Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That's a good one.  

Almost looks like a painting.
FYI, The picture is labeled as Tasr Bomba but it's actually a French test "Licorne" in 1970.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the story behind that one.

Please tell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Schumann

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

the brainpower present in this picture is astounding...Solvay Conference 1927, with an impressive list of attendees who went on to collect 17 Nobel prizes.
BACK: A. Piccard, E. Henriot, P. Ehrenfest, Ed. Herzen, Th. De Donder, E. Schrödinger, J.E. Verschaffelt, W. Pauli, W. Heisenberg, R.H. Fowler, L. Brillouin;
MIDDLE: P. Debye, M. Knudsen, W.L. Bragg, H.A. Kramers, P.A.M. Dirac, A.H. Compton, L. de Broglie, M. Born, N. Bohr;
FRONT: I. Langmuir, M. Planck, M. Curie, H.A. Lorentz, A. Einstein, P. Langevin, Ch. E. Guye, C.T.R. Wilson, O.W. Richardson

I wonder how many college graduates today would recognize more than one of those names?

(I'm almost as bad, I only know 6 of them)

I graduated in May with a BS in Biology, and I know off the top of my head at least one of the contributions each of Schrodinger, Pauli, Heisenberg, Dirac, Compton, de Broglie, Bohr, Planck, Curie, Lorentz, and Einstein. I also recognize the names of Ehrenfest, Debye, and Langmuir.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  I first saw a poster of it in my history classroom in sixth grade - when I was living in Germany - and it's such a striking image, it has stuck with me since then.

I really want to find a poster of it.  If you know of a place that makes them, I'd love to know.  

If you can find a hi-res of it, I'll make you a poster.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Please tell.

I love stories that end in suicide as well. Especially hangings.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#7]

And that Church has yet to be allowed to rebuild.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell.

I was talking about the story of the photograph, the way he just succumbed to the shouts of "come over" and dropped his rifle, not the man's later life.

Anyway. I can't find a hi-res of the photo...sorry DK. I did find this, proving that nothing is sacred.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Please tell.

Hilarious

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Guy in the back row, middle.  Isn't he supposed to have a cat?  I don't see it.

Quoted:

Always liked this one...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/IndyIndyIndigo/Solvay_conference_1927.jpg

the brainpower present in this picture is astounding...Solvay Conference 1927, with an impressive list of attendees who went on to collect 17 Nobel prizes.

BACK: A. Piccard, E. Henriot, P. Ehrenfest, Ed. Herzen, Th. De Donder, E. Schrödinger, J.E. Verschaffelt, W. Pauli, W. Heisenberg, R.H. Fowler, L. Brillouin;

MIDDLE: P. Debye, M. Knudsen, W.L. Bragg, H.A. Kramers, P.A.M. Dirac, A.H. Compton, L. de Broglie, M. Born, N. Bohr;

FRONT: I. Langmuir, M. Planck, M. Curie, H.A. Lorentz, A. Einstein, P. Langevin, Ch. E. Guye, C.T.R. Wilson, O.W. Richardson

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT  

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Guy in the back row, middle.  Isn't he supposed to have a cat?  I don't see it.
Quoted:
Always liked this one...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/IndyIndyIndigo/Solvay_conference_1927.jpg

Maybe.  Maybe not.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Part of my little collection, uncommon advertising content (circa 1880s).

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://www.barewalls.com/i/c/459218_Wounded-and-Shocked-Helicopter-Crew-Vietnam.jpg

The photos in this issue had a profound influence on my life when I was a kid.

I remember the Life (or Look?) magazine cover with the armored personnel carrier taking wounded (heavily bandaged) GI's out of some battle.

Some time in ~1967 +/- a year.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  I first saw a poster of it in my history classroom in sixth grade - when I was living in Germany - and it's such a striking image, it has stuck with me since then.

I really want to find a poster of it.  If you know of a place that makes them, I'd love to know.  

If you can find a hi-res of it, I'll make you a poster.

I found this:

http://doradueck.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/img_08035.jpg

looks like a scan from a book, but it was 2,730px × 1,974px.  You might be able to do something with it...

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Try here if you have friends in Germany

Where can you buy the Peter Leibig print of Conrad Schumann jumping the Berlin Wall?
In: Berlin Wall [Edit categories]
[Improve]

It can easily be purchased at the remaining of Berlin wall small souvenir shop near by main train station.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_you_buy_the_Peter_Leibig_print_of_Conrad_Schumann_jumping_the_Berlin_Wall#ixzz17lcpNmUP
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That's a good one.  

Almost looks like a painting.
also not the tsar bomba...

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

its a bear

At first I thought Sun bear...but then I googled it to refresh my memory, and the body didn't match.  But from the picture, the claws and high legs resemble a bear, but the nose/head/ears kinda threw me off.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen the film footage of it as well. Very powerful. One of my friends was an MP at Checkpoint Charlie when the wall came down.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

its a bear

. It's obviously a possum.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#34]
OP, never ask a scientist for philosophy.

Sagan saw a picture of earth as a dot and viewed us as insignificant, like a kid looking up at the night sky.

But try this:

Go out and look up at the night sky tonight.  And think about this: of everything that you can see, all indications are that your planet has the only intelligent, sentient, life.  Are we pawns in the universe, or is the universe a pawn in our minds?  Why do we have such contempt for our apparently unique ability to appreciate existence?

To rephrase that:

According to all available data, we are the only significance in the universe.

How's that for thought provoking?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Sagan saw a picture of earth as a dot and viewed us as insignificant, like a kid looking up at the night sky.

But try this:

Go out and look up at the night sky tonight.  And think about this: of everything that you can see, all indications are that your planet has the only intelligent, sentient, life.  Are we pawns in the universe, or is the universe a pawn in our minds?  Why do we have such contempt for our apparently unique ability to appreciate existence?

To rephrase that:

500 years ago we didn't even know how to define life, sentience, the size of the universe or what it's composed of. Imagine in 500 years how we'll view ourselves. Betting it's not so important in the scheme of the big old 'verse.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Thanks for looking!  I really appreciate it.

I've searched before, and I just rummaged around with Google again, and I still cannot find it.

I found a post by some guy saying he saw them for sale in a store in Berlin, but that doesn't exactly help.  

I cleaned the book scan up from the image linked above. It's not too bad...can probably make a 20" print out of it very well. If you want a copy of it, be glad to send it to ya.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But try this:

To rephrase that:

500 years ago we didn't even know how to define life, sentience, the size of the universe or what it's composed of. Imagine in 500 years how we'll view ourselves. Betting it's not so important in the scheme of the big old 'verse.

Weak.

In counter, try this.

No matter how many aliens you meet, you will never be one of them.  In fact, in the entire universe, the only distinct uncopyable and unduplicatable object is your, swingset's, awareness.  You exist as you and nobody else.  In fact, you have no indisputable evidence that the rest of us are even aware like you; that's just conjecture.

So, forget the human race.  The only real significance in the universe, to you, stops when you fall asleep, and starts again when you wake up.  What aliens could you find that would change that?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

But try this:

To rephrase that:

Truth. We are more fortunate than anyone in history to this point. Let us hope that the trend continues .
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But try this:

To rephrase that:

Weak.

In counter, try this.

No matter how many aliens you meet, you will never be one of them.  In fact, in the entire universe, the only distinct uncopyable and unduplicatable object is your, swingset's awareness.  You exist as you and nobody else.  In fact, you have no indisputable evidence that the rest of us are even aware like you; that's just conjecture.

So, forget the human race.  The only real significance in the universe, to you, stops when you fall asleep, and starts again when you wake up.  What aliens could you find that would change that?

Your philosopher e-penis is turgid and mighty, I submit to it's veiny superiority. Your thoughts are deeper than mine, Camus.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

Your philosopher e-penis is turgid and mighty, I submit to it's veiny superiority. Your thoughts are deeper than mine, Camus.

I lost!

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did not know you lived in Germany.  You understand the regret felt in that country.  You can sense it in the very air you breathe there, and in every German you meet.  Very interesting perspective you have. Regards, CBR.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

I guess we got a little too thought provoking for you, huh.  How about you stick to dinner pic threads instead.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#48]
THread is so full of WIN, it is beyond words!
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

I guess we got a little too thought provoking for you, huh.  How about you stick to dinner pic threads instead.

I'm not going to play remedial existentialism with you, sport. It was an endless volley of self-absorbed nonsense in college 20 years ago, and I'm even less interested in doing it now. You just want to be superior, that's utterly apparent and nothing that's left your gob is new to me or inspired. Maybe you missed the idea of the thread, it wasn't to debate, puff your chest out with vague hodge-podge philosophy, or engage in one-upsmanship, all of which you're doing and I didn't ask for.

Go post a pic in a debate thread, it'll balance out the universe.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top