Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2002 9:03:34 PM EDT
...without thinking about it too long and state why. And no relatives.

1. Stephen Hawkings - Confined to a wheelchair but one of the most brilliant minds alive.

2. Audie Murphy - Congressional Medal of Honor winner who lived to receive it. Didn't let small stature stop him.

3. Hugh Hefner - Lives the dream. Thought about how he'd like to live and made it happen. Was not born privledged but mastered his environment.

4. John Wayne - While not personally responsible for deeds as great as that he portrayed in film, he helped define "American Hero."

5. Colonel Joseph W. Kittinger Jr - A rare breed of man who had the opportunity and fortitude to do something nobody had done before or since. Set the record for the highest parachute jump ever, 102,800 ft the stratosphere.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
5 People that I admire

1] Kistiakowski.... Great at going from Theoretical science or lab result to industrial process
2] Enrico Fermi..... Great Experimental Physicist. Oversaw and lead the first Atomic Pile at Chicago
3] David Sarnoff... President of RCA during the development of TV... Showed what money can do for you when you need to get things done at the TOP LEVEL.
5] Tesla.... Brilliant Engineer but a might on the mad scientist side. Developed AC power generation, motors and basically the entire  system used to this day... The Government confiscated all his papers after his death, some of which access to still cannot be gained.
6] Edward Ludwig Van Halen.... What Rock and Roll is all about.
7] Ayn Rand... Put forth a heroic philosophy.
8] JP Morganthal... Fairly decent Industrialist.
9] J Paul Ghetty... Quick and Faster...
10]George Westinghouse Another of the first Industrialist in the Golden Era
11] Shockley Invented the Transistor at Bell Laboratories.
12] BuckMinster Fuller... Came to understand the Geodesic structure to be one of the strongest in existent... Introduced to me the concept that structures can have strenths or weeknesses.
13] Ellis... Like a father to me... Showed that man can go from RICH to POOR TO RICH again in one lifetime ... Can beat all odds.. Back broke twice... Cancer... And can still be the nicest man on the face of the planet. TOUGHEST SOB I HAVE EVER KNOWN. Him speaking to you can put the fear of god in you. Yeah A hell of a Man.[beer]
There are many others. Don't get me wrong these are all the Number 1's that I can think of.

Better stop there.
Ben

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Mikhail Kalashnikov: Came from a Humble background and built the Best there is,Self-explanatory why I & so many others around the World admire him.

Billy Graham: Always seemed to do the right thing at least as far as being Human and it being possible is concerned.

Yuri Gagarin: The First Man into Space, he went 'Where No Man Had Gone Before.'

Arnold Schwarrzenegger: Conned one of the Kennedy's into marrying him. Now he has his Biceps and Paws on their Money. No Fool There.

George Washington: He did it all despite  insurmountable odds. We owe him and his contemporaries everything.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Off the top of my head and in no particular order...

* Kelly Johnson - brilliant Lockheed aviation-engineering genius who designed many advanced aircraft including the U-2 and SR-71.

* Ben Franklin - inventor, statesman, writer, philosopher and country gent.

* Thomas Sowell - writes on a variety of conservative issues with the clarity of a laser.

* John Bogel - common sense on mutual fund investing.

* Ronald Reagan - nuf said.

Edited to add the Runners-up:
* Ted Williams
* Bill Gates
* Pope JPII
* Margaret Thatcher
* Jeanne Kirkpatrick
* George Washington
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Ayn Rand, for the reason cited by Benjamin above,

2. Thomas Jefferson and the other founders of the greatest nation ever to exist on Earth,

3. Not one, but several of my former coworkers at AvantGo, amazingly brilliant yet equally down-to-earth and friendly,

4. Michael Jordan, one of the premier athletes of our time, but the model of class

5. Neil Peart, excellent drummer and lyricist

-kill-9
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Pythagoras -- science has come a short way since him.

Socrates -- says I'm not always right even when I think I am.

J.S. Bach -- the greatest

Thomas Jefferson -- cool puffy collar

Tupac Shakur -- unrecognized civil-rights champion. Taught me a lot about guns.

Ayn Rand -- as above

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Ron Jeremy for president.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tupac Shakur -- unrecognized civil-rights champion.
View Quote

[:|]

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
[left]1. Gaston Glock[/left]
[left]2. Sam Colt[/left]
[left]3. Al Gore - No Internet, No AR15.com[BD] [/left]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
[b]Michelangelo[/b] – The Renaissance, what else is there?

[b]William Greenway[/b] – For teaching me about patriotism, girls, firearms and everything else the perfect Grandpa does.

[b]Richard P. Feynman[/b] – Developed the atomic bomb theoretically, main dude that translated Mayan hieroglyphics, helped me understand quantum electrodynamics and physics like no one else could.

[b]Pythagoras[/b] – He was RIGHT!

[b]Stephen Hawking[/b] – Something so ironic about a guy so constrained that knows EXACTLY how the cosmos works.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Ted Kennedy:  He lives the life of debauchery and gluttony that would have killed many of us by the time we were 30.

Bill Clinton:  He taught me just why they call him Slick Willie.

Sara Brady:  She taught me that if you whine an insane agenda long enough, someone will eventually listen.

Ralph Nader: He taught me that if you live long enough to get a little gray hair, some people will take you seriously.

John McCain: He taught me that even if you are a traitor and break your word, the American people won't notice and won't care.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#11]
1) JP2 - a dynamic leader who, along with Reagan, forcefully advanced a conservative moral and anticommunist agenda.

2)  My Stepdad - Taught me the meaning of sacrifice and dedication to a duty or responsibility.  Also taught the meaning of charity to a cynical curmudgeon like myself.  EDIT:  Damn!  I hope everyone can admire a relative.  I was going to change it due to the stated rules but I won't.

3)  A previous employer - how to manage people and build back up a business.  Too bad sailing  seemed to take the place of this to him.  Oh, well.  He sure paid his dues.

4) Teddy Roosevelt - Larger than life.

5) Pat Buchanan - Thinker, not afraid to tell it like he believes it.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pythagoras -- science has come a short way since him.

Socrates -- showed me how to learn

J.S. Bach -- the greatest

Thomas Jefferson -- cool puffy collar

Tupac Shakur -- unrecognized civil-rights champion. Taught me a lot about guns.

Ayn Rand -- as above

View Quote

Glad there's another Bach fan on the forum.  You gotta admire a guy who had twenty kids and still had time to compose.  He was once passed over for a promotion while employed as a court organist and basically told a Duke to go f**k himself.  He spent a month in jail for that bit.

But let's not forget his youngest son, PDQ Bach. [;)]
A prolific composer in his own right, he penned such pieces as, "Pervertimento for Bagpipes, Bicycle, and Balloons", and "Hansel and Gretel and Ted and Alice: an Opera in One Unnatural Act".  A very underappreciated composer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Five? I got dozens. Here's a few of them, not in any particular order:

1) Robert E. Lee -- He did his best.

2) Lech Walesa -- His courage changed the whole world for the better.

3) Gorbachev -- Saw that his nation was in the wrong, and had the tact and courage to successfully change it.

4) Yeltsin -- A largely imperfect man who, in one courageous moment, saved the world from decades of sorrow.

5) Washington -- Only politician I can think of who had power in his grasp and turned it away.

6) Jefferson, Madison, etc. -- Giant men who somehow happened to live together in the same time and place.

7) Sam Colt -- Typically thought of as a one-trick snake oil salesman; actually a manufacturing genius years ahead of his time.

8) Browning, Burgess, Maxim, Pederson, Williams, Stoner, Tokarev, Simonov, Kalishnikov, etc. etc. -- Inventors who would be much more honored for their achievements were it not for the anti-gun bias in our modern media and culture.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
1. George Patton -- Hell on the battlefield and he was right about the Soviet Union.
2. Linus Torvalds -- Software is like sex, it is better when it is free.
3. Richard Feyman -- Mr Physics.
4. Werner Von Braun -- Mr Rocket Scientist.
5. John Carmack -- Created the 1st person shooter.... Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Glad there's another Bach fan on the forum.  You gotta admire a guy who had twenty kids and still had time to compose.  He was once passed over for a promotion while employed as a court organist and basically told a Duke to go f**k himself.  He spent a month in jail for that bit.
View Quote
He also got in frequent fistfights and was jailed for smacking a guy with his conductor's baton.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Charles Lindbergh

Roy Rogers

Jonas Salk

James Watt

Theodore Roosevelt
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#17]
There is just one person I look up to.

[b]Imbroglio[/b]- He has such a positive outlook on life that would inspire even the most jaded person.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
In no particular order...

Robert Anson Heinlein.  Author, philosopher, self-educated man.  Wrote the essential rule of my life, "Specialiazation is for insects."

COL David H. Hackworth, USA (ret).  A man who says what he thinks - and as publicly as possible.  An increasingly rare quality, and I am honoured to have exchanged words with him.

CDR Roy Henry Boehm, USN (ret.)  Not only for similar reason as COL Hackworth, but a man who determined that NOTHING is impossible for a determined man.  Another individual I am proud to have "spoken" with (not face to face, but correspondence is also good.)

John Ross, author of that favourite, "Unintended Consequences."  Another man who went so far as to touch a subject near and dear to all of us, risking government censure to do so.  Still kicking...

This one is a twister, dead last, and actually somewhat logical...

Al Gore, Jr. - For showing me the depths to which the Democrat Party and the statists in it are willing to sink.  As is often said, "Know thy Enemy" and Al is the poster child.  Thanks for the sterling example and the intel brief!  (I don't admire or respect him, but I had to put him on the list.  If I were to list everyone, he would be deal last after six billion other people!)

FFZ
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Superman - Truth, justice and the American way.

John Moses Browning - His influence on just about every modern firearm

John C. Garand - Only famous for one, but it's a lulu

Clarence Johnson, aka Kelly - From WWII fighters to the Blackbird

Chuck Yeager - You have to ask?

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:55:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:37:09 AM EDT
[#21]
EdAvilaSr.
Goatboy
Troy
Tatjana
EricTheHun
Imbroglio
Garandman

....And the list goes on and on....He! He! He! [:)]

Edited to add Lordtrader...[;)]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Thomas Edison - The greatest Inventor.

Robert E. Lee - A real gentleman, both in victory and defeat.

Galileo Galilei - Great Astronomer

Johannes Kepler - three laws of planetary motion

Newton - Laws of Motion

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Tammy, Crystal, Jeremiah, momma, and daddy.

Edited to say I missed the part about no relatives.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Arnold Palmer
Bill Gates
Dr. Robert H. Schuller
Ronald Reagan
Dr. Jonas Salk
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#26]
In no order of course:

Kathy Lee Gifford - For allowing Frank to publicly get some strange and still "standing by her man"

Rosie O'Donell - For proving if you dream of becoming a fat, loudmouth, liberal, hypocritical dyke, with a TV show; dreams can come true.

The Green Lantern - He was a true superhero.

Michael Landon - Some people know when to die.

The Brown Dog aka Butte (my dog) - He can lay around the house and lick himself for hours and not feel the least bit guilty.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#27]
well, without thinking about it too long:

1. Dietrich Bonhoeffer - stood up to Hitler and the Nazis

2. C.S. Lewis - thought clearly, saw clearly, explained it well

3. Jim Eliot - lived singlemindedly and died for what he believed in

4. George Washington - a man of character and a great leader

5. Albert Einstein - any man who can understand the general theory of relativity, much less come up with it in the first place, is a stud
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

?
View Quote

[?]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#30]
1. Author of song [b]'Long cool woman in a Black dress'[/b]

2. Rainman (thanks fer the book)

3. Don C.  For going back into the Army at age 36 and is graduating this week.

4. The guy who invents High speed internet over the electric lines

5. Vietnam vets
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#31]
1. T.R.

2. Gary I. Gordon

3. Randall D. Shughart

4. Harry "Breaker" Morant

5. L.V. Beethoven
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#33]
In no particular order;

1. Wes Sechler, my former Paramedic mentor and ambulance partner. I have not met someone as smart, or as willing to put himself on the line.
2. Theodore Roosevelt, he cannot be held responsible for his cousins.
3. Thomas Jefferson, enough said... the man.
4. Randall Shugart, he stood when others would remain seated.
5. John M. Browning, the genius of modern firearms.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#34]
1. My dad: Grew up w/o a father, Vietnam Vet, tough as they come, business owner since 1980, could've found a way to put the Titanic in NYC if he had the chance.

2. George Washington: From the French and Indian War to walking away from being "king" of America. God was definitely with this man.

3. King David: Everything a man could be, have, take, love, kill, and endure. There is no definition that aptly describes this guy.

4. Robert E. Lee: Much the same as #2, but understood better the need for excellence to surround him. No one ever had better subordinates.

5. Ronald Reagan: Had a firm hold on greatness his whole life. Except for that damn moment in 1986...
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Most of my good choices have been used already.  But here's one that may not show up if I don't include him:

Elmer Keith - Developer of ideas that led to the .44 magnum, .41 Mag (shares credit on the .41 with, I think, Bill Jordan), .338 Winchester magnum, and others.

Outdoor writer extraordinare.

Master of rifle, pistol, and shotgun.

Author of one of my favorite quotes, "I ain't never done anything of which I'm ashamed" (paraphrase).  If only everyone could live into their 80's and still be able to say that honestly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

?
View Quote

[?]
View Quote
[uzi]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

?
View Quote

[?]
View Quote

[?][?]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#38]
1. Jesus.  He died for my sins.

2. The guy who stood in front of that tank in Tianneman(sp?) Square.  I don't know his name, and perhaps it's better that way.  For me, he represents the numerous "nameless and faceless" people who every day, take a stand against all that is wrong and evil, and get beaten down while the world stands by and watches.

3.  The custodian at my substation.  I'm not gonna post his name here.  He, and many like him, keep our country moving along, for low wages and even less "Thanks".

4.  All those who have a sense of something greater than themselves.

5.  I'll bend the rules and say my wife.  She holds this family together, whether she realises it or not.  Like the other wives of military members, cops, firefighters, and EMT's, she holds things together while we're out doing what we do.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#39]
1. Tyler Durden - He's in great shape.
2. Durden, Tyler - He always gives the best advise.
3. T. Durden - He's not racist or sexist.
4. Tyler D. - [b]ALL[/b] of the womenz want him.
5. TD - Just an all-around great guy.

BUT, most of all, because he is the only man I know that is not self-centered.

Tyler [;D]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Ted Nugent- Does it right, and does it to the Nth degree.

G. Gordon Liddy- Likened being sent to prison as Stalin being sent to Siberia. Tough to the bone.

Albert Einstein- If for nothing else, then for saying "My sense of God is my sense of wonder at the Universe."

Johann Sebastian Bach- For giving voice to such timeless beauty. He makes me believe in God.

Thomas Jefferson- An American renaissance man, and a role model.

Arnold Schwarzenegger- For being a self-made man, mastering Hollywood, fitness, business, and the real estate trade.

Leonardo Da Vinci- THE Renaissance man.

Yeah, I know, it's more than five. It's because I got more than five; call a fucking cop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Jesus
Einstein
Jefferson
Washington
Reagan
Non-Liberal civilly disobediant people
Patton
Rommel (sp?)
Teddy Roosevelt
FDR
Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben (@ Valley Forge)
I know this is more than five, but I got carried away.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Jerry Wexler - The Muscle Shoals sound
Hans Wilsdorf - Water resistant time pieces
Rupert Murdoch - Contribution to media
Richard Branson - Contribution to music
Gene Stoner - Fine arms
Leo Fender - Fine wood
Les Paul - Fine solid wood
Dr. Porsche - Air cooled madness
Jim Marshall - Fine loud speakers
Ronald W. - For bringing about the end of the Soviet Empire
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

?
View Quote

[?]
View Quote

[?][?]
View Quote

[>:/]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#45]
*Gen. Patton- A genius of a soldier and leader.
*Albert Einstein- allowed himself to think "outside the box"
*John Delorean- gave up a secure lifestyle to live his dream.
*Bob Marley- Worked up from the slums, told the world his inner feelings.
Can't really think of anyone else right now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's a different tact...all generals, in no particular order:

1) Robert E. Lee - need I say anything?

2) Ulysses S. Grant - same here

3) Creighton W. Abrams - outstanding warrior, leader, and "founder and driving force" of the modern US Army

4) John "Black Jack" Pershing - for dedicated, committed leadership, and being the consummate soldier.

5) Lastly, a guy that should have been a general - Colonel James Leach, commander of the Blackhorse in Vietnam, company commander in the 37th Tank Battalion during World War II, holder of two awards of the Distinguished Service Cross, and an all-around outstanding soldier.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#47]
1. Randy Shugart and Gary Gordon, they inserted into a lost cause on the slimmest of hopes and remained faithful.

2. Roy Benividez - Look him up in the MOH rolls.

3. Martin Luther King Jr. (Who knew what civil disobedience was really about and helped to make the United States a better place.)

4. Jacques De Molay (last official grandmaster of the Templars.  His order was persecuted and suppressed by the King of France. He was tortured and watched his brothers burned at the stake for their order and it's mission to restore the Temple. In the end he refused to capitulate to the Captive Pope Clement, King Philip Le Belle (the pope's master) and Chancellor Nogaret of France who pulled the strings of both. De Molay and hundreds of other Templars went to the stake and burned for their faith.  From the stake De Molay invited Clement and the king to meet him in judgement within the year...they did.

5. Robert the Bruce...who fought through decades and changing fortunes. Who continued to fight despite the loss of family and close friends to the tyranny of Edward I, and finally won the liberty of Scotland. Bruce was not Scottish by blood, but rather Norman, Flemish, and Norwegian by blood, but he believed in Scotland more than many with older bloodlines.

6. If you consider Bruce, you cannot forget William Wallace, not the the Mel Gibson version, buy the real guy who fought for the freedom of Scotland when all others squabbled over lands and pedrigrees.  He remained loyal to John Balliol until the end when it became apparent that Balliol had not remained loyal to Scotland.  Wallace became a sacrificial lamb for Scotland, the uncrowned king who gave himself completely for his people.

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Richard Jordan Gatling - his "wheat drill" was a major step forward in agriculture
Robert Anson Heinlein - his novels helped shape many young men's political thoughts
Jonas Salk and Albert Sabin - polio vaccine, need I say more?
Dick and Burt Rutan - faster, better, cheaper.
Mohammad Khatami - walking a tightrope in liberalizing a brutally oppressive regime.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I could make a long list of amazing people that I admire, but these are the 5 (groups) of people
that I admire and have the most respect for.

1)U.S. ARMY
2)U.S. AIR FORCE
3)U.S. MARINES
4)U.S. NAVY
5)All U.S. Veterans
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:44:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

?
View Quote

[?]
View Quote

[?][?]
View Quote

[>:/]
View Quote

[:O]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top