Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2002 5:59:09 PM EDT
Why does walmart ask whether or not your ammo purchase is for a handgun? They told me that it wasn't an age issue (which is what I assumed it would be).

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
They ask me rifle or handgun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
At wally world you have to be 21 to buy HG ammo, but only 18 to buy rifle ammo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
markm is right it is an age issue. All gun stores by law are supposed to ask.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Why don't they ask for ID if it is an age issue?

They ask rifle or handgun when i buy .22lr.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
From my experiences they base it on the calibur of ammo you're buying.

If you get 30-30 they figure it's for a long gun, but if you're buying 9mm they figure it's for a pistol even if you've got an UZI strapped to your back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Say it is for a sub-machinegun.  Or Machinegun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I was buying 550*5 .22 rounds. The guy asked "is that for a handgun"? I said, no I like to throw them in the campfire. They make a neat sound.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to work at a gun store and our policy was if it could be used in a handgun, even if it was a rifle caliber that had a handgun made that would shoot it we did not sell it to a minor. The reason is liability the store wanted to cover its ass and was very anal in enforcing the law, as I am sure wallmart is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
OT but anything i can not buy from Dan's Ammo i buy from my local FFL to support him. just my .02
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Never bothered me, but having slight grey hair, they must figure I'm old enough.
I remember when the store used to "log" your ammo purchase, had to show ID.

I do like the "it's for a machine gun" line. May try that before the Indiana State Submachine
Gun Shoot in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#12]
When they ask me rifle or handgun at Wal-Mart I always say "Machinegun."

It really gets the cashier going.  One even went as far as to call a supervisor.  I let them and then explained to the cashier that it will be used in a machinegun.  The supervisor looked at me funny and said that's okay and told the cashier to approve the sale.

I just like messing with them...heck, I am still waiting on the BATF to get the paperwork done on my MG.

medcop

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW, our Wal-Mart is selling Winchester 100 packs for $10.97. Pretty good price, but it seems to me to be Sellier & Bellot loaded.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#14]
WALMART RULES !!!  100 rounds of 9MM for $11 ...they sell out of these "economy packs " quick so ya gotta keep a look-out.('My' Wallyworld only gets 12 of the 100 packs at a time and they don't stay on the shelf for long).Give them any business you can since they are helping to preserve our Rights. God Bless Walmart
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Well here in NY you have to have a pistol permit to buy pistol ammo.  So basically a pistol permit becomes a FOID card.

Walmart buys ammo so cheap they can beat out all other suppliers.  I go to walmart and buy ammo for less than I can from my regular wholesalers.  So when wally'world has a sale on 30-06, thats when I stock up the store.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well here in NY you have to have a pistol permit to buy pistol ammo.  So basically a pistol permit becomes a FOID card.

Walmart buys ammo so cheap they can beat out all other suppliers.  I go to walmart and buy ammo for less than I can from my regular wholesalers.  So when wally'world has a sale on 30-06, thats when I stock up the store.  
View Quote

I buy one box of 7mm rem mag from wal mart per month.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#17]
It was a real pain in the ass getting 9mm for my 9mm Carbine. I am 19 and the Wal-Mart clerks instinctively hit Handgun w/o even asking. I then have to drum into their heads that there are 9mm Rifles. One time, the clerk asked me what 9mm rifles there are because she'd never heard of them. So, I told her: Hi-Point M995C (What I had), 9mm ARs, Uzi Carbine (to which recoiled), etc...I loved the fact she recoiled at the Word UZI. I almost felt like screming UZI, UZI, UZI just to see her face. But, I figured somebody'd freak and call the SWAT Team.

What is really weird is that the Wal-Mart on McNab and Rock Island says 21 for all guns and ammo. I know some cities have illegal (illegal per state preemption) ordnances raising the age to buy to 21. But the stupid thing is that it just costs that city money because I take my ammo. purchases to Coconut Creek where 18 is still the rule of thumb for longgun ammo. I still get my ammo. and the city loses the money I would have spent there instead.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I like to go to wal mart, buy a bunch of ammo, and after i have paid i ask the cashier where the nearest school zone is.

HA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]
i live in the outer suburbs and the 9mm value packs are always sold out. so i started going to the "gucci" wal-mart in the swanky downtown area by my work. they ALWAYS have the stuff. they have a tiny sporting goods section and all the ammo is stored behind the counter. i guess none of the dunwoody/buckhead soccer mom types stock up on 9mm huh  HAHAHA
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like to go to wal mart, buy a bunch of ammo, and after i have paid i ask the cashier where the nearest school zone is.

HA.
View Quote

That sounds like a good way to earn your self a "conspiracy" charge.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#21]
conspiracy to do What, exactly?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#22]
After I get ammo at Wally world I usually ask the clerk where the ski mask section is. Sometimes they actually crack a smile.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
conspiracy to do What, exactly?
View Quote

A school shooting. Can't you see it, the evidence is all there.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Say it is for a sub-machinegun.  Or Machinegun.
View Quote
yeah i love doing that they always are like AHH what button do i hit now!

cuz if its for a handgun they hit somekey and it then displays is the purchaser 21 or over?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top