Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2002 10:33:30 AM EDT
Any of you guys do this ?
I've been renting this way for about 3 months now and it rocks.
All the movies you can watch for $20 a month (3 max at a time)and they pay the postage.
I mailed my used ones at 4pm yesturday and when I logged on this morning they said they got them and my new ones were on their way.Too cool.
I can't stand Blockbuster and I hope these guys kick their ass....then I can have some one else to hate.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link?

guessing: [url]http://www.netflix.com[/url]

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes that's the one.
Thanks for putting up the link.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I was using DVDbarn.com for a while < about 4  months> every thing was fine and dandy untill they said one of the movies never made it back to them .. They wanted to charge me 79.99 for a 19.99 movie. < thats not counting the bulk discount > .

In the end after a LOT of back and forth with the CC card company < cause remember they already have your card number > they finaly droped it .  

I myself will [b]NEVER[/b] do that again..

but thats just my story . I cant recall anyone else ever bitching  about them.

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was using DVDbarn.com for a while < about 4  months> every thing was fine and dandy untill they said one of the movies never made it back to them .. They wanted to charge me 79.99 for a 19.99 movie. < thats not counting the bulk discount > .
View Quote

The same sort of thing happened to me at a traditional brick and mortar Blockbuster. When I tried to rent a movie, they claimed that I never returned a DVD. I argued with some pubescent shmuck that I returned the movie the day after I rented it (anyone who knows me knows that I'm marginally obsessive compulsive about stuff like that). Anyway, his manager "conceded" by charging a late fee instead of a replacement fee. I told them to go piss up a rope, left the movie I was trying to rent on the counter, sliced my Blockbuster card into pieces with my ever present pocket folder (a hollow gesture but it made me feel good), drove over to Hollywood Video and have never set foot back inside a Blockbuster. The point of this long winded tale is that it's not just a mail order problem.

I've been toying with the mail order rental concept but I'm waiting to hear a broader sampling of reviews on the process.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]
used netflix just after i got my DVD player. nice idea, but at the time (2 years ago) they didnt have a big selection. now that things are better mabey. but 20 a month? no thanks ill do it per rental. because i dont rent alot. just enough...
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... They wanted to charge me 79.99 for a 19.99 movie
View Quote

There's no bulk discount for Blockbuster and c. As a matter of fact, video rental outfits pay a much higher price for the videos and DVDs they buy. You see, for the $19.99 you pay for a movie, you can watch it alone, with your family, or your neighbor, provided you don't charge them anything for it.
A video rental has to pay the higher price because they buy a different kind of license, ie. Their price includes the permission to rent the movies out and charge money for it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used Netflix for over a year now and it's been a great service.  If you have the time to watch a lot of movies, you can burn through about 12 movies a month if you watch them and mail them back right away.  Take some time to look over their site to see if they've got stuff you'd want to see.  It's great if you can't find the older movies (Manchurian Candidata, Cutter's Way, etc.) that just aren't out there at Blockbuster.  As far as lost or damaged movies, they don't give you any static.  I had to report two movies as lost (never arrived) and they never said a word.  I received some damaged movies that were unplayable and they sent replacements right away.  Give it a try for a month and you can always quit when you want to.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I've used NetFlix for quite a while and really like it.  One movie got lost in the mail, but they did not charge me for it.

I did have one bizarre incident where the wife decided to extend mail forwarding from our old address a year after we moved.  Naturally, she filled in the "from" and "to" addresses on the post office card backwards.  I had 6 NetFlix movies go to the old address by mistake.  Not knowing where they were, I reported them lost and they froze my account.  Eventually all 6 got back to them and they unfroze the account.  Guess I should have placed a hold on the wife. [;)]

I can't complain... Very good service overall.  I recommend them highly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried Netflix for the month free trial.  It took 7 days to get the movies to me and seven days to get them back.  Coast to coast sucks.  Good service, one of the movies got lost in the mail and they didn't try to charge me for it.  It showed up ten days later, so I sent it back to them.  Would've been great if they had a warehouse on this coast.  That's just my experience.

toast
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn!!   why am I the only one that had a bad experiance with these people ?... looks like I should of gone with netflicks instead of DVDBarn to startoff with...
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Dont you remember to boycott Blockbuster. The NRA told me not to support them. Blockbuster won't allow CCW guns in there stores. It was in one the of the American Rifle Mans. Blockbuster also made deals with top dvd markers to keep prices high on DVDS. Dont Trust BLOCKBUSTER !!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#13]
i used netflix about a year or two ago- I had a lot of trouble getting them to send the frigging movies.  I would requset them and it would be several weeks before they arrived (if they arrived at all)  I hope thay got better.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I myself will [b]NEVER[/b] do that again..

but thats just my story . I cant recall anyone else ever bitching  about them.

View Quote

Next time a movie hits Rental stands but isnt out to buy yet go to amazon.com and look it up. you can buy it at the rental price of $80!! the price they were going to charge you is fair because its what they paid for it. like someone said. Different license.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine used Netflix for a while and really liked it, but the DVD's kept getting "lost" (stolen) in the mail.  I think the first two or three, they will let slide, but after that they charge for them.  Once they tried to charge him, he quit using it.  

I guess the packaging they use to send them, is recognizable, and some bastard mail carriers were taking them for themselves.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I tried Netflix for the month free trial.  It took 7 days to get the movies to me and seven days to get them back.  Coast to coast sucks.  Good service, one of the movies got lost in the mail and they didn't try to charge me for it.  It showed up ten days later, so I sent it back to them.  Would've been great if they had a warehouse on this coast.  That's just my experience.

toast
View Quote

Which Coast?  I know Netflix just opened a distribution center in Tacoma.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Netflix.

It's the Amazon of the movie shops
great service great price.  This is how an e commerce site should be.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Do any of them offer a, uh, "complete" spectrum of video rentals?  Just asking for a friend of course.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top