Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2001 12:44:47 PM EDT
Okay, just need a real quick answer here...

I am planning to "put away" some stuff away from where I am, to a place where I can at most visit them once a year or every year.  Temeperature fluctuations should not be a problem.

Question is, what do I coat or prepare the pieces with in order to prevent rust?

I'm thinking of either Cosmoline, RIG grease, or those rust preventative bags, (details at http://www.norustbags.com)

Which way is best?  Or is there any other I should be considering?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#1]
SoCalGunner, keep us up to date on what you find out. i was going to post a similar question on storing "parts kits" for long term.
thanks,
colt.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have so many firearms I was looking for a way to protect them becuase most I don't shoot anymore weather it be becuase I built them as a project and moved onto other projects or my interests just changed.  I would never sell a firearm.  Here is what I did and I have had no problems with three years of storage out of sunlight but seasonal fluctuation in temp.

Seperated wood stocks from metal and wrapped stocks in butcher paper.

Packed metal parts in rid greease (although I wish I would have known about the spray cosmalene)  Make sure you get the bore.

Put them in the no rust bags with decasent (stock too)  put that whole thing in vacuum bags and vacuum packed.

I have had no loss of seal on the bags and no rust or anything in 3 years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Brownells sells a heavy duty plastic (could be a Mylar derivative) that is impervious to most anything. It is sealed by running the edge of a hot clothes iron over it, like a large bag sealer. They also sell corrosion/rust prevention "chips" which are small yellow plastic rectangles impregnated with corrosion preventative. I have them throughout my roll around tool box in the basement that I store my gun tools in - no rust problem yet.

prambo
Remember 419 - Never Again
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
We sell some stuff where I work that is great for rust prevention. It is like cosmoline in a spray bomb. you spray it on and it dries to a waxy amber colored film. It can be removed later with mineral spirits(paint thinner). It was designed for the Navy for use on ship decks to protect exposed bare metal from salt spray. Go to www.sprayon.com and look under Product Catalog then under Lubricants/Rust Preventatives and finally at the listing for P.D.R.P WAXY PROTECTANT. It comes in 16 oz spray cans and 1 gallon jugs(you can dip small parts or thin with mineral spirits and spray). If you cannot find any locally email me at [email protected] and I will find a way to get you some. Finnbear
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top