Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2002 8:55:10 AM EDT
I've got one monster of a tree stump that I've been pecking away at for over a year now.
It some kind of pine or fir and it's radius is about 55".
I could rent a grinder but the rental is $200 and I'm too much of a cheap bastard, so I've been taking out my frustrations on it for quite a while now.
I'm thinking of some well placed holes with packed pistol powder with cannon fuse.
I can see it now "look Ma no hands" or windows.
Ever blown up a stump?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
High nitrogen fertilizer, diesel fuel and an M-80. BTW, this is not news.  If any of you feel that it is wrong to tell him this, we have to remember it is a free country.  Farmers have been using this method of stump removal since at least diesel fuel was invented (probably before).    
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The Department of Agriculture used to put out instructions on how to mix the diesel and the fertilizer.  Good luck finding them.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a post hole digger and dig out from under the stump, 1 pound can of black powder, cannon fuse to it and stuff the hole with grain bags. Light and run like hell. worked everytime on the farm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got one monster of a tree stump that I've been pecking away at for over a year now.
It some kind of pine or fir and it's radius is about 55".
View Quote

Where the heck do you live, the Redwood Forest???

Radius = 55"
Diameter = 110"
110" = just shy of 10[b]foot[/b] diameter.

If the tree is that big, call in an airstrike.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]
"High nitrogen fertilizer, diesel fuel and an M-80. BTW, this is not news. If any of you feel that it is wrong to tell him this, we have to remember it is a free country. Farmers have been using this method of stump removal since at least diesel fuel was invented (probably before)."

This will not work.  There is a reason why you can still buy 50 pound bags of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and that is the difficulty of getting AN to pop.  Fortunately for all of us, getting ANFO to blow up requires a blasting cap and booster charge (items which your average cretin doesn't have access to).  This information is available at your local library.  I'd avoid working with explosives if you have no experience with them.  I also here of a stump remover which contains an oxidizer like potassium nitrate or something.  You let it soak in and you light the stump and it slowly burns away.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Loonybin,
Ya got me.
I screwed up.
I meant diameter.
The tree was about 60'.
Andy
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw something the other day in the local Lowe's store.  It was a stump killer that came in a powder form in a squeeze bottle.  You drilled holes in the stump and squirted the stuff in the holes and let nature take its course.  I think you also had to put hot water on the stump after the powder.  The label stated that it sped up the decomposition process.  It was in the same area of the store as the insecticides.  May be something to look into, but with a stump as big as the one you have, no telling how many bottles you will need.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea a guy I work with used to blow them up with dynamite but I don't know where you can get that stuff these days....sorry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#11]
My dad used to be a powder monkey with a logging outfit in south-west Oregon. He would auger a hole under the stump, shove A SINGLE stick of dynamite with blasting cap into the hole, STAND ON STUMP, and set it off. He said that it just made a "WUMP" sound. That single stick was enough to blow a large enough cavity under the stump so that he could pack enough dynamite under the stump to break it free from the ground. He would then stand back under cover some distance away, give the standard warning "Fire in the Hole!" three times and twist the charging handle. The only time he got nervous is when it failed to fire and he had to trace wires and check blasting caps (serious pucker factor!).

Karl
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
[url]http://www.skylightexplosives.com/[/url]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.skylightexplosives.com/[/url]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
View Quote

I like the 'sutton' pest explosive. You put them down a rodent's hole and it blows them up. Now thats some funny shit.....remember CADDY SHACK!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#14]
You have to have a something containing the anfo to generate pressure and have a charge to get it going. You can make squibs with blackpowder, thin copper wire and wax that will set off the initial charge that makes the anfo go boom.

I blasted some rock in my day using detagel and anfo with 0 delay caps. Man that was fun! Drilling the holes on the other hand was a drag.

My advise to you is leave the pyro stuff to the pros. If you have time you can get rid of it the old fashioned way. Drill some deep holes in the stump and pour buttermilk in them. It will start to rot in about 3 days but it takes some time to finish. $200 for a stump grinder beats a felony charge for bomb making or the nickname of lefty if things go wrong.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Buying Tannerite from skylight explosives is robbery.  You can make the crap yourself from ammonium nitrate and nitromethane.  Blasting caps can be made from potassium perchlorate and aluminium powder.

Sources:

www.pyrotek.org

http://www.pricechemical.com/order/
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Buying Tannerite from skylight explosives is robbery.  You can make the crap yourself from ammonium nitrate and nitromethane.  Blasting caps can be made from potassium perchlorate and aluminium powder.

Sources:

[url]www.pyrotek.org[/url]

[url]www.pricechemical.com/order[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
barrett M82A1 and some HE rounds
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I've blown up nothing, but there are lots of ways to do it:

[url]http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=MAN007&back=yes&dept=63&last=62[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top