Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2010 6:09:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#1]
So, short learning curve?

I've been planning to buy one for some time, but keep putting it off.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn I want one of those.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a tri stone and this looks better
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
i have a spiderco sharpmaker. i've been pretty happy with it. a lot of my knives are hawkbills and many have serrated blades or partially serrated.

any comments on this compared with the sharpmaker? does it work on hawkbills? does it work on serrated blades?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the Gatco knife sharpening system with great results.  Only thing is that you have to buy two additional stones.  The finest stone that the red box kit comes with is a fine, and you need to also purchase a very fine and ceramic stone.  After that it's a breeze to get a razor sharp knife that shaves your arm.  I use it for my pocket and hunting knives.  The lansky system is similar and while the knife holder looks well built the stones are too narrow.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#8]
that's a great setup and one that i'd like to own someday.

pricey, but I hear they're worth it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:33:54 AM EDT
[#9]
nice! it really does seem like one of the best out there. it should work well and i've considered one many times. as it is, i already have a tormek and a bunch of hand stones so it's hard to justify another set-up. however, i do like the consistent flat grind of the apex and the various grits. you will eventually use them all - and probably sooner than you think. i suspect you will probably even want to go higher than 1000 at some point.

btw..it's also a good idea to educate any family on the potential dangers from all the sharp stuff you'll now have. one of my gf's was washing a knife and managed to quickly cut the scrubby thing in half as she ran it along the edge. she almost took a gash to the palm.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the review.  i'll probably do this myself.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#11]
How much ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How much ?

this...
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was wiping the edge off between grits and got myself twice like a complete moron.

Good work on identifying the problem.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much ?

this...

$235 for the Apex 4 kit.

It is a great system, but I'm one of those folks that like freehanding and belt sanders.  I won't discount the effectiveness of the Edge Pro though.  Certainly in the top 3 of guided systems available.  If any of you folks are Knifeforums members, feel free to stop by the Keeping Sharp section.  I'm the mod there (Simms65).

David
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use the Gatco knife sharpening system with great results.  Only thing is that you have to buy two additional stones.  The finest stone that the red box kit comes with is a fine, and you need to also purchase a very fine and ceramic stone.  After that it's a breeze to get a razor sharp knife that shaves your arm.  I use it for my pocket and hunting knives.  The lansky system is similar and while the knife holder looks well built the stones are too narrow.

The gatco diamond system is a great system. I use it to set my angles. I use spyderco ceramics free hand to finish the edge and a old leather belt with buffing compound to polish the edge if desired.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an Edge-Pro, pretty good stuff for straight edges. Not so good for serrated. The problem, the guy suggests sharpening the back of the edge, ie the non-serrated edge. But according to Benchmade, they do not suggest doing that because the hardening is on the serrated edges of their knives.

Personally, I also have a Spyderco Sharpmaker, it will do about 80-90% of what the Edge-Pro does at a lot cheaper price.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:31:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Can I barrow it?  JK, looks like I may need one for the same reasons.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#21]
what is the long, skinny blue piece for?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think ceramic with a cover

ETA ceramic rod for finishing the edge
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#23]
It'e easy to get scratches along the sides of longer knives, so if you want to keep them shiny (or if they are painted or coated), it's a good idea to tape the sides of the knife as well as the blade table. The Edgepro does a great job and they are great to deal with, the owner/inventor Ben Dale is also great about answering questions.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think ceramic with a cover

ETA ceramic rod for finishing the edge
I thought that was the "sharpening steel." The fine grit stones are for final edge sharpening, and he something that looks like piece of paper that is used for finishing, much like strapping the edge on a leather belt.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

what angle do you choose for your pocket knives using the Gatco?

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
i have a spiderco sharpmaker. i've been pretty happy with it. a lot of my knives are hawkbills and many have serrated blades or partially serrated.

any comments on this compared with the sharpmaker? does it work on hawkbills? does it work on serrated blades?

It'll work on serrated, but not on hawkbills.

damn i was excited until the no hawkbill part, i have 2 or 3 hawkbills one of them is my EDC, what  is it that makes it not work with hawkbills?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#27]
here's mine

TXL
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was wiping the edge off between grits and got myself twice like a complete moron.

Good work on identifying the problem.

I had a suspicion.

Both of you are off my Christmas card list.

Swing & a hit by Ponyboy!
Thanks for the laugh.

Zhukov,
Thanks for the Christmas gift idea.  I'll pass it along to my wife.  Maybe then I can sharpen a knife too.
7mm
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top