Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2002 11:47:22 AM EDT
    I mean heck... yes it was all arab muslims who did sept 11 th, and yes, many arab countries have anti-american sentiments, but i mean common, there's 1.2 billion muslims.  It isnt exactly fair to call them [b]all[/b] bad or even the majority of them bad, and so therefor racial profiling is also unfair, though some of you seem to disagree....( [url/]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=111558[/url] ).  
      I have quite a few muslim friends, and they are in no way anti-american, or even anti-semitic, and they do not like bin laden.  I do not see why they should have to endure strange looks or potential racial profiling just because of their appearance (like wearing a had scarf) or religeon.  We like to criticize the opinions of Muslims towards other religions in countries that are predominantly Muslim, but in doing so, are we doing the very thing that we criticize them about?  It just seems kinda hypocrytical to me.  
   As i scroll through the pages of the discussion boards, i see an alarming number of anti arab or anti-muslim topics... every1 has their less admirable sides, but i just noticed that at the moment they've been kinda singled out. What was the point of that Jewish vs Muslim nobel winners post?  Its obviously true, but is there really a good reason to bring this up?
   I could name more topics... but im sure you guys all know what im takling about.  This is not intended as a flame, but i was just wondering... through our fear and hatred of terrorism, as well as the fact that most of us are not exactly scholars on that part of the world, are we unintentionally becomming somewhat intolerant of these people?  
    The US is one place in the world where many diverse people can live side by side, and it would be a pitty to see that condition of tolerance deteriorate, either through intolerance towards arabs or any other ethnic group.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Your board-name says it all...

[img]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/dvv/cwmjitter.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The tenets of Islam are incompatible with a constitutional republic. Can you name one majority-Muslim nation anywhere that is not a festering hellhole of opression?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The words DIVERSE and TOLERANCE are way over used and usually put me to sleep.[sleep]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The tenets of Islam are incompatible with a constitutional republic. Can you name one majority-Muslim nation anywhere that is not a festering hellhole of opression?
View Quote

Yeah thats true, but hate the government, not the people.

One of the major problems with Arab countries is their location.  I'm not that sure, but I think their only natural resource is oil.  The big problem with oil is that a group of men can easily control all of it within the country.  Its like capitalism, but there isn't any profit or chance for profit for anybody except the extremely rich.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah thats true, but hate the government, not the people.
View Quote

The people support the government. Islam is all about running the entire world under Sharia'a law.

What do you think would happen if Muslims became the majority group in America?

Open warfare, that's what would happen. I wouldn't allow them to repeal all the Amendments to the Constitution, and toss it aside like a piece of scrap paper.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
it ain't racism...it's paranoia.

how am i supposed to know if the arab looking guy i saw at walmart today isn't a bin laden sympathizer?  i can't.  i tend to look on them all a bit more suspiciously now than i ever did precisely because i can't tell where their sympathies lie.

i don't like, nor am i proud, of my tendency to look upon them all with suspicion.  but i'm not about to let my greater ideals interfere with my ability to stay alive.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I CAN!.....BOSTON.....oh wait....hell you still got me...dammit. C'mon Oprah says these people are great...

Serously, my problem is not with people from Muslim countries. Many had the common sense to LEAVE because it sucks. I can respect that.

I think the people "I" resent are Fundamentalists Muslims. Of course you put "Fundamentalist" in front of a lot of things and you get problems.

For example. I think Buddhists are complete ridiculous in their beliefs. But don't bother me so I don't bother them. They can believe any ridiculous silly thing they want. However I'm sure if I ever met a Fundamentalist Buddhists he's probably be an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

how am i supposed to know if the arab looking guy i saw at walmart today isn't a bin laden sympathizer?  i can't.  i tend to look on them all a bit more suspiciously now than i ever did precisely because i can't tell where their sympathies lie.

i don't like, nor am i proud, of my tendency to look upon them all with suspicion.  but i'm not about to let my greater ideals interfere with my ability to stay alive.

View Quote

I DISAGREE that prejudice is a BAD thing. I am prejudice. I prejudge MOST people. Here are some examples...

If someone looks and talks like a gang member I assume they are a POS until I know different.

If somebody is wearing a US military uniform I assume they are honorable until I know different.

If somebody is hiding in the bushes late at night I assume they are up to no good until I know different.

The big issue is the difference between prejudiced and racist.

To be prejudiced is to make prejudgements about a person with little or no facts. This will often save your life. And it is harmless. If you are wrong, you simply adapt to the NEW facts.

To be racist is to continue with your previous beliefs in SPITE of facts and evidence that suggests you are way off base.

So to use the Muslim/Arab example. If I don't "know" them I may keep an eye on them, etc. But I'm not gonna shake down my Arab buddies for semtex everytime I see them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One of the major problems with Arab countries is their location.  I'm not that sure, but I think their only natural resource is oil.  The big problem with oil is that a group of men can easily control all of it within the country.  Its like capitalism, but there isn't any profit or chance for profit for anybody except the extremely rich.
View Quote
If natural resources or lack thereof was an inherent economic problem, then why are Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc. doing so much better than much (all?) of the Middle East, even with their current economic troubles?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not racist, i hate everyone equally.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I DISAGREE that prejudice is a BAD thing. I am prejudice. I prejudge MOST people. Here are some examples...

If someone looks and talks like a gang member I assume they are a POS until I know different.

If somebody is wearing a US military uniform I assume they are honorable until I know different.

If somebody is hiding in the bushes late at night I assume they are up to no good until I know different.

The big issue is the difference between prejudiced and racist.

To be prejudiced is to make prejudgements about a person with little or no facts. This will often save your life. And it is harmless. If you are wrong, you simply adapt to the NEW facts.

To be racist is to continue with your previous beliefs in SPITE of facts and evidence that suggests you are way off base.

So to use the Muslim/Arab example. If I don't "know" them I may keep an eye on them, etc. But I'm not gonna shake down my Arab buddies for semtex everytime I see them.
View Quote

i never said it was a bad thing.  i said i wasn't proud of it, nor did i like having to do it.  two very different things from what you accussed me of saying.

i don't like my short temper either.  but that doesn't mean it's always a bad thing, does it?

i wish i didn't have to pre-judge sometimes, i wish the world weren't like that.  but i know better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

i never said it was a bad thing.  i said i wasn't proud of it, nor did i like having to do it.  two very different things from what you accussed me of saying.
View Quote

Rest easy, I accused YOU of nothing. I was speaking in generalities. You know like "Racism Is Bad." Surely you've come across that one once or twice.

Quoted:
i don't like my short temper either.  but that doesn't mean it's always a bad thing, does it?
View Quote

ONLY if the person is female...[:D]

Quoted:
i wish i didn't have to pre-judge sometimes, i wish the world weren't like that.  but i know better.
View Quote

Me too but then we wouldn't have advanced weapons for dealing with assholes. And how much fun could "that" be?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#13]
CrazyMonkey,

To answer your question, AR15.com contains many racist postings.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I do not see why they should have to endure strange looks or potential racial profiling just because of their appearance (like wearing a had scarf) or religeon.
View Quote

Gee, I remember thinking the same thing when I was in Japan, Guam, Korea, the middle east, central America, certain parts of California...

Eddie
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm [u]not[/u] a racist, I'm an ethnocentrist![:D]

My race is the only race that concerns me.

Now go away, Troll! [:K]

Eric The(HumanRace!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What was the point of that Jewish vs Muslim nobel winners post?  Its obviously true, but is there really a good reason to bring this up?
View Quote

That was my thread so I'll address it.

The point was to raise a question of the Muslim culture. Why aren't there more contributions to humanity from the "Muslim World" given their population, wealth and resources?

It was not an attack on all Muslims. Several of my close colleagues are Muslim and are highly intelligent and accomplished researchers and professors. But they are a productive part of THIS culture - Western Civilization.

My thread was a serious question/swipe at the entire primative "Moslem World" culture.

The same culture that deifies Yassar AFatRat and Usama bin Hidin'.

The same culture that straps dynamite to their own children just to kill other Jewish children.

The same culture that celebrates the destruction of MY homeland.

This was the point of my thread. It is the medievally-minded culture of the "Moslem World" that is keeping them poor, uneducated and simply parasitic on the successes of the Western World.

The problems of the Moslem World are homegrown and are NOT because America is a racist, greedy, Jew-loving, Arab-hating nation of infidels who need to be eradicated for the sake of Allah.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm not racist, i hate everyone equally.
View Quote

LOL. I tell people that I am peopleist. I hate all people.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, my two cents here....think it is more racist that security screeners at airports now are waving all middle eastern young males through without search or suspicion because they don't want to be accused of racism.  Umm...also dangerous and stupid.  However, yes we should judge individuals on merit, not on skin color, but in the terrorism game, I don't think that this is a prudent course of action.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not a Rascist I hate everyone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Your board-name says it all...

[img]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/dvv/cwmjitter.gif[/img]
View Quote

Ditto

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/monkbum.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Some people say that America is a racist country, but those are generally people who have never been anywhere else.

When Mexican illegal immigrants are arrested here, do you know what happens to them? They are photographed, fingerprinted, put on a bus and delivered south of the border where they belong.

Do you know what happens to Guatemalan or Honduran illegal immigrants arrested in Mexico? They have the shit kicked out of them, have everything of value they own stolen and are dumped across the border after a long stint in a Mexican jail. Ever seen a Mexican jail? I have.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#23]

For example. I think Buddhists are complete ridiculous in their beliefs. But don't bother me so I don't bother them. They can believe any ridiculous silly thing they want. However I'm sure if I ever met a Fundamentalist Buddhists he's probably be an asshole.
View Quote

The above statement is pretty ridiculous. What beliefs are you referring to? Or, do you just mean to indicate Richard Gere?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I look at it this way. IF 20 Americans went into some other country and killed thousands of their citizens, do you think we would be welcome there. NO.....   Unlike others I believe that the MAJORITY of the people in those countries DO HATE THE U.S. They hate me because I am an American, and I am therefore evil. This is what they have been taught sense birth, and isn't going to chenge with different governments. It will only change when every last person who harbors a hatred for us is dead. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be allowed to hate us, but their hate inpires terrorism and that is WAR. I believe that it has started, and we need to finish it. Those countries and all the people in them either need to stand aginst terrorism with force or stand aginst us. Those, should be the only choices given, and accepted.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#25]
This is the United States of America, you have the right to hate anyone you want
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 2:53:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I look at it this way. IF 20 Americans went into some other country and killed thousands of their citizens, do you think we would be welcome there.
View Quote

Enola Gay?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#28]
When we stop enabling some certain little hypocritical country to be tyranical oppressors while claiming to be a "democracy" (bullshit!!), we will see much of that hate go away.

BTW, as far as decent Arab countries go, Bahrain and the U.A.E. (especially Dubai) are not any more oppressive than most European countries.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

The above statement is pretty ridiculous. What beliefs are you referring to? Or, do you just mean to indicate Richard Gere?
View Quote

No I was referring to all the tenents of Buddhism. I just decided to give Christianity a breakthis time. I don't believe anybodys ancient fairy tales/mythology.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I have to agree with SteyrAUG on this one.  I give people the benefit of the doubt unless they have given you a reason to do otherwise, but am wary of all strangers.  Getting repeatedly searched in the airport because security guards need to get their "quota" of white males around 30 yrs old really psses me off.  Profiling is not a bad thing.  (see SteyrAUG's previous comment)
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I look at it this way. IF 20 Americans went into some other country and killed thousands of their citizens, do you think we would be welcome there.
View Quote

Enola Gay?
View Quote

My point exactly....

If those boys would have dropped the bomb, turned and landed at some other local airport and hopped out of the plane would they be welcomed. HELL NO. If any other american stepped foot on their soil at that time what would have happened??? They would have been shot or imprisoned. There are still many japanese that resent that attack.

Name a time where any nation has watched thousands of its citizens die in MURDER brought forth by a group which is supported by a MAJORITY in other countries, and then reacted in a calm and reserved manner. We are the only ones because we have the belief that those people are good people. Well guess what they aren't. Middle-eastern countries and people on a whole don't like us. The ones that do like us are the ones that come to our country and become welcome and contributing members of american society. I'm not saying that every muslim is bad, but I am saying that a majority of the muslims in the middle east wan't us dead. An American is an American, until they hyphenate their name, (muslim-American, Afro-American) then their not ameriacans anymore, their wastes of my time and money. They should be sent back to where ever their hypen takes them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#32]
yup, never know if that arab guy you see supports bin laden

also don't know if that white guy supports him
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20020401/mdf6611.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top