Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2002 5:10:15 PM EDT
I talked the wife into going shooting with me and the son today.  She's not real experienced, but has shot a bit of pistol and rifle.  I had bought her an old Ruger Security 6 .357 revolver, and wanted her to try it out.  By the way, she prefers .357 to .38 -- likes the kick.

Anyway, I was trying to show her correct technique-- stance, safety procedures, etc.  One foot slightly forward, lean a bit into it, keep the finger off the trigger until ready to fire, wrap the left hand around the right hand and keep the elbows bent a little, etc.  Lot of stuff to remember to tell her, lot of stuff for her to absorb.

I didn't notice, but when she placed her left hand around her right she placed the left hand index finger around the front of the cylinder.  She took a shot and ended up with a good sized powder burn on the index finger.  This illicited a few unprintable words, but nothing much more serious.

I'll say one thing for the little lady, she's a trooper.  After putting on a band aid she was back at it and spinning the metal targets with some regularity.  Got her to try one of my ARs, too, and I think maybe I'll be able to convince her to come over to the dark side. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
marvl,

Good for your wife.  Lot of em would have packed it in.

I remember the time I asked my wife if she wanted to shoot the M1A.  I warned her it kicked a bit more than an AR or her 10/22.  Guess she wasn't listening.

Well, she took the first shot (I only loaded one round  just in case).  Puts the rifle down and looks at me startled.  The part  that really surprised me was she shot it more after that!

Ya never know do ya?

James
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ouch is right...that can be a killer.

Last year at our clubs Open House one of our visitors did that with of all things a Magnum Research BFR in 45-70!!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Good for you! I was at my local range a few years back, and a little tiny Asian woman owns her very own LAR Grizzly chambered in 45 Win Mag. For those that are not familiar with the LAR Grizzly, it looks like a overgrown 1911. The out of production Grizzly can shoot 45Win Mag, 44Rem Mag, 357Mag, 45ACP, & 10mm by installing different kits containing barrel, recoil spring, and/or extractor and ejector, and magazine; and using the same slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top