Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2002 12:29:06 PM EDT
It is well known that our moon is on a expanding orbit and will one day escape the Earth, in a few Billion years. This will dramitically alter the situation on Earth...

No more tides
Altered weather patterns
Dark nights
Etc.

Assuming we are still here, how bad do you think it will be? What is the worst that could happen?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No I don't think it will be bad. Its happening ever so slowly. A billion years is plenty of time for earth's life forms to adapt to the new environment.

Many of today's life forms will probably perish, maybe even the Maryland Blue Crab, which I love to eat...yum...
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
in a billion years, we will have the scientific ability to keep the moon here.

keving67
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Instead of our wives/girlfriends only having their womanly cycles at certain phases of the moon, they will have it constantly. And subsequently have PMS 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Oh yeah, and no more Wherewolves.

[BD]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not looking forward to that happening at all. I think I will find a hole in the ground and wait it out.

Ben

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Dancing naked around a bonfire just won't be the same without a full moon.

We'll still have a solstice or two though [:D]

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The calculated life expectancy of the sun (IIRC) is about another 2.5 billion years.  I think the Earth will be consumed by the death of the sun before the moon escapes our orbit.  Either way, I'll be long gone.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
So....

Will we still be able to moon?

[moon]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
"Research by Jacques Laskar and colleagues at the Bureau des Longitudes in Paris shows that the Moon's considerable gravity acts as a stabilizing anchor on Earth. Without the Moon, subtle gravitational effects from the other planets (mainly Jupiter) over millions of years would play havoc with the tilt of Earth's spin axis. Instead of the current 23.5-degree tilt, wich gives us our moderate seasonal variation and wich varies by only 2.6 degrees over a 41,000-year period, the axial tilt would fluctuate chaotically between 0 and 85 degrees over millions of years. Earth's climate would experience eons of wild seasonal variation, followed by periods with none at all. Such unstable environmental conditions would probably lead to either a runaway greenhouse effect, which heats Venus' surface to a hellish 450 degrees Celsius, or runaway glaciation, which would plunge Earth into a permanent ice age."

Sounds like the moon is pretty useful... but hopefully in a billion years we'll either
a) not be around (second coming, exodus)
or
b) be able to push the moon back into orbit (which would require tremendous amounts of energy).

Viper Out
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]
In ten years the population of the US will be 310 million people, the planet will have 7 billion.

In fifty years humans will be living on the moon in modular housing pods developed for deep-sea research centers.

In 100 years 20% of humans will be living either in space, on the moon, or on Mars.

In 200 years nearly 50% of humans will be residents of some place other than earth.

In six years some asshole terrorist or rogue state is gonna start WW3 and everyone will die a nuclear death.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Uh, actually, I think that Luna has an eccentric orbit. It ever so slowly moves away from us, then swings back. Anyhoo, we will be long gone in a billion years, so why worry about another wild tinfoil hat theory?

Scott

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Post from DoubleFeed -
We could just ask Captain Picard to help us out.
View Quote

Sorry, [b]DoubleFeed[/b], but I don't think we can expect much from a future civilization that apparently is unable to...

[size=3]cure friggin' male pattern baldness![/size=3]

Sorry, for the outburst, it's just that I get so upset when I think about it!

Eric The(I'mBetterNow)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Uh, actually, I think that Luna has an eccentric orbit.
View Quote

"Why is the Moon's orbit expanding?

Because the Moon produces tides on the Earth, and these tides cause water and rock to move about on the surface of the Earth. This dissipates energy, and because the total angular momentum of the Moon in its orbit must be conserved despite the energy loss, the Moon must slowly drift away from the earth causing the orbit to expand over time. 1 billion years ago, the Moon was much closer and took less than 20 days to orbit the Earth. The Earth 'day' was about 18 hours long."
[url]http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/a10838.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#16]
During the 50's we had a plan to detonate a huge nuke on the day side of the moon. Something like a 50 megaton fusion or larger.

The idea was to show everyone on Earth, not just the Reds, what we were capable of. Kind of an astronomical "Don't mess with the Americans!" demo.

Gotta love Gen. LeMay's ideas.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe Q was the one who actually put the alien moon back in orbit in "Deja Q"...

Scott

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The calculated life expectancy of the sun (IIRC) is about another 2.5 billion years.  I think the Earth will be consumed by the death of the sun before the moon escapes our orbit.  Either way, I'll be long gone.
View Quote

Actually our sun will have of life expectancy of about 10 Billion years. It has been around at least 4.5 Billion years. So we got about another 5 Billion years to go, give or take.

The moon will escape Earths orbit in about 2 Billion years. "If" people and life are still here it may be very different.

How bad would it be if there was a Moon/Earth collision? It is possible. And we thought asteroids would be bad...
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Actually our sun will have of life expectancy of about 10 Billion years. It has been around at least 4.5 Billion years. So we got about another 5 Billion years to go, give or take.
View Quote

Time to get the extended warranty on that thing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It is well known that our moon is on a expanding orbit and will one day escape the Earth....
View Quote

This is why it would be pointless for me to look for a job or clean my apartment.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if the producers of Space:1999 took this into consideration when they blew the moon out of its orbit?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
in a billion years, we will have the scientific ability to keep the moon here.

keving67
View Quote

Yeah but before that they better invent the fucking HOVER CAR! Werent we suppose to have those by now? I want my HOVER CAR!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Would that be considered SHTF?

Hahah, 1999.  I think I even liked that show when it was on a billion years ago.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Shit I'm going with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I will be long dead by then at this rate unless these scientist can hurry their asses off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top