Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2002 8:51:59 PM EDT
A friend of mine has just gotten back from a  hog hunt and has offered to give me some of the meat.

This will be the first time I will have barbecued hog and I would like some advise on how to prepare and cook it.

So if you experienced hog barbequers could be so kind as to share a few of your favorite recipes and hog barbecuing techniques, I would be grateful.

I don't know if it matters but I will be using a gas grill, so should I get wood chips, if so what kind are the best?.

Thanks all. Am-O-Tramp  
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Well the Shanks I would smoke, the Ribs are probably best smoked or grilled.  The tenderloin is good smoked, but Fantastic Grilled.  

If you smoke, Use Hickory or Pecan, or a Fruit wood.
If you Grill you can also use Mesquite, which is an excellent grilling wood.
Some parts like the fat are best smoked or fryed. And that is great in Beans.  

If you can find yourself some POKE (which you probably can't) There aint nothin better then Fried POKE, Beans, and Fried Tators and Corn Bread. Uh what else...  

Thats good enough.

AmmoTramp, your state is your business, but If you livein the midwest somewhere then you are in Pecan and Hickory country.  Cooking with Woods are the best. If there is anyway that you can find a way to NOT use gas It will make a world of difference.

Pork Chops are pretty good with Just salt and Pepper but some people like Lemon Pepper. There are probably a bunch of recipes.

My Advice is given with 14 Years of Being a Producer of BBQ's.
Ben
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Paging Dr. TheRedGoat Paging Dr. TheRedGoat Fellow member in need of assistance for wild hog recipies!! LOL!!

Youz guys got any good pork chorizo recipies?
Thanks...

-T.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Benjamin0001

Thanks Ben, I will print your info out and  start looking for wood tomorrow.

Thanks Am-O-Tramp
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
As for ribs, I just polished off a big (whole side) batch yesterday morning.

I'm sure there are ways of making them "better", but here's what I do - no grill involved - but finishing with a grill instead of the oven or crock-pot, especially with mesquite or hickory smoke, would be great.

1. Cut them into strips of 1's or 2's.  Better to half the rack perpendicular to the ribs if it's a larger hog - ribs will be too long to fit on a standard plate.

2. Boil the ribs in a big assed pot - a couple of minutes will do.

3. I rub them down with Adolph's, celery salt, cayene, and oregano.

4. Cook em in a crock-pot or oven.  If you use an oven, I'd cover them - like in a turkey pan, or use foil - try 300 deg for 30 min and see how they're doing - leave em cooking if needed.

5. EAT THEM AND SMILE!  Sauce is optional.

GREAT!!!!!!!

BTW - **EASY** to make your own ham.  Used Morton's (or another brand) curing salts - buy it at the grocery store.

Tate

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top