Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2002 7:26:11 PM EDT
David Drake, Jerry Pournelle, S.M. Stirling, Eric Flint, etc.?

My absolute favorite is Drake/Stirling's [i][u]The General[/i][/u] series.  Flint's [i][u]1632[/u][/i] is really fun.  There are a bunch more - John Steakly's [i][u]Armor[/i][/u], Saberhagen's Berzerker books, Keith Laumer's Bolo stories, Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books....(damn, but I love reading anything she writes)
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Try John Ringo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Try John Ringo.
View Quote

Hey when I first saw this thread that is who I thought of.

I just read my first book by him last week..

GUST FRONT

WOW!!!

What a great read!

I mean it...one of those books you cannot put down.

What other books has he written??  Are they as good?

It reminded me alot of Footfall.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone read the WWIII series? I forgot the author's name, I read it about 4-6 years ago, it's really good, and today seems kinds prophetic in ways. At any rate that is a good series, but one of the best I have ever read is "Starship Troopers" the book is NOTHING like the movie, and is one of the most influential books I have ever read. Again, I have forgotten the author's name. Stupid me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#8]
"Bolo" by Keith Laumer has always been a favorite of mine.  Tells the story of the Dinochrome Brigade (self aware monstrous tanks).

Flints 1632 is available free for download here:

[url]http://www.baen.com/library/[/url]

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Heinlein's Starship Troopers and John Steakley's Armor should be at the top of your reading list for good action-oriented military science fiction. Also, look for The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It was written around 1972, so it is kind of dated now (the Forever War begins in 1997 or so). Basically, it follows a young man as he fights for over a thousand years against an alien race. (Time dilation affects the soldiers as they travel across the galaxy.) Also, look for the series "Bill, the Galactic Hero" by HArry Harrison if you want something more tongue in cheek...

Scott

P.S. Do you apes want to live forever?

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the genre, with Pournelle's early Falkenberg stuff being the best IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I liked "The Helmsman" series by Bill Baldwin.
and
The "COBRA" and The Blackcollar" series by Tim Zahn

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Try John Ringo.
View Quote
Just finished [i][u]Gust Front[/i][/u].  I read [i][u]A Hymn Before Battle[/i][/u] a while back.  I understand that [i][u]When the Devil Dances[/i][/u] is more sober and perhaps not quite as good a read, but I still plan to get it and the books he wrote with David Weber.

Speaking of Weber - I tried, but I could never get into the Honor Harrington series.  I don't know, [i]too[/i] much space opera?

I also recommend Robert Frezza's [i][u]Fire in a Faraway Place[/i][/u] - sequel to [i][u]A Small Colonial War[/i][/u] which was his first novel (and it shows, but is still readable.)  [i][u]Fire[/u][/i] stands alone well, though.

Stirling's Nantucket trilogy kicks ass.

If you like fantasy at all, read Elizabeth Moon's [i][u]The Deed of Paksennarion[/i][/u].  Good mideval stuff.  Middle part is a bit predictable, but overall excellence.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
My all time favorite, Is one of David Drakes lesser known early novels called "The Forlorn Hope". Out of print and somewhat hard to find.

I'm also a Huge Fan of Alternate History novels like Harry Turledove's "How Few Remain" series, or S.M. Sterlings Drakas series (Marching Thru Georgia, Under the Yoke, The Stone Dogs, Or the free form short Stories in Drakas.)

I want a Holbars!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I almost forgot...

The Janesaries series....GREAT READ all three books ...

Also the Starfollowers of Coramonde.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like the genre, with Pournelle's early Falkenberg stuff being the best IMHO.
View Quote

This is a fact.
The Faulkenberg books are militarily better than any SciFi I've read.
Sound tactics.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try John Ringo.
View Quote
Just finished [i][u]Gust Front[/i][/u].  I read [i][u]A Hymn Before Battle[/i][/u] a while back.  I understand that [i][u]When the Devil Dances[/i][/u] is more sober and perhaps not quite as good a read, but I still plan to get it and the books he wrote with David Weber.
View Quote

When the [i][u]Devil Dances[/i][/u]  is good, but it only half a book. It sets up a big conflict, and then leaves it hanging. The next one, [i][u]Hell's Fair, [/i][/u]  isn't due until next year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I almost forgot...

The Janesaries series....GREAT READ all three books ...

Also the Starfollowers of Coramonde.
View Quote
Oh hell yes!  The Janessaries trilogy was outstanding!  And there should have been a fourth book.  I wanted to see how they kicked the Shalnuksis (sp?) little asses.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to read some of David Drake's books, until he really began going off the deep end.  All them savage mercenaries, grinning savage grins, flexing their savagely scarred biceps, and wading through savages' blood.  Woohoo.  Every fourth statement they made seemed to be completely irrational, having nothing to do with the dialogue that had been going on up to that point.

Pournelle's "There Will Be War" anthologies had some good short stories by little-known writers, but it looks like he ran out of steam.

Weber's (non-Harrington) novels [u]Insurrection[/u], [u]In Death Ground[/u], and [u]Crusade[/u] are pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#19]
The Mote in God's Eye and The Gripping Hand are pretty good too......

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top