Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2002 10:46:42 AM EDT
Press release from Emory:

"On February 7, Emory University announced that its History Department and Michael Bellesiles had jointly initiated a formal process to address allegations of misconduct in research concerning Professor Bellesiles' book, Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture. That internal inquiry is now complete, and based on it, Robert Paul, Dean of Emory College, concluded that further investigation would be warranted by an independent committee of distinguished scholars from outside Emory University. That investigative committee's work is now underway and should be concluded no later than summer's end. During the course of the investigation the committee's work will remain confidential. Professor Bellesiles has concurred that the outcome of the investigation may be made public."

Short translation: Emory found evidence in their preliminary investigtion to warrant a full-blown investigation, which is underway now. It is hard to come to any other conclusion that his goose is cooked, academically. He career should be a smoking crater by this fall.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Today is a good day!  

He made my most hated list not specifically of who he is, but he symbolizes the problems I see in the universities with academic integrity.

Maybe there is hope for academic integrity in the USA!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Now the local campus newspaper is laying into him:

http://www.emorywheel.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/04/25/3cc821c6a1b9c

Professor of History Michael Bellesiles may have lied to the Wheel on at least two occasions last week while responding to questions regarding the University's investigation into his work on guns in early America.

http://www.emorywheel.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/04/25/3cc820eb8af19

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.emorywheel.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/04/25/3cc820eb8af19[/url]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Here is the article referenced from the Emory article.
[url]http://historynewsnetwork.org/articles/article.html?id=687[/url]

How hot is the water getting Bellesiles?  He has claimed that emails were forged and web sites were hacked along with the mythical water damage to his records.   How many more lies will this joker tell?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Stick a fork in him- he's so done, the thermometer's popped out.[:o)]  [}:D]  [whacko]

"Roast flaming liar, w/ dumplings, anyone?"

"Oh, I'll take a double helping, ma'am..."[rolleyes][:D]

Oh, and let's not overlook his constant harping about unseen web hackers and imaginary threats- he's so paranoid, this guy is the Capt. Queeg* of the academic world- all he's missing are steel ball bearings in his hand....[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/boohoo.gif[/img]  [whacko]  [spank]

*e.g. from the Caine Mutiny: "They fought me at every turn....they were ALL against me- ah, but I knew about the strawberries..."[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I just love it!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's an excellent piece on the controversy - it even includes our favorite researcher [b]Arthur Kellerman![/b]

[url=seattlepi.nwsource.com/printer2/index.asp?ploc=b]Historian's failings have impact today [/url]

Thursday, March 14, 2002

By THOMAS SHAPLEY
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER COLUMNIST

[blue]Stephen Ambrose and Doris Kearns Goodwin aren't the only nationally known historians whose scholarship is in question. The spotlight of peer and public scrutiny has also fallen on Michael Bellesiles (pronounced "Buh-leel"), the Emory University professor who wrote the book "Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture."

Not only are Bellesiles' alleged transgressions less broadly reported than the others. They are, if confirmed, more relevant because his historical thesis has become part of the contemporary public policy debate on the Second Amendment.

While the other historians' purported failings are more, well, academic, Bellesiles' are more relevant. As David Skinner explains in the Weekly Standard, "Arguing that no American 'gun culture' existed before 1850 or so, Bellesiles marshaled a variety of sources to show that guns were much rarer, significantly less useful, and far more regulated than previously believed... If no absolute, presumptive right to own a gun existed back when the Second Amendment was written, then no such right exists today."

One of Bellesiles' defenders is Dr. Arthur Kellermann, Director of the Center for Injury Control at Emory University's School of Medicine. [/blue]

Excellent.  Just excellent.  Maybe Kellerman will get fried alongside Bellesiles.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#9]
and at a lefty-pinko joint like emory too...maybe there is some hope yet!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool! but I notice that this news is very well hidden by the media. This is the first I've heard of it. Maybe FOX will jump on the ball.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top