Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2002 2:17:57 PM EDT
I know this won't interest many here because it happened in the United States and involved no known Israelis or Palestinians, but here's the story:

Pilot Navy Commander Michael Norman and RIO Marine Corps Captain Andrew Muhs died when their QF-4 Phantom II crashed onto a county road just outside NAS Point Mugu, California yesterday.

[img]i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/US/04/20/air.show.crash/story.air.show.crash.jpg[/img]

[url]www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/20/air.show.crash/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
[:(]

Sad. Wonder what caused it. I was at the crash in MCAS El Toro when the commander of MAG13 crashed his F/A 18 during and airshow. Terrible thing to witness and worst for the family of the pilots.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
These guys are my brothers and I mourn their loss. Rest in peace, gents.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
As a Phantom Phixer from '85 to '92, this mishap is very personal.  This incident has brought back a flood of memories and emotions that while painful have made me a better man.  About the only consolation I have is the knowledge that even though they would have preferred to live long enough to bounce their great grandchildren on their knee, they died doing something that they truly loved.  

However, I'm very surprised and happy to discover they are still flying those marvelous birds.  I had figured that most of them had been put on display at the front gate or sent to their fate on a missile firing range when they were converted to QF's.

To my fellow brethren who are lucky enough to still maintain Naval Aviation aircraft: Remember, the OpNav4790 was written in blood.  To the aircrews: follow the NATOPS manual.  I'd like to read what "Grandpaw Pettibone" would have to say about this Class A Mishap.

Phantoms Phorever!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
One response from a former Navy air winger, and one resonse from a Marine former air winger.

Maybe if there had been a star of david on the side of the F-4, or if it had crashed into a kebab stand...
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I had no idea the things were still being flown.  BTW: I grew up on the "Oil Burner" route through West Texas,  F-4's, F-105's, F-5's, A-37's and just about everything else used to do low level navigation training over my house. Would spend all day on the roof with binoculars and a lawnchair. We'd see more than 30 sometimes. Some went down the valley so close to the ground we'd be level with the aircraft. Watched a Thud go inverted and  strike the mountain across the valley one day,  no one got out of that one either.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
My condolances to the families and friends of those brave men. [:(]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There was another thread about this
View Quote

What do you know? I did a search on "air show," "crash" and "Navy" and got nothing on this story.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top