Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2002 1:42:13 PM EDT
CRAWFORD, Texas  — Urged by Saudi Arabia to temper support for Israel, President Bush said Friday his message to the Arab world is unequivocal: "We will not allow Israel to be crushed."

On the same day that Israeli troops re-entered a Palestinian town in the West Bank and fired upon protesters in Ramallah, Bush bluntly told Israel, "It's now time to quit it altogether."

Bush spoke to reporters on the morning after his extraordinary five-hour inaugural meeting with Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, in which the president heard Arab criticism of his handling of the Israeli-Palestinian crisis.

"I told the crown prince that we've got a unique relationship with Israel and that one thing that the world can count on is that we will not allow Israel to be crushed," Bush said.

"The crown prince understands my foreign policy. It's important that we speak with clarity and I will continue to do so."

"I'm convinced that the stronger our personal bond is, the more likely it is relations between our (countries) will be strong," Bush said after the two toured his ranch and dined on pecan-encrusted smoked beef tenderloin.

The Saudi leader "made it clear ... that they will not use oil as a weapon and I appreciate that, respect that and expect that to be the case," Bush said.

A senior administration official said Bush raised concerns about anti

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,51251,00.html[/url]

I HAVE CUT A BUNCH SO PLEASE READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, those words are pretty strong.  This is a national News ORG so anticipate it being played the world over.  Where does that leave us?
If Israel halts immediately then this is what I can see happening.

My Guess is : A seize fire is put into place , peace is brokered, or at least started. If the Palestinians break that piece, they are going to get shit canned in a very big way.

ON THE OTHER HAND THE MIDDLE EASTERN NATIONS OF OR CERTAIN PERCENTAGES OF THEIR POPULATIONS WILL SAY THAT BUSH IS THE DEVIL AGAIN. WHICH IS WHAT THEY ALREADY SAID

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
"We will not allow Israel to be crushed"

and

"Hey, Israel, stop defending yourself."

[?]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
[usa]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Nothing has changed.  The leaders got to rattle sabers, posture, then kiss each others ass.  It's good for politics (and the economy), but otherwise nothing has changed.

Edited because I pressed the wrong button.... Thank goodness I'm not sitting in a position of real power eh?
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps not, But I am leaning the other way I think yesterdays visit will be deemed as significant. I think it is going to increase the level of animosity in Saudi arabia as her people become even more angry at their rulling party.  I think some very interesting things may play out because of this.

There is probably no way to even stop what is going to happen.

BEn
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
just think if we wern't saudi arabia's bitch when it comes to oil, we could have a pres tell all of opec to go f**k off. and if you f**k with israel, we'll turn your land into a glass paved parking lot
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#7]
MSNBC WROTE:

CRAWFORD, Texas, April 26 —  Emerging from a five-hour meeting with Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Abdullah, President Bush said Thursday that the two leaders had spent most of the time talking about how to “defuse the current situation” in the Mideast and “get back to the path to peace.” In a bow to Arab anger over Israel’s military operation in the Palestinian areas of the West Bank, Bush said Israel must withdraw and find a nonviolent resolution to current standoffs in Bethlehem and Ramallah
View Quote

They don't even mention the other side of what Bush said. That is strange indeed.  In fact they are portraying the whole thing as a defeat to bush.  

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top