Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2002 8:41:16 AM EDT
I stole this from AKnet. I personally am glad to see the NRA asking questions about the sunset.
tony

http://www.nraila.org/NewsCenter.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=1566

Linked article: http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/midsouth_news/article/0,1426,MCA_1497_1097238,00.html

WASHINGTON - The National Rifle Association is pressing candidates for federal office to once again allow Americans to buy assault-style, semiautomatic weapons with high-capacity magazines.

Tennessee's three main Senate candidates say they agree with the proposal, but the leading gun control organization said the move would make it easier for terrorists to obtain semiautomatic arms.

At the urging of the Clinton administration, Congress in 1994 banned the sale of 19 types of assault weapons and magazines with more than 10 rounds. But the ban was for only 10 years.

The NRA's 2002 questionnaire asks candidates whether they agree or disagree with the NRA "that the gun and magazine ban should be allowed to sunset in 2004."

Republican Senate hopeful Lamar Alexander said Thursday he's still filling out the questionnaire but that he will support ending the ban.

"My record has been pretty consistent for 25 years in support of Second Amendment rights. I favor restrictions on fully automatic weapons, but I don't support bans," said Alexander.

U.S. Rep. Ed Bryant (R-Tenn.), another Senate hopeful, co-sponsored a bill to repeal the ban when he arrived in Congress in 1995.

In this year's campaign he has accused Alexander of supporting the ban when he ran for president. He cited a quote, supposedly taken from Alexander's 1999 campaign Web site, saying Alexander supported the assault weapons ban.

But Alexander said that's wrong.

In a March 1995 press conference, Alexander said he supported repealing the 1994 law. "The federal law won't do any good at all," Alexander said then.

U.S. Rep. Bob Clement (D-Tenn.), the other major Senate candidate, voted against the ban in 1994, but then voted in favor of the underlying crime bill. He joined Bryant in voting for the repeal in 1995.

"Our Constitution gives all Americans the right to bear arms. The ban on assault weapons is set to expire in late 2004, and I support that expiration," Clement said Thursday.

Michael Barnes, president of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, said it would be "insane" to let the 1994 law lapse with the country facing the threat of terrorism.

The center recently issued a report on how weak U.S. gun laws could be used by terrorists to obtain weapons.

It noted that one manual found at a terrorist training facility in Afghanistan - titled "How Can I train Myself for Jihad" - contained a section advising al-Qaida members about how to amass firearms in the United States.

One man, Ali Boumelhem, was convicted last year on charges that he and his brother purchased shotguns, hundreds of rounds of ammunition and assault weapons parts from Michigan gun shows for shipment to the Hezbollah in Lebanon.

But Alexander said, "I think terrorists are able to get weapons just like criminals are able to get weapons in the District of Columbia." Handgun sales are illegal in the district.

Contact Washington Correspondent James W. Brosnan at (202) 408-2701.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

[url]www.nraila.org/NewsCenter.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=1566[/url]

Linked article: [url]www.gomemphis.com/mca/midsouth_news/article/0,1426,MCA_1497_1097238,00.html[/url]

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,
I never learned how to do that. I am spoiled by the boards that do it for you.
tony
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
BTT
[:)]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
We'll see.  Good or bad to bring attention to this?  At least they are on the right side.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#5]
From my understanding, they say they support letting the ban sunset. No shit it will sunset. It has to.
I wonder if they can help not letting another one pass in its place. THese anti's nitches always have something as an excuse. "Terrorists can get them easily..." Full of BS. I wonder what their excuse would be if 9/11 never happened. Maybe, their "For the children" BS???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top