Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2002 6:29:45 AM EDT
From PlanetFortress:
Half-Life Patch, Next Week
Thursday, April 18, 2002, 16:03 | The Warthog
Doug Lombardi has passed out the word that the 1.1.0.9 beta will be released "next week." This release marks the integration of the ongoing public steam beta testing (now Steam testers will be able to play against regular Half-Life users and visa versa). Also Valve's anti-cheat methods will be revealed, and more.
Half-Life and Counter-Strike Updates Coming Next Week

The Steam-administered beta of Half-Life 1.1.0.9 and Counter-Strike 1.4 (CS 1.4) is nearing completion, and the final versions of these updates will be released to the public next week.

CS 1.4 introduces several new features to the world's most popular online action game, including new missions (de_chateau, cs_havana), further integration of Valve's spectator technology, and more. The updates also mark the introduction of Valve's anti-cheat network, hosted in partnership with Speakeasy on the ISP's National Broadband Gaming Network (www.speakeasy.net).

In addition, this release begins the public migration of Valve's games to the recently announced Steam broadband platform (see www.steampowered.com). While it is not required, if players join the free Steam beta before next Tuesday, they will be updated seamlessly via Steam and be able to skip the traditional download process completely.

Then, after this release, those in the Steam beta will be enabled to play with those on the 20,000-plus public servers around the world. Steam-enabled players will also have the benefit of early access to the platform's integrated communication components for in-game messaging, friends tracking, and more. To join the Steam beta, follow the directions listed here: [url]http://steampowered.com/support/HTML/betasignuptester.html[/url]

The Steam beta has over 100,000 players currently. The complete migration of Valve's games to the Steam platform is scheduled in the CS 1.5 release. Later this summer, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero will ship worldwide via Steam as well as in retail stores everywhere.
For those that want to download the traditional patch straightaway, we'll have it covered here (hosted by FilePlanet) so check back for updates and finalized release times.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#1]
screw counter strike!!!!

actually the game rocks, it's the play i hate.

i'm reffering to the total morons that "bunnyhop". yea that's what i would do in a firefight....jump up & down!

that drives me absolutey insane!! i love the game but can't bring myself to play it. i'll get the drop on somebody, start firing and they'll turn around, jump up & down while firing (and somehow avoid my short burts at point blank range), and kill me.

....total homos!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

i'm reffering to the total morons that "bunnyhop". yea that's what i would do in a firefight....jump up & down!

that drives me absolutey insane!! i love the game but can't bring myself to play it. i'll get the drop on somebody, start firing and they'll turn around, jump up & down while firing (and somehow avoid my short burts at point blank range), and kill me.
View Quote

It's called bad physics. Jumping and running diagonally gives you a speed boost. Tricky to do but absolutely frustrating to face.
Game designers who refuse to incorporate decent physics models into their games should look at these idiotic bunnyhoppers. That kind of abusing the game engine is acceptable for Quake III, but for a game that purports to be realistic, it gives the uber-geek that masters the key combo an ridiculous advantage.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Atencio,

finally, somebody who understands! you're right though, i can't believe they haven't come up with a fix to that.

i would really like to play that game, but like i said, it drives me absolutely nuts. everybody does that jumping crap.

i wish i could find a server with people that play that game the way it was intended. i'd be happy a dude.

for now, i play day of defeat. not a lot of "bunnyhopping".
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
screw counter strike!!!!

....total homos!!
View Quote

The hate the folks that cheat even more. Nothing like the runnning, jumping, straffing, headshot from the other side of the map.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top