Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2002 8:30:20 PM EDT
The Girlfriend Analogy...

Well I'm not rich, don't care about being cool and am only interested in if something works or doesn't work. I really don't care what something looks like or how popular it is, as long as it does this job. If I can get something cheaper and easier that does the same job, I will.

For that reason I got a SKS:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NACoBLMQvp5lCwVDpv55DNZX12dEiE7!HpY2dX*jA40tsvySXlZF6X023BvbHdQjWVjUnmNwl8vRA2TjnWYOvg/ar---sks.jpg[/img]

Now it ain't much to look at and won't draw appreciative looks at the range. But, it is cheap, simple, readily available and does the job I need it do do. They are surplus everywhere and proven to work. Why would I pay more for just looks and improved performance? This one goes bang everytime I need it and that is good enough for the likes of me. You keep your fancy models.

My buddy has a PARTS GUN:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OAD6GUkSWe5lCwVDpv55DO0CnSABSDpKo3ADY5seBWGiDyu2hCsGNGjblPIwRFBqAPhQvrVk9BI5dCM3guZ7QXQAcAA6AC8A/ar---rebuild.jpg[/img]

These are BOTH rebuilt models. You won't believe how cheap and easy these are. He was able to get two for far less than the cost of some "original" models. Now sure they aren't "as they come from the factory" and yes you gotta modify some parts and other parts just don't fit period. Sometmes you even got extra parts never found on the original models. But my buddy don't need no fancy "as original" models, these are fine by him and do the job.

My roomate got one of them OLDER GUNS:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0PgBuHhgU8FZlCwVDpv55DCmR*JtIVTKgptAGpJHTPRmZOvuI9vAb8Xprb4chBmEety1DzfjXUGx1YPkFa8TmX0IRDgLa8QMU/ar---bolt-action.jpg[/img]

He likes it cause it's a classic and "seen some action." This baby is battle proven and has lots of nostalgic value. Because it ain't "state of the art" this model is also cheap and plentiful. Many of these older model are neglected and often given away. But, it does the job and that is good enough for him. He don't care for them fancy complicated NEW models anyway.

Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Now my other buddy next door got one of them Eastern European Guns:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0PAAAAFETYCtlCwVDpv55DIJbWdfi4PGND3OhHe4poNE4!XmwJlZh3sqGtBU1*vCMG!OtIhOEO!wq!31T1Q9dhFWQBxYy8rfr/ar---east-euro.jpg[/img]

They are usually copies of modern, fancy models made with substandard materials. They are kinda like the "cool" guns but with many concessions in quality and performance. So, they too are cheap and easy. And since cheap, easy and do the job are my only criteria, the East Euro Former Commie models are just fine by me.

A shooting buddy of mine got a USED GUN:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NQAAABMRSbFlCwVDpv55DP10rU9wX3kN5Bb4eBFhPsOhgfnNwl8nPrDfxVpYwgnH6wzuoQqmyFG7p8IJwmHLmw/ar---used.jpg[/img]

He just had to have a original US made modern model. Couldn't afford NEW so he got a used model from some guy who was looking to get another NEW one. Used ones are usually pretty cheap. And more importantly, you know they work.  I guess his is ok for a fancy original model. If I had to get a original model I'd get a used one.

Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Now my other buddy is rich, he got a BRAND NEW ORIGINAL TEC-9.
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LwA3dckPBW8BDGxIc4Tiv2jhQcAFoyu1ElXtJTRtfqwBUhP4ax0WXwse52ccwwSuvnyNFqb0ly8/ar-tec9.jpg[/img]

Now even though this is a original NIB model I gotta admit, it looks COOOOOL! This thing is so hardcore and scary looking. Secretly I want one, but I'd never spend that kinda money or have a model this nice. I'd also be worrying about every little scratch and wouldn't want to use it much for fear of devaluing it. Maybe one day if I win the lotto.

And on to the guys at the range I hate. The ones with FANCY NEW EXPENSIVE GUNS:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NQAAAJsQj55lCwVDpv55DE40GUFlGcvKDy2sdcm024NhsA2PhwtJwvd3UDWx2xys1DpSlUULPRlc39Ov24BY1A/ar---ar15.jpg[/img]

The sad pathetic part is they only get these models for looks and to show off. The guys with the fancy imported models or really expensive US models that nobody else can afford. They only get these things to rub it in. Usually they don't even know how they work. If they only knew how stupid they looked with these ridiculously expensive things.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I swear that last picture is of my ole 1925 M91/30 Mosin-Naugant .
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL!  Quality over quantity I always say.  And if you can afford quality AND quantity, more power to you...
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
"parts gun" indeed!  The one on the left isn't too bad if you ignore the 'out of spec' parts......
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
lol

anywaywhat about those damn chicom guns
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the "fancy, new and expensive"
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gun Snob...
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Just when I tought my opinion of you could go much lower............

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL!

Never heard it put that way.

medcop
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ordinarily I hate a gun snob, but in this instance, I have to agree with FirearmTom1.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Jesus that is some funny shit.. You must spend way too much time thinking of this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm still unemployed (really), so all I can afford is:

a Grendel .380
[img]http://www.subdimension.com/community/subversion/politics/grandma.jpg[/img]

a Jennings .25
[img]http://www.subdimension.com/community/subversion/politics/kidsmom.jpg[/img]

and a Lorcin .380
[img]http://www.subdimension.com/community/subversion/politics/mom.jpg[/img]

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#19]
WOW! Pure artistry.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I dont remember seeing black bars covering the features on any SKS.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just when I tought my opinion of you could go much lower............

Sgtar15
View Quote

As with Jell-O, there's always room for it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh man, this is funny stuff! [img]http://fishhook1.homestead.com/files/ani_laughing.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#25]
What about those high-dollar, exotic looking Austrian models? Got any pics of those? [:D]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That used model will start costing your buddy much much more than a new model, very soon...
View Quote

Yeah, by the looks of it, that buddy will be broke in a month or two!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Are you sure your buddies parts guns aren't equiped with illegal 'pistol grips' ??
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Steyr,
you have a point about the cost vs. utility.

I shoot a lot of shotgun sports and I think this point is even more pronounced with shotguns. Its not uncommon to see $10,000 shotguns with fancy wood, custom engraving. They are works of art, but their owners don't bring home any higher scores.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Steyr,
you have a point about the cost vs. utility.

I shoot a lot of shotgun sports and I think this point is even more pronounced with shotguns. [b]Its not uncommon to see $10,000 shotguns with fancy wood,[/b] custom engraving. They are works of art, but their owners don't bring home any higher scores.....
View Quote

ECS,
Fancy or not.....If ANY of those models have wood, you have serious problems.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey Steyr, you owe me a keybord, I'm never going to get the kool-aid out of this one !
echo6
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I like all makes and modles just as long as the "BARREL" is not burned out!![:D]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#32]
So [b]SteyrAUG[/b] likes cheap, skanky hoes. No news here.

At least with my AR15, I don't have to worry about any of these problems...

Is the bore filled with crusty, pitted scars?

Is there a strange, yellow-white liquid oozing from the mag well?

Is there a putrid odor, sort of like a dead frog, eminating from the chamber?

Are there little, tiny spider-like mites crawling around the trigger?

Do you need to "glove-up" for your protection while firing her?

Does she have great concentration and aim and will always "hit the mark" every time? (Or do you catch her straying off and looking at her watch every now and then?)

Do you wake up the next morning with a strange rash in the same region where your cheek was welded to her butt?

The next morning, are you proud or just spent?

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What about those high-dollar, exotic looking Austrian models? Got any pics of those? [:D]
View Quote

YES!

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=110843[/url]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some of my cheap, skanky ho's.

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LgAAAMMOeEUlXeztjEADVtmCu5Axb4aXmtlFD!gUvFEXs0GoWixWaeXAtskZVO1H2dkB6YJJuto/aug002.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#35]
ooohhhh Steyr, you know what we like...

(sorry, I was typing this with only one hand)
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, as any true gunlover would know, it's not about the make, model, new, used, plain, fancy etc....Its ALL about the "performance"! Also, the better it is taken care of, the better the "performance"!
Man, Steyr..... thats was some funny $hit!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like all makes and modles just as long as the "BARREL" is not burned out!![:D]
View Quote
[rolleyes]
Hmmmmmm...... guess we all know how much range practice 5150 will be getting, 'cause his gun ain't getting greased anytime soon![stick]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#38]
VERY high marks for this thread! Job well done Steyr and friends!

BTW, I'll take the expensive, new model. Wholesome, quality companionship is cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#39]
What's the matter, Steyr, didn't you sell enough guns at the gunshow this weekend?  Jealous of all them "big time" dealers with their fancy guns?  HA!  [;)]

Funny shit, dude!  [:D]

Moe
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Some of my cheap, skanky ho's.
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LgAAAMMOeEUlXeztjEADVtmCu5Axb4aXmtlFD!gUvFEXs0GoWixWaeXAtskZVO1H2dkB6YJJuto/aug002.JPG[/img]
View Quote

[b]Show off!![/b] [:(!]

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#41]
But the GOOD thing about the SKS is you can bury it without concern. Then dig it up later for use when you really need it and it will be about the same.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
But the GOOD thing about the SKS is you can bury it without concern. Then dig it up later for use when you really need it and it will be about the same.
View Quote

You can do the same with an AR - as long as you seal it in a bag with some dessicant [;)]

Edited to add:

And WHERE exactly do you bury your guns?? (just curious)

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
ooohhhh Steyr, you know what we like...

(sorry, I was typing this with only one hand)
View Quote

[>:/]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Great thread Steyr.  

But now I need to go get me an sks, just to keep on the side.

WL
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You can do the same with an AR - as long as you seal it in a bag with some dessicant [;)]

Edited to add:

View Quote

Oh, you're back to talking about real guns. I was still using the "girlfriend" analogy. Some of you guys take some of my posts way too literally.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Edited to add:
View Quote

Oh, you're back to talking about real guns. I was still using the "girlfriend" analogy. Some of you guys take some of my posts way too literally.
View Quote

Oh, you were talking about women still?

Well then what does "SKS" stand for? [b]S[/b]teyrAUG's [b]K[/b]inky [b]S[/b]kanks? [:D]

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Actually, truth be told I don't own a SKS and never have. But I think most here knew that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top