Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2002 3:47:05 AM EDT
Hi everyone! I haven't posted in awhile so I thought I would share a story from yesterday.

I had reloaded some .45acp and was trying it out in my Colt Gov't Model yesterday. It's just some RN lead bullet junk that was cheap, and it let me work some "bugs" out of my Dillion XL650.
Anyway, I didn't have real good luck with the Colt auto, so I thought I would try it in my Powder Srings MAC-10 (NFA weapon).
Guess what???? The MAC ate it like candy. No problems at all. Well, since that few rounds ran through it, what about a full stick? (30 rounds). YES! A full stick ran fine too! But wait! Let's do a full stick "dump"! After this, we've (my wife and I) probably shot only 100 rounds.
While picking up brass I hear a car pull into the driveway. I look up and it's Ky. Vehicle Enforcement. I thought she was just turning around until she puts it into park and gets out. Jokingly I said, "I didn't do it". She replies, "yes you did, I see it on the tailgate of your truck". There lies my MAC.

"We got a call about someone shooting, they've got us patroling and answering calls in the county if you are wondering why I'm here" she told us. "The caller said it sounds like a Sub-machine gun".
"It IS a sub-machine gun" I said cheerfully.
I showed her my Form 4. She looks it over from page 1 to page 3 the reciept from where I purchased it and says, "My husband would like to shoot this". I said, "A lot of people would like to shoot this".
My wife and I are having a good conversation with this lady when a Sheriff's Patrol car pulls up. Some guy I've never seen before gets out. I'm thinking, "dang, I don't know this guy, he looks pissed". (I used to know almost all of them from my Rural Fire Dept. days).
The K.V.E. officer says to him as he gets out of his patrol car, "Guess what. It is a sub-machine gun".
I thought, "oh great".
The deputy says, "really? what kind?"
I tell him about it being a MAC in .45acp. And it's a Powder Springs.
"Let's see that thing shoot"! He says.
I thought, "what the hell".
She hands me back my form 4. My wife is rolling her eyes at me.  
So I load a half stick, approach my firing line, aim at my back stop and BURRRRRRP!
They thougth that was so cool! We were having a great time. Then the deputy got out his LEO Only Bushmaster AR-15. Then of course, I had to show off my Pre-ban Eagle Arms AR at that point.
Any way, after the show and tell, they decided everything was fine and told us to have a good day. I told them my wife and I were done shooting for the day. Then the K.V.E. officer said, "you don't have to stop, you are legal". I just about fell over.
We did stop anyway at that point. It's just good to see that LEO's are willing to be polite and talk guns and not be like a S.W.A.T. Team with a gun owner.
Anyway, I know this is probably a boring story, but I had to tell SOMEBODY!
Have a great weekend, I think I'll shoot my MAC again today.
Colt, out.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi Art! I'm between Lewisburg and Dunmor.
(in between B.F.E. and no-where)LOL.
colt
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, Glock918(Art) let me know how it shoots, this LEO in NY is jealous!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Great story colt. Sometimes small town LEOs can be a pain in the ass, but sometimes they are great too.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:46:48 AM EDT
[#6]
But what if they had said you [b]weren't[/b] legal? Or that you were legal, but they wanted you to stop just the same?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
No need to fantasize about them being thugs, NH2112.

It sounds like they were good folks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't speak for NH2112, but I thought it was funny he was so excited they let him continue shooting in his own yard.  I think NH's point is why we are so excited when we meet a reasonable LEO who doesn't get upset, when we should EXPECT it?  I mean, I don't get excited when I get pulled over for going 35 in a 35 zone and the guy LETS ME GO!!  

Black Fox
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
colt, far from boring, it was very entertaining.  With all the bad gun news in the press these days and frequent reports of misguided LEOs, it's nice to hear a happy story once in a while.  :)

-kill-9
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Well that turned out good. As soon as I read LEO's pulled up and there was reported sub-machine gun firing, I thought you were in for some trouble. Nice to hear some people still have common sense.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Nice story Colt  

I am surprised the officer wanted to see you shoot it too.. Most officers I know don't trust the general public with firearms.. A good friend of 20 some years and a Houston Police officer wouldn't even consider shooting at a private range..  One time he unloaded an over and under 357 derringer I pulled from my counsel to show him while I was driving back from a road trip... ( I wasn't aware he emptied the weapon) when we were pulling up in my driveway, he handed me the shells and laughed.. Saying I shouldn't be driving with a weapon..  it's illegal...

I reached under my seat and pulled out my 9mm and said.. Jeez..  maybe you should have unloaded the 16 rounds in this one too.. He had a Sick look on his face...LOL  

It Pissed me off he did that..  he could have put my life in Jeopardy...    and yes this was before we had CCL in Texas...
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Art, yes to both. Close to Malone, a stone's throw from Muhlenburg, Co. line but live on the Logan side.

and if you are thinking of Mrs. "H", the K.V.E. officer, then that was her. she's a nice lady. have dealt with her before.

Good to see close to home type folks in here.
Keep in touch.
colt
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#14]
[i]machinegun[/i]![:)]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Great story COLT.  MOST LEOs are just like you and me.  They have a job to do just like the rest of us.  I have had many shoots with the local police dept and they are gun nuts just like us.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Typically they will never say which neighbor ratted you out. So what I do is watch where the cop cars go as they drive away. They typically go to the complaints house and report to them that all is well and legal. Now you are known to do such things chances are you could get away with anything.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Black Fox said exactly what was on my mind when I replied. If I'm breaking the law, I expect the cop to inform me that I was breaking the law and then either arrest me or let me go with a warning. I don't need to be told that I'm legal when I'm [b]not[/b] breaking the law. I think that anyone who's gone through the paperwork hassle and expense of buying Class III firearms is more likely to know what's legal and what isn't legal WRT those firearms than most cops are, and don't [b]need[/b] that cop to tell them what they already know.

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Colt - what planet do you live on? Can I move there too. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#20]
In California you would have been shot while the firearm was still on the truck bed....and all the Leos would be hailed as heros........then a new gun law would be passed.

sigh[:(]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a similar experience in Louisville.  Three of us were playing w/ our AR-15s on 20 acres in a populated area of Jefferson County.  Two cops drive up and yell out "cease fire."  I'm an atty, and I knew we were legal, but my cornhole still puckered.  They sd they had received a call, etc., and wanted to make sure we weren't a group of kids shooting into the air or something.  They saw the backstop, the toys, etc., and decided we were ok.  Told us to keep at it.  Even tho we were legit, I know they could have given us a rough time had they wanted to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow, you guys in KY are so lucky.  Trying doing that in Kalifornia.  SWAT will show up, confiscate my gun and arrest me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool story
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice story, Colt. Same applies here, Vermont. Nice to see other states (at least one) follows suit. I wish we could hear more of these type of stories!

"Yesterday in the mountains, a buddy of mine and I iced down a 12 pack....Oh, but that is another story!"
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I dunno man. That one guy working for the feds was nice to Randy Weaver for over a year and the rest is history.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In California you would have been shot while the firearm was still on the truck bed....and all the Leos would be hailed as heros........then a new gun law would be passed.

Yeap you hit that one right on the head!

Great story man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top