Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2002 10:01:08 PM EDT
My dad wants me to try out since they are looking for 900 new special agents. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My dad wants me to try out since they are looking for 900 new special agents. What do you guys think?
View Quote

If you want a copy, I've got their gun drills and qualification exams.

Edited to add: I agree with jtw2 below.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Until they purge and prosecute the murderers from thier ranks I would personaly be ashamed to be associated with the FBI.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you should go for it if it's something YOU want to do. Don't do it because your dad thinks you should. I would think it would be an interesting job. On the other hand, the job probably entails a lot of boring, unflattering tasks also. Maybe one of the FED's reading this post can e-mail you and tell you about the job. They are probably already doing a background check on you [}:D]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Done ANY drugs in the past [b]10 years???[/b]

If so, it's an immediate disqualification.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:54:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's a secure job and it's going to pay off your bills [b]AND MOST IMPORTANT[/b] it's something that you have an interest in doing than go for it. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I also strongly recommend Chris Whitcomb's book.  It's a fairly unflinching look at life in the FBI and on HRT.  It explains a bit about how things got so screwed up at Ruby Ridge and Waco.  It doesn't absolve those truly responsible for what happened, nor does it absolve Lon Horuchi for his killing of Randy Weaver's wife, but it provides a good snapshot of the mindset of the HRT operator, the conditions they work under, the selection process, training, esprit, etc.  

Whitcomb is still an active agent with the FBI so he can't make any outright statements or attributions of blame for what happened...but there's a lot written in between the lines.  

The minimum age for acceptance as a Special Agent is 23.  There is a requirement for a minimum of three years working experience in the real world.  Military experience may be helpful, but advanced degrees in law, accounting and business are strong recommendations as well.

the background check the FBI puts you through is exhaustive.  Thanks to Clinton's administration, the casual drug use disquals were loosened a touch, but if you were ever arrested for such things, your done.  Lying or trying to hide info from the FBI is a thorough waste of time and energy...they will dig it up and deception is pretty much an automatic disqualifier.

Psychological make up is also important.  The FBI wants stable, confident individuals with patience and the ability to work well under pressure.  Teamwork is critical.  Obviously those are ideals and some odd birds slip through.

I wish I had given it a try when I was in the age range, but at that time I lacked the confidence I would have needed anyhow. Give it a try.

As far as the guys who turned Ruby Ridge and Waco into such disasters are concerned, politics always interfere with any organization larger than about 5 people.  In large orgs where significant power is exerted, the politics get pretty bad, be it a corporation or a government agency. You can't avoid it.  All you can do is work to do the job right and avoid the political entanglements.  95% of the time, your operations will go off properly without any politically induced tragedies.  Most of your tragedies will be the normal type resulting from unforseen circumstances, dumb luck, innocent mistakes, etc.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:23:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing wrong wiht the FBI.  If you don't mind associating with Federal Bumfuck Idiots that kill innocent people and routinely break the law.  Oh yeah, keep in mind this organization was started by a demented cross-dresser.

On the other hand, maybe you can help to change it.  Go for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#9]
The FBI looks for college graduates with:

* a foreign language
* a skill: CPA, lawyer, etc.

You'll have to pass a lifestyle polygraph and background investigation. Be prepared to have your belief in the Second Amendment as an individual right questioned as a radical idea.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Do it if YOU want it, and "be the best that you can be"... to steal a phrase.  There are assholes in every profession, just don't be one.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#11]
[left]Go for it! I should have my B.A. in a year and i'm definitely going to apply if they're still hiring. Guess that means I have a year to work on my Body Mass Index[BD][/left]  
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
* a foreign language
View Quote
Ditto! the quickest way to get into the FBI is to be a CPA or an attorney! so hit the books!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Despite what some others here may say, being an LEO is a noble profession.  If I had my Bachelor's Degree I would have already applied to both the FBI and CIA.  So I say go for it!  I think that you would find it very rewarding.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You'll have to pass a lifestyle polygraph and background investigation. Be prepared to have your belief in the Second Amendment as an individual right questioned as a radical idea.
View Quote

That's not been my experience. The FBI agents I know all have pro Second Amendment crap all over their desks and are generally a bunch of gun-nuts. They make me look tame (of course, they have sufficiently large salaries to support their habits). And not to categorize anyone, but as a group, I know more FBI agents with privately-owned full auto weapons than any other group (again they have they money to support their habits). Their may be tree-hugging commies on the Admin side because of 8 years of left-wing moronics out of Washington, but the grunts are more like members of this board (except the foaming-at-the-mouth tinfoil hat brigade).
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's not been my experience. The FBI agents I know all have pro Second Amendment crap all over their desks and are generally a bunch of gun-nuts. They make me look tame (of course, they have sufficiently large salaries to support their habits). And not to categorize anyone, but as a group, I know more FBI agents with privately-owned full auto weapons than any other group (again they have they money to support their habits). Their may be tree-hugging commies on the Admin side because of 8 years of left-wing moronics out of Washington, but the grunts are more like members of this board (except the foaming-at-the-mouth tinfoil hat brigade).
View Quote

Where do you think the admin types come from? To be an ASAC or SAC you have to be approved by the political apparat that runs the show. Do you think your full-auto totin', NRA desk sticker havin' buddies are going to end up SAC of their field office? I doubt it.

Anyway, I don't see any paradox in an anti-Second Amendment organization letting the troops have what weapons they want. Don't forget, CA [b]ass[/b]emblyman Don Perata has a CA CCW license and US Senator Dianne Feinstein used to. RosieO applied for licenses for her security guys to carry concealed. It's all about what class of people you belong to, brudda.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
* a foreign language
View Quote
Ditto! the quickest way to get into the FBI is to be a CPA or an attorney! so hit the books!
View Quote

I tried a few years ago. While most of the people they hire are police, CPAs, and lawyers, they will take people with other degrees.  I believe the drug use policy was no pot in the last 3 years and not more than 10 time.  Other drugs not in the last 5 years and not more than 3 times. The people I meet during the application and screening process where friendly and seemed like fairly decent folks.  Just go to the local field office and ask for an application.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#17]
"Thank you Sir! May I have another?!"
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls here, but in an age where city PDs are giving psychological tests asking about how many guns you own and when people like Larry Potts and Lon Horiuchi are still getting FBI salaries, it's not an unreasonable thing to consider. Nuff said.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong wiht the FBI.  If you don't mind associating with Federal Bumfuck Idiots that kill innocent people and routinely break the law.  Oh yeah, keep in mind this organization was started by a demented cross-dresser.
View Quote

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please try to get your facts straight.  The Bureau of Investigation was created by Attorney General Charles Bonaparte (nephew of the French emperor) in 1908.  Hoover didn't take the helm until 1924.

[Edited to correct spelling.]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#20]
freedom-fighter,

Are you willing to use your FBI power to uphold the Constitution?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Working for the federal government:

Now there's something to strive for !!!

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Numrod, let me rephrase my post...

The modern incarnation of the FBI was largely the work of one man, J. Edgar Hoover, who is now widely known for his personal sexual bizarreness and official disregard of civil rights when these conflicted with his own purposes.  Under Hoover the angency grew to become a powerful, bloated government organ with many famous escapades to its credit, including the incidents at Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Does this revised version meet with your approval?

Oh yes... It did not officially become the "Bureau of Investigation" until 1909: "Attorney General George Wickersham, Bonaparte's successor, named the force the Bureau of Investigation on March 16, 1909. At that time, the title of Chief Examiner was changed to Chief of the Bureau of Investigation."
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#23]
And the Miami shootout...  they're not all JBTs.

[url]http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs7.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And the Miami shootout...  they're not all JBTs.
View Quote

While I agree that they're not all JBTs, as long as they harbor within their ranks those like the brave Maryland SA who shot that kid in the face with an M4, can we afford to assume that they're the good guys?

As I said, Larry Potts and Lon Horiuchi are still in good standing over there. Anybody who green-lighted shooting unarmed Americans would have gotten my badge or the back of my hand, one or both.

***Edited to add: My father, who is a Life Endowment NRA member and PA CCL holder, deals with a few FBI SAs all the time, and tells me they're great guys. But when next I meet up with an SA, can I count on him being one of the "great guys?"
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#26]
[b]FBI Federal Bureau of Incinerators[/b]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#27]
why would you want to be a JBT??
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I just want to reiterate what another member said, its not enough just to have a bachelor's degree - you have to have at least 3 years work experience in the field of your degree.  

I've looked into applying and I'm not eligeable because I only had 2 years work experience after I got laid off my engineering job.  Not enough to qualify.  

And as far as pot is concerned, you can't have done it more than 15 times (though who would bother keeping count if in that range?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top