Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2001 7:25:55 AM EDT
I'm looking for an online source for large bags of silica gel or something similar, to keep moisture out of my toys while resting in the safes.
I've heard that there's a certain cat litter that works wonders, but I can't remember the specifics.
I was at a local gunshow today, but only found small(4"X5") bags. I'm looking for something larger than that, or at least a good deal on a large quantity of smaller ones

What do you guys use?
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Back up front from page 5...
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I use silica gel products made by Hydrosorbent Products in Ashley Falls Mass.
Their site is slow, but their products are available at a number of other locations.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry , Treetop, I dont mean to step on your d*ck, but I have a related question and rether than starting another thread I'll ask it here...

Does anyone know if you can, or how to seal ammo, mags, rifles, etc in a vaccuum sealed plastic bags?
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I use one of those electrical heated tubes that sit in the bottom edge of the safe, or anywhere for the matter. I've used it for years and have never had a problem. I dont know exactly where to get one since I got it with the Liberty safe. my suggestion would be any Gun safe distributor listed in Gun list or Shotgun news. not much help on the Dessicant but just a thought. I have even seen the safe guys selling large quantities of the stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Death_by_AR15
Watch those off channels real late at night, I remember RONCO selling something like that, sounds hokey but my first thought was for just that purpose. or maybe that was "back in the day" Am I showing my age.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I went to this art/craft/hobbie store called Michales and they have this stuff called flower drying crystals (Its silica gel granuals) you can get a big tube of it for like $10 I think it was. Pour it into something like a sock or the likes and set it in the safe. If you are in a humid evironment you can microwave once a month or so to dry it out. Instructions on the tube.

Brfore I found this out I was using HYDROSORB® SILICA GEL AIR DRYERS
Absorbs moisture from closed storage containers.
from Brigade Quartermasters. The flower drying stuff is much cheaper.

Here is a link to Brigade Quartermasters. This site is DIRT SLOW so wait a few minutes after clicking the link (It will work)

[url]http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=6907&M5COPY%2Ectx=7605&M5%2Ectx=3123&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Gun%20%26%20Knife%20Care%20Supplies&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=HDR750&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam[/url]

Link Posted: 3/25/2001 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Check this out:
http://www.dessicant.com/desiccants_overview.html

I love the internet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#9]
From the dessicant.com site:

"Please send us your pictures of how you are using the DRI-BOX!"

That would be interesting.[:D]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#10]
TREETOP
I have some inside information for you.
My brother and his wife work at a regular old dental office.

Almost everything that is ever shipped to a dental office is packed full of them in every size you could imagine.

Ask your local dentist to save them for you and in two weeks you will be able to dry up the Mississippi.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies, guys.[:)]

I have been collecting the little ones that come packaged with car stereos, but they're too small, even with the 40 or so that I've got so far.

The area I need to "absorb" is approx. 32 cubic feet, so I'm sure I need a lot, I'm just not sure how much.

WILSON, the ones I saw were measured in ounces, but I'm not sure how much they contained. As a last resort I would use these, but I'm pretty sure I would need quite a large amount of them. I'd prefer to use one or two larger ones.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1604299&a=12230927&p=44824098[/img]

These are the small ones that I get from the dental office, I put one this size in each of my soft cases.

Did I mention  FREE!!!!!

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#13]
The stuff in the cloth bags, can you reactivate it in the microwave (how high, how long)?

I bought some once in a plastic bottle, followed the instructions to put it in the oven at the exact setting and it promptly lost all solid physical properties.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I have large quantity of the real small bags they are approx. 1"x2". I have a medium size shopping bag about full of these. I spread them around in with my guns and knife collection. I have never had any rust in 6 years using this. I got them for free to here's how:
Go to any k-mart,wall-mart,Target or any retail shoe store or place that sells shoes. when shoes are shipped they put anywhere from 2 to 10 of these packets in every pair of shoes. when the store unpack them they throw them away. So what I did was ask an empoyee if they could set some aside for me. From just one shipment I got the almost full shopping bag.I gave the kid a $5 bill to thank him.

John
phoenix,AZ
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I think the golden rods are great! why use something that holds water?  Golden rods work on the same principle as boot dryers, and look how great they are.  Put a golden rod in your camper and it will keep things dry.  Throw some bounce dryer sheets inside and that will keep the mice away.  Luckly I have enough prebans in my safe there is no room for the ammo in there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#17]
You guys got it all wrong, Think FREE.
Go to the nearest New motorcycle shop and just ask. Honda and Yahama dealers get bikes from overseas that have a couple of dessicant bags in each one, they weigh about 2 lbs each. Just throw them in the oven @ 150 degs for a couple of hours, and let em cool in a plastic baggie.
they last forever.
KenS
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought mine online at [url]www.desiccare.com/homeprod.htm[/url]

I use the #4 unit paks for my ammo cans. You might need the larger Cargo DryPaks for the safe. They kind of rip you on shipping.

Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the 750 gram Silica Gel Crystal pack from [url]www.midwayusa.com[/url]. It comes in a can with an color indicator on it, is reusable and protects up to 57 c.f. A little over priced at $25 shipped but is worth the protection.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for the canisters from Midway. I finally got enough dessicant in my safe with two canisters and two smaller bags. All reusable, but now I don't have to dry them out as often. Also, Midway periodically puts them on sale, I think the last canister I got was $18.99, and Midway includes shipping in the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top