Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2002 12:56:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish we'd had those in the Old Corps. [BD]

Are they Gore-tex lined or otherwise enhanced for high speed, low drag operations?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
They say the boots will replace jungle boots and desert boots. I don't think they will be replacing the plain old combat boot.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The only thing unique to the Marines in this is the burnt emblem. They are the desert Belleville just like the black ones they issue to them. I'm in the Air Force and these are the same ones we have issued. Sorry jarheads, these aren't unique to your new cammies!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know how many of you guys were around for this:

Way back in the late 70's, the Army decided that its soldiers spent too much time shining boots, and developed a "rough out" boot similar to what you see in the pic that JohnM provided.
I think it lasted about a week.  Which brings me to another point:

I wonder when the Army is going to stop and realize that no one likes the issue boot that's been issued for the last 15 years or so.  

All my soldiers wear either Danners, Matterhorns, and Herman Survivors in the winter, and jungles (excuse me - hot weather boots) in the warmer months.    

The only soldiers that wear them are trainees, or those die-hards (who don't resole them) that just have to bitch about replacing the heel every time it falls off.

I think the "newer" Marine Corps boot (manufactured by the same company that makes Matterhorns, I believe) is a step in the right direction.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Betcha' 10 bucks their made in china.

vmax84
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Betcha' 10 bucks their made in china.

vmax84
View Quote

Make the check out to "P389", please

[url]http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/public/public_5.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.wellco.com/html/dms_boots.html[/url]

[url]http://www.altama.com/[/url]

Links are to three USGI boot suppliers.  There are more.  Perhaps others will supply links.

Do you need my address for the check?

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The more things change the more they remain the same.  My dad who was in the Army in the early 50s once told me about their boots.  Brown rough out leather. He also said they had to burn off the fuzz and shine them anyway.  For me it dates back to the Persian Gulf.  Desert Boots.

Marty
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as they fit well and work well, I'd wear 'em.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Just to chime in...

Got a pair of Wellco deluxe combat boots the other day.  Very comfortable, the lace lock works great to keep the lower laces tight, and the appear to be made very well.  Very light for a combat boot too.

Tate
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it just me, or is a vent on a desert boot stupid as hell. Jungle boot, sure: you want the water to run out. But why would you put a vent on a desert boot? It will let sand in and give guys blisters.

First thing I'd do after getting issued a pair of these is Shoe-Goo those vents.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Hope they function better than they look.
They resemble a cross between Doc Martens and basketball shoes on steroids.

Long as the jarheads are happy with em though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#14]
first no ironing and starching, now no shining...wtf are these recruits going to do with all this free time.  This is a shitbird's dream...   At least now there will be no excuse for having a ratfucked uniform...
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#15]
BTW, the Corps has a HUGE backstock of the older boots, and these won't be the only boots in use for at least 1 year.  There are just too many older pairs sitting in supply warehouses...get those pre-ban boots while you can!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I hated the "speedlace" boots I was issued in 1989.

These new boots look like an improvement. Although the Matterhorns we got from DRMO are nice too. just really hot!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad who was in the Army in the early 50s once told me about their boots. Brown rough out leather. He also said they had to burn off the fuzz and shine them anyway.
View Quote

[;)]  I never saw the rough-side out boots, but the above is such a perfect caricature
of the US Army.  Burn it off and shine it anyway!z
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My dad who was in the Army in the early 50s once told me about their boots. Brown rough out leather. He also said they had to burn off the fuzz and shine them anyway.
View Quote

[;)]  I never saw the rough-side out boots, but the above is such a perfect caricature
of the US Army.  Burn it off and shine it anyway!z
View Quote

i heard that story too, but i thought it was BS, guess it wasn't.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I think they're great.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw a girl wearing some boots like that with white sox rolled down to the top and a pair of tight white shorts, and a halter top.

She looked HOT!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like K-Mart just got a juicy boot contract. [:D]

Seriously, some specialization is good.  You wouldn't want to try to use the same clothing in Egypt as in Greenland, for example.  Snipers don't shoot with MBRs.  Why not have 2 or 3 types of boots for varying situations?
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 5:24:57 AM EDT
[#23]
This is a shitbird's dream...
View Quote

LMAO!!  I haven't heard the word "Shitbird" in a couple of years!  Brought back some funny memories.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#24]
The boot will be avialable for mass issue/purchase in June.  They are a slightly darker shade than the Air Force desert flight boot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#25]
they look different to me. my issue desert boots are nothing more than brown altama jungles. and my brother in the AF has brown belleville jungles with smooth flightline soles. these boots look to me like brown ICBs (matterhorns) by the way. that "no iron" thing wont last. some asshole trying to look better than hie peers or some luddite DI will do it then a couple more guys will do it and within a year it will be institutionalized. just like how the Alice LBE is called an "H-harness" its not an "H harness", its a "Y harness"...but its still called that. the new commandant also said no more J.O.B. inspections but they're still going on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#26]
nothing new! I was in the suck from '77 to '86, we were promised brown side out boots from boot camp on ... saw them a couple of times but never had any. Every time a new Command structure is developed the rules change,,, then they change back,,, then they change again..... nothing changes except the names!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#27]
This design tells me, the gov expects to be  fighting in desert terrrain, for quite a while.

Waterdog
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:53:59 AM EDT
[#28]
The brown rough out boots came about prior 9-11.  The study on the replacement for the Jungle boot back in 99 had  brown boots and tan boots as some of the contenders. But prior to the final decision, the commandant wanted a new boot, along with cammies.  The choice of dark tan had to do with blending better than black or sand colored tan.  

I have both the new rough out Marine ICB and the Belleville 770 TLS (Air Force desert flight boot), Belleville makes the current ICBs.  The are basically the same boot, but the Marine Boot is darker and has a Marine Corps emblem on them.  The pictured boot is the temperate/jungle version without Gore-Tex and with drain vents.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#30]
JOB is a Junk on the Bunk.  It is when you lay out all your gear, traditionally on your rack, but can be about anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
JOB is a Junk on the Bunk.  It is when you lay out all your gear, traditionally on your rack, but can be about anywhere.
View Quote

What a crock that was!..I would have to goto clothing and sales buy a whole new set of T.A. 50 to do the lay out...hide all the old Issue crap in a C-bag then when you get ready to move to a new station. the "richard" head's would not take back the stuff they issued you in the first place...It is nothing more than a scam for the military to keep New equip in then inventory at the soldiers expence!...other than that I loved the ARMY...BTW the boots are o.k. I guess, like someone already said..till another guy gets in to change things again...

Ken
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#32]
R-32
I agree army CIF is a scam.  Since I used my own deuce gear when I was stationed on an army base, I thought it would be no problem to do my turn in.  Was I ever wrong, unused gear was dirty in the eyes of same people who issued it to me that way.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
the new commandant also said no more J.O.B. inspections but they're still going on.
View Quote

You mean to tell me that you set out all your basic 782 gear, rifle, iron your t-shirts into perfect squares,ip magazine pouches (or lbv) wash out magazines with soap and water, have all your unifroms evenly spaced in a walllocker, ect.??
If so, your IG team is WRONG, as is your command.
And the "no JOB" inspection is not "new". It been going on for about 4 or 5 years.
And the reason for it was because of the expense of buying things like underwear, socks, t-shirts, ect. and the time that prepping for an full blown IG.
MAG-14 just had an IG, and it was a no shit 72 hour notice inspection. The IG team said you are getting inspected in 72 hours, and we want the names for personel inspection, sea bag gear inspection, and PFT.
72 hours later, the inspection started.
And there was NO JOB.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#34]
this reminds me of my time in the service... I always wondered why they even spend money on dress uniforms... ok, maybe a desk jockey or related might have a need for 'em, but combat arms?  Why?  sure they look [s]pretty[/s] er, Good [rolleyes] but IIRC, I may have worn mine for inspection 1/yr. Spend the money on crap that actually functions appropriately for the mission.

Danners, jungle boots and Herman Survivors were what I wore and I still have 'em  [:)]

Give the troops good stuff, not pretty worthless cr@p. THEN give them GOOD training, and make sure it is related to their job!

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#35]
No matter what, I will always love my "CATS". (Caterpiller boots) ;-)
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Huh?!?!? That would be tough to spit shine.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I dont mind wearing them with jeans but think color doesn't match with the Woodland camo BDU.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I have three types of deserts, issue crap ones, Bellvilles and some shit I got issued in the desert when some luggage handler carted my luggage off for two weeks.  Other than a silly logo they look like the same old crap.

Does the logo make you tougher?  Maybe it will be useful for sorting out the parts if a bunch of Marines and Army grunts get blown up.

No shine boots still need brushed and farted with, trust me, the nice D.I.'s will find you something to do with all that spare time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top