Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2010 4:00:05 PM EDT
Stopped by Wally World on the way home this evening with my son who is 5. Anyway, on the way out the door he loudly asked " daddy, why do you carry a gun everywhere you go?" I tried to shush him and blow it off but he asked again even louder. I was getting the from the door lady and a couple of other people. So I told him that it is a dangerous world and that we are responsible for our own safety. Despite having had several discussions with him about OPSEC, we had another one in the car on the way home. Share your stories of your kids embarrassing you in public.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
My kids are 4 and 5 and still haven't figured out that "daddy carries a gun wherever he goes".  My 4 year old once caught a glimpse of my ccw and asked, "daddy, what's that?"  I told him "never mind" and quickly distracted him with something else.  He didn't get a good enough look to tell it was a gun.

I know I will have to tell them eventually but I'm going to put that off as long as possible.  I do fear being "outed" like you were.  Kids don't usually know when to shut up.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is the opposite; when something made him nervous, such as people started fighting, he'd quietly ask if I had my gun on me. When I said yes, he'd just say OK and go on like nothing was happening. He knew from previous situations that if I thought something was going bad, he'd be told not to even look at the people as I was getting us away from the drama.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mine is the opposite; when something made him nervous, such as people started fighting, he'd quietly ask if I had my gun on me. When I said yes, he'd just say OK and go on like nothing was happening. He knew from previous situations that if I thought something was going bad, he'd be told not to even look at the people as I was getting us away from the drama.

How old is he?  When did he find out you carried?  How did you explain it to him?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
My response would have been:

"we're in Wal Mart.  Look around.  Answer your own question."

Then follow up with a visit to peopleofwalmart.com if needed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
son i am dissapoint!  

c'mon, you knew somebody was going to say it eventually.
sounds like a good kid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you be embarrassed because your kid asks you why you carry a gun?

Honestly, I wouldn't think much of the conversation at all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
you son fails OPSEC 101.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two little kids. 5 and three.  I'm waiting for the day...
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell him that it's for when he gets out of line.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My kids are 4 and 5 and still haven't figured out that "daddy carries a gun wherever he goes".  My 4 year old once caught a glimpse of my ccw and asked, "daddy, what's that?"  I told him "never mind" and quickly distracted him with something else.  He didn't get a good enough look to tell it was a gun.

I know I will have to tell them eventually but I'm going to put that off as long as possible.  I do fear being "outed" like you were.  Kids don't usually know when to shut up.  

why not tell him its a gun? explain what it is and what it does.

he knows you have it and you wont tell him what it is, he will want to figure it out, and will try to.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
My 5 year old has asked me why I carry before.  She watches me put on a piece each time before we leave the house and never seems to think a thing of it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#12]
My son conceals his toy gun as well and knows about OPSEC.  His draw is pretty good too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My 5 year old has asked me why I carry before.  She watches me put on a piece each time before we leave the house and never seems to think a thing of it.

My six year old has asked too. She seems to understand the standard answer of  "for the bad guys out there, dear".
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have 5 kids ages 6 - 13 and theys see guns all of the time and have their whole lives. They see them in my truck, they see me putting them on, carrying them in and out of the house, the older ones have their own. They couldn't care less about them, because they're normal everyday things, not some mystical magic object that's hidden from them.

Sometimes they ask to see one or another and I let them hold it to see how it feels and tell them about it and what it's used for. They know that they can ask at any time to see any gun I've got and I'll let them have it.

I don't see any advantage in hiding it from them. It's only going to make them more curious and I'd rather they handle them in front of me out in the open than behind my back because I hide the guns from them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stopped by Wally World on the way home this evening with my son who is 5. Anyway, on the way out the door he loudly asked " daddy, why do you carry a gun everywhere you go?" I tried to shush him and blow it off but he asked again even louder. I was getting the from the door lady and a couple of other people. So I told him that it is a dangerous world and that we are responsible for our own safety. Despite having had several discussions with him about OPSEC, we had another one in the car on the way home. Share your stories of your kids embarrassing you in public.

that fact tht you found it embaressing says something about the average person and their thoughts about people who CCW
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#16]
<–––– user name.      My state sucks. I can't get a permit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Occasionally my dtr would wander in and watch me play GTA 3 on the PC.

One day in the supermarket checkout line she announced: "DAD, REMEMBER THAT TIME YOU SHOT THE MAN WITH A RIFLE AND TOOK HIS PICTURE WITH A CAMERA FOR MONEY? DO YOU THINK HIS KIDS ARE SAD?

Yeah, the joys of parenthood.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#18]
A few months ago I took my litle 5 year old princess for a ride down to the gas station to get a treat. On the way there she looked at me and said "Daddy, if a bad guy guy tried to take me, would you shoot him in the face?" I kind of chuckled and told her that I sure would. She just looked at me with her big innocent eyes and said "okay, daddy".  

She knows I carry everywhere and is totally used to it. It's basically a non-issue for her. I did have a talk with her awhile back about keeping it a "secret". Only because my fear is that we will be in a bad situation and she will blow my cover. "Daddy get your gun out and shoot that guy!". She seemed to understand.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#19]
When my kid was like 6 we were standing in line at a 7-11 and local cop was there shooting the breeze and dinking some coffee with the clerk. My son at the time was about waist hgh and was looking at the cops Glock. COp looked down and smiled at my kid and said hello. My kid says in a loud voice "My Dad says your gun sucks which is why he carries Hi Power" and points at my waist drawing everyones attention to the slight bulge on my right side.

Everyoen froze- the cop and I looked at each other, I mumbled something like "I have a permit" and skeedaddled out of there with my ears turning red.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
<–––– user name.      My state sucks. I can't get a permit.

There are ways to remedy that.

CA is beautiful, but it may be time to cut your losses.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#21]
My kids have never questioned it. If they did in a public place I would handle it by exaggerating what they said even more to make it sound like kid fantasy.
Junior, "Dad, why do you carry a gun everywhere?"
Me, "Son, you know the rules, you can't get past level three without the photon blaster. I'll show you how when we get home."
Then tickle him silly and change the subject. You can't reason with a little kid.

IMHO, denying it, and or acting embarrassed makes everything worse.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When my kid was like 6 we were standing in line at a 7-11 and local cop was there shooting the breeze and dinking some coffee with the clerk. My son at the time was about waist hgh and was looking at the cops Glock. COp looked down and smiled at my kid and said hello. My kid says in a loud voice "My Dad says your gun sucks which is why he carries Hi Power" and points at my waist drawing everyones attention to the slight bulge on my right side.

Everyoen froze- the cop and I looked at each other, I mumbled something like "I have a permit" and skeedaddled out of there with my ears turning red.

Can you please tell me how to get Jack and Coke off of my keyboard, monitor, and every damn thing else?    

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that fact tht you found it embaressing says something about the average person and their thoughts about people who CCW

Maybe embarrassed wasn't the correct word. I try not to advertise that I CCW. I guess I didn't feel like blading at 45 while yelling  you will not touch my firearm.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Your son is 5 years old?  I'm thinking the OPSEC failure is on your part.  He is too young to understand and therefore shouldn't know you're packing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#25]
He is a good kid. He's used to the fact that I do carry everywhere. It's usually a non-issue, but today for some reason he thought to ask about it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 5 kids ages 6 - 13 and theys see guns all of the time and have their whole lives. They see them in my truck, they see me putting them on, carrying them in and out of the house, the older ones have their own. They couldn't care less about them, because they're normal everyday things, not some mystical magic object that's hidden from them.

Sometimes they ask to see one or another and I let them hold it to see how it feels and tell them about it and what it's used for. They know that they can ask at any time to see any gun I've got and I'll let them have it.

I don't see any advantage in hiding it from them. It's only going to make them more curious and I'd rather they handle them in front of me out in the open than behind my back because I hide the guns from them.

tly the best way to handle kids. Exactly what I do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Reason #758 I'm thinking about getting snipped.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#28]
So far, the worst either of my kids have said in the checkout line was about the checkout clerk who had severe acne.  My daughter looked at me and asked why "that mans face is all bumpy and red because it looks funny".

I apologized and felt sorry for that kid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

why not tell him its a gun? explain what it is and what it does.    

he knows you have it and you wont tell him what it is, he will want to figure it out, and will try to.

Do you have young kids?  I could see them in the Walmart parking lot yelling at the top of their little lungs something like: "Daddy!  There's a big seagull over there!  You should pull out your gun and shoot it right now! "

They need a couple more years.

He has never even looked for it again.  It was quickly forgotten.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Say " to protect you, you little snot. Shut up before I have to take you outside."            

WallyWorld, I forgot.

"Son we may have to have a quite time out if you continue to ask such rude questions."                            
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#31]
A five year old shouldn't know that his dad is carrying a concealed firearm.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#32]
My boys were a non-issue, but my Beloved granddaughter insists on
me clearing "her" room at our house with my Mossberg 590 when she gets
scared.

"Grandpa, Grandpa, there's a monster in my room!"

"Okay, Dear." Click-clack!

She'll hold up the comforter so I can check under the bed.

That's my girl
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My son conceals his toy gun as well and knows about OPSEC.  His draw is pretty good too.

That's kinda cool.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Your son is 5 years old?  I'm thinking the OPSEC failure is on your part.  He is too young to understand and therefore shouldn't know you're packing.

Do you have kids? If you do then you know that eventually they will see it or bump into it. I don't hide the fact that I have guns from my kids. I teach them to respect them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#35]

[/quote]

tly the best way to handle kids. Exactly what I do.[/quote]
This is exactly how I handle the issue with my kids.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My kids have seen and touched my guns.  I agree about "demystifying" them.  They just don't know I always have one on me.  They sometimes try to take my pocket knife.  I don't want them to try to pull a loaded pistol off of me.  

They don't really understand the danger yet.  They need a couple more years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Even though I am a Glock fan and carry a Glock 23, I love that your kid could pick out a glock at age 6. That story is full of win in my book.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So does that mean you wander around your house loudly ranting about how much Glocks suck?
Do you wear a bathrobe and empty Kleenex boxes as shoes while doing so?
Because that's how I'm picturing it

(all in jest, of course - funny story)
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He is a good kid. He's used to the fact that I do carry everywhere. It's usually a non-issue, but today for some reason he thought to ask about it.

Don't feel bad.  My 5-year old is over his curiosity about my CCW.  Now he wants to point out all the fat people he sees.  In a really loud voice.  Just a matter of time until he moves on to something else embarrassing (if my childhood is anything like his!)
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Your son probably seen someone else's gun that either printed or got uncovered and something simply clicked in his head so he asked you.

My 2 sons who are now adults grew up with me carrying everywhere and they never asked about guns because they grew up shooting and hunting so there was no mystery surrounding firearms.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My kids have seen and touched my guns.  I agree about "demystifying" them.  They just don't know I always have one on me.  They sometimes try to take my pocket knife.  I don't want them to try to pull a loaded pistol off of me.  

They don't really understand the danger yet.  They need a couple more years.

Like everything else, if they see it as normal and routine, they won't question it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#42]
My 8 y/o is over the OMG. He's all for it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have kids? If you do then you know that eventually they will see it or bump into it. I don't hide the fact that I have guns from my kids. I teach them to respect them.

Yes, I have 3 kids and they are all older now.  I stand by my statement that your 5 year old is too young to know, if fact your OPSEC fail story is my proof.  

Oh, and I CCW all the time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Occasionally my dtr would wander in and watch me play GTA 3 on the PC.

One day in the supermarket checkout line she announced: "DAD, REMEMBER THAT TIME YOU SHOT THE MAN WITH A RIFLE AND TOOK HIS PICTURE WITH A CAMERA FOR MONEY? DO YOU THINK HIS KIDS ARE SAD?

Yeah, the joys of parenthood.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So far, the worst either of my kids have said in the checkout line was about the checkout clerk who had severe acne.  My daughter looked at me and asked why "that mans face is all bumpy and red because it looks funny".

Gotcha beat.

My wife, my 4 year old son and I were standing behind a huge black woman in the supermarket checkout line.  He practically yelled "daddy, look at the butt on that woman".  You could have heard a pin drop as she turned around and first looked at me, and then down at my son...

She said "it's a biggun that's fo sho, my boys stand up under there for shade".  And then turned back around like nothing had happened.  

I followed her to the door and apologized to her for what my son had said, and she just laughed and told me that she had 4 boys of her own, winked, and walked away still laughing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm glad it wasn't me!  This is the kind of thing I want to avoid.  If they don't know, they can't say anything!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's why they always put the ammo counter in the back. It increases sales to have to walk through the rest of the store to get there.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why would you be embarrassed because your kid asks you why you carry a gun?

Honestly, I wouldn't think much of the conversation at all.

I think it was more of the fact that it was done in public..
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha beat.

My wife, my 4 year old son and I were standing behind a huge black woman in the supermarket checkout line.  He practically yelled "daddy, look at the butt on that woman".  You could have heard a pin drop as she turned around and first looked at me, and then down at my son...

She said "it's a biggun that's fo sho, my boys stand up under there for shade".  And then turned back around like nothing had happened.  

I followed her to the door and apologized to her for what my son had said, and she just laughed and told me that she had 4 boys of her own, winked, and walked away still laughing.

you bastard I cant stop laughin or cryin!

ETA OH HELL
I AM GONNA DIE
I wiped my eye, and had a tiny pit of habenero sauce on my finger
you owe me an eyeball you bastard!

speed
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe embarrassed wasn't the correct word. I try not to advertise that I CCW. I guess I didn't feel like blading at 45 while yelling  you will not touch my firearm.

sir if I was in your shoes...I would have been embarrassed....because of the way the average person thinks about gun owners....it is a shame
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top