure.  we scooped them up in a cardboard box with all their nesting material and drove them to this empty field that butts up against a small forest.  i hope they're doing okay.

later that night we let the dog out.  momma bunny goes scurrying away, running from where the nest used to be.  oops!!!!  guess she was still being momma.  and then we hear a [b]squeak[/b].  we had missed one baby bunny.  i shooed him into the neighbor's yard (again, certain death in ours).  he's so small and it's been so cold lately.  i just hope the little bugger is okay.

i know i did what i could and nature takes care of her own.  but damn, nature didn't take into account crazy, hyper bird dogs who can't leave well enough alone!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If those chicks had your scent on them, the mother will reject them.  Sucks, but that's the way it is.
View Quote

Yep. Whatever you do, don't touch 'em. Sometimes they won't just throw them out, they'll peck 'em to death first.
View Quote

No, not to start a silly flame, but I believe this is wrong.  The thing about picking-up human scent is a wives tale (regarding birds, at least.)
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Well it looks like you got yourself some baby birds to raise. You will need a puppet.

Ben
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The story about picking up baby birds is not true.  We have had many swallow nests on our house and also robin's nests.  If the babies fall out, momma bird comes to the window or door and screams at me until I go out and put them back in nest.  Momma then lands and coo's at me after first making sure the babies are all ok.  
Been doing this for years.

marsh
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Family fun for all.Get your revenge on neighbors cats. Supplies= 1 24" piece of threaded 1/2 or 3/4 pipe, 1 threaded cap. Drill 3/8" hole 1-1/2" from end nearest threaded cap. Put a left over BlackCat firecracker in the hole and push in wad of cotton into other end end and drop in chick! Aim a neighbors cat as he is nosing around your yard and whammo he gets a dose of "revenge of the baby chicks!" [:D]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Great story.  I guess it is to late to let you know that you should not touch baby birds with your bare hands.  Nice try though.   [:D]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
*sniff*  just found the last baby rabbit tonight.  the dog left it as a present on the back stoop.  [:(]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#14]
ARLady we had the same problem with cats.  We had pet rabbit is our back yard and they had babies.  The damn neighborhood cats kept taking the babies.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://pages.prodigy.net/mjartisian/badgeBH.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay, let me open Pandora's box of flames!!!
Where they "BLACK" birds.
Perhaps they got evicted?!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Okay, let me open Pandora's box of flames!!!
Where they "BLACK" birds.
Perhaps they got evicted?!
View Quote

Cute.  But maybe the "non-black"bird was evicting parasitic non-"non-black"bird babies.  Or maybe the "black"bird was the one throwing the "non-black"bird babies out of the nest, to make room for its own eggs.  [red]cluster[/red], was the bird throwing the babies out a blackbird of some sort, or did the babies not look like they were of the same species as the purported mother?

The cuckoo is best-known for this reproductive strategy, but other birds do it as well.  In North America, the cowbird (which is one of several species in the blackbird family) does it.

[url]http://newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/300-399/nb346.htm[/url]
[url]http://dep.state.ct.us/burnatr/wildlife/factshts/cowbird.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Our cat keeps catching THE SAME lizard in our yard. Every time, it bites off a bit more of its tail... my wife calls the lizard "stumpy".

Our kids were fascinated at how the severed tail still wrigged on its own, and kept asking how exactly the tail will grow back.

LMAO
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Cluster,
The "scent" thing regarding birds is nothing but pure urban myth.  71-Hour_Achmed is absolutely correct in his reply to you.  I've worked with birds on a professional level for 35 years and prior to that, kept them myself...  beginning at age 6.
W
NB: Rothsteen and Spaw completed the majority of current research on the Brown-headed cowbird and I'm not certain about the cuckoo, but Rothsteen does make a few comparisons in his earlier work.  Carol Spaw passed away just a few years ago...  at a much too young age.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our earth is not increasing in size, so there must be death to balance birth. Otherwise things would get out of hand.

We will never understand the details that we see up close, but the big picture is simple, and not cause for sadness.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#22]
were they really young?
maybe the mother was starting flying lessons?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#23]
these birds where way to young to start thier flight training.. they could barley open thier wings all they could to was open thier lillte beaks begging for food< didnt even make a sound>
just came to the conclusion that some liberal bird decied it was [b]Entitled[/b] to the nest more then the current family...
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Our earth is not increasing in size, so there must be death to balance birth. Otherwise things would get out of hand.

We will never understand the details that we see up close, but the big picture is simple, and not cause for sadness.
View Quote

what a myopic (and irrelevant) viewpoint!
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very few birds can smell. It was on   documentary I watched a few months back. If I remember correctly only birds that feed on carrion have this ability. She must not have recognized tham as hers, U put them in the wrong nest or some other species of bird was claiming the nest for itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top