Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2002 4:45:32 AM EDT
I will use the binoculars mostly in an urban enjoinment and at the range.
I wear glasses and I do not want to spend more than $400.

Please respond in detail.
Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]
IOR has some very good stuff at resonable prices.  and they are not made in china!

I have a pair of rangefinding 10x40's that are awsome.  Friends compliment on their clarity.

[url]http://www.valdada.com[/url]

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Wearing eyeglasses requires binos with good eye relief.  Steiners have the best I have encountered.  With their fold down eyecups, you get 22 mm, if I recall correctly.  My favorites are the M22 Army issue.

[url]http://www.swfa.com/binoculars/steiner/index.html[/url]  

The laser filters on these cut down the brightness slightly, but these are out of your specified price range.

The current issue USGI M22 is the Fujinon M22B

[url]http://www.fujinonbinocular.com/cgi-bin/prod/list?p=65[/url]

They have 18mm of eye relief with fold down eyecups.  The broad spectrum laser filters render a strange image, removing most of the green color.

Both of these have the Mil Dot Rangefinder included inside.  Being built to withstand, well, a war, they can stand up to anything you can dish out.

I have a pair of the Fujinon's for sale.  If you are interested, contact me at [email protected] for more information.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
 Check out the Minolta Activa 10 x 42's. They are very clear, weather proof, and have true long eye relief. I have some and they are very nice. Brunton is supposed to make some compact 10's that are weatherproof, have long eye relief, and are supposed to be good but I've never seen any in the flesh.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot an email to [email][email protected][/email]  Troy is Fuji's national rep and while he may not be able to sell them to you he can give you a real education in what to look for.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Friz - I too wear glasses and I found the Nikon Monarchs have great eye relief and are under $300. the picture is excellent also.  Brunton makes a very nice pair for under $300 as well, the picture is very clear and field of view is also excellent. I've tried both and own the Nikons in 8 x 42. Can't go wrong with either for the money.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I think these will do just fine.

Owning or havung owned steiner M22/IOR/Zeiss EDF
the EdF's are the winner in my opinion with the IOR as close second. these from SOG should be just as good.

[img]http://southernohiogun.com/images/ZEISS-7X40.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I looked for high quality mid priced binocs for years, all the while wishing I could afford a pair of Leicas since I've always been blown away by their quality.

I picked up a pair of Leupold Wind River binocs at a show last year to examine, and was so impressed that I bought them on the spot and have been enjoying them ever since.  This isn't a brand that you hear much about, but the optical and build quality are fantastic and the cost is reasonable.

I have the 10x42 WM series model, paid around $350 if memory serves.  They make a lower cost W2 series also but I don't know the difference between the two series.  I think the WM series may have been replaced by the P1 series, you can check their website at [url]http://www.leupold.com/products/wind_river.htm[/url].

I'd recommend an 8X model for urban use since 10X is very difficult to hold w/o shaking.  10X is marginal for range use unless you're shooting large caliber (bigger holes) at 100 yds or anything else at shorter distances, so I think you may be looking at two very different applications that will be hard to cover with one binocular.

The WM series comes with a very comfortable padded carry strap, and has roll down eyecups to accomodate eyeglass wearers.  I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat but would probably go with 8X instead of 10X for general use if I had to do it over again.  These things are very tough to beat on quality:price.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#8]
[b]Wash-Ar15[/b] -

What kind of binoculars are those? EdF?

I need to know because I picked up some in excellent from a friend of mine, who told me that they were some of the last East German military binoculars, and that they were made by Zeiss.

I mean it's the same set-up with pop-out lens covers, and a device for lighting up the recticle at night, which device is kept in the case.

The binoculars are unmarked, basically.

So what's the story on them?

BTW, I got them for a very good price.

Eric The(Inquisitive)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think these will do just fine.

Owning or havung owned steiner M22/IOR/Zeiss EDF
the EdF's are the winner in my opinion with the IOR as close second. these from SOG should be just as good.

[img]http://southernohiogun.com/images/ZEISS-7X40.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Yeah, talk! I command you. I've been trying to find a pair for 7 or 8 years now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#10]
eric, those are 40mm zeiss.

the east germans, did buy zeiss optics..even prior to the fall of communisn/wall. the ssg-82 medium range sniping rifle featured zeiss glass. however, they were also masters at duplicating zeiss, jenna, dr. optik, carl kahles and hensholdt products (patent infringement? not behind the curtain!).

i've tried out a few euro optics. ior valdata is the best bang for the buck, imo...but for my money, zeiss has the brightest picture.

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, they're absolutely excellent binoculars!

Clear as any military optics I've ever seen.

Now, I think I really did get a great deal!

Eric The(Happy!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Ditto on the IOR

Good  price value for quality
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Its funny I bought a pair of Simmons 10X50 Binoc at Walmart about 8 or 10 years ago.  I take them everywhere, Whale watching, hunting, varment shooting, girl watching, star gazing.  Not afraid to take them anywhere because they only cost me $35.00.  I used the extra money to buy a good scope for my 308.  You don't need $400-$500 dollar Binoc for everyday use.  If my life depended on the Binocs then that would be a different story. My good optics are on my rifle.  If you have money to waste then buy the steiners/IOR, but if your funds are limited think again.  Not everyone drives a BMW.
good luck with your decision
(a good way to get the expensive ones is to ask for them as a present for Christmas or B-Day)
DA
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I have heard that the Tasco Offshore series are almost as good as the IOR's in optics, they are supposed to be tough, and very water resistant.  They have a rangfinder built in as well.  I'll see if I can find a link.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my Nikon Monarch Series  10x40
These things collect light like a x50 not a x40 its really amazing. Waterproof, shockproof, fogproof, 30 year warrenty.

They are so clear and I can focus them faster then any other Glass then I have used. Price was there for the Quality.

I bought mine from BiMart Online $259, that was the best price I could find. SWFA has then for $10 cheaper, after shipping Bi-Mart was cheaper.

Take the left over money and buy ammo or use it towards a scope for your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, found the link.  This is a review from Sniper Country.  Check it dude.

[url]http://www.snipercountry.com/TascoOS36.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#17]
here ya go. on the left is the EdF Bino.east German roof prism bino with infrared detector and tritium illuminated rectical.The best I have seen IMHO. These sold by deutsceoptiks a couple of years ago for $500.00.If you got them for less Eric the Hun than you got a great deal.

on the right is the IOR.mine a 1994 made and differ from the newer one in that the recticle is the standard Warsaw pattern and not the russian pattern. they are great,very clear.

I sold my M22's a couple of years ago.Too bulky and the clarity was'nt that great.laser filters were cool though.

the ones from SOG are NVA bino,predecesoor to the EDF. they are 279.00 in the shotgun news add.i would rate them close the the EDF and IOR.
Deutscheoptik has them for 399.00.
Buy them while you can at this price.

Some people don't want to  pay the big dollar for good bino but the difference is amazing when you put them next to a Walmart special.

Germans/austrians/Swiss make the best gun and glass in the world IMHO.

[img]http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00C/7B/D2/9D/43/oq2GAffcGI2k7kdSBoo6bhg74BXQKLnA0180.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Gentlemen:
Thank you for your advice.
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, [b]Wash-Ar15[/b]!

The pair I've got are the ones in the right of your photo.

An acquaintance of mine was selling a pair like the one on the left of your photo, for $400.00 at the Market Hall Gun Show earlier this month in Dallas.

He's the same fellow I bought my pair from for $300.00.

Both of them were very nice binoculars!

Eric The(Thanks,Again)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I necently purchased a pair of the Steiner Predators in 8x30 because I wear glasses too, and the 22mm eye relief is great. I also got the BinoBag, which I think is the "official" Steiner bag. Anyway, total was around $200. Maybe not the best, but good enough to see .22 cal bullet holes at 50 yards. For the 100 yard range, I use a spotting scope anyway.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 1:12:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top