Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2010 2:42:51 PM EDT
Helping a buddy clean out his deceased fathers machine shop.

There is sooooooomuch crap it ain't even funny.

Aluminum sheets, blocks, boxes, you name it

Stainless......a good amount

raw steel...a metric shit ton, or two

Brass, I filled 3, 5 gallon buckets to the brim with brass bushings (mostly) , solid rods from 1/2" to 2" dia. and from 2" to 12" long
probably have 250# of it.

Copper, maybe 100# of misc. copper tube, sheets

100 miles of welding cable

55 trillion nuts and bolts

sending this stuff to the recycle yard and I cannot find a going rate for it.

watcha got?

P.S. The $ is going towards his moms "assisted living" rent.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly you need to call around. I just scrapped some stuff and the prices were all over the place. For batteries, one place charged .07 a pound, one was a flat rate of 3 bux per battery, and one place was .10cents a pound.

Also if you have TONS of stuff, there are different "Tier" pricing, (not a joke, they have normal off the street prices and then they have bulk repeat customer prices i.e. batteries for off the street at one place was .10 a pound, but a guy at work got .15 cents a pound for it)

Since you have RAW metals, separate them to get the best price otherwise youll get the lower MIXED metal pricing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that stuff worth more as scrap, or as metal?  You might get more for it selling it as metal on Craigslist then just scrapping it.  

Anyway, call around.  See who will give you the most money for the stuff if you scrap it.  

Bulk steel, in my AO, is $150 a ton, FWIW.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea maybe call some other Machine shops. Even if you get .10 on the dollar it still may be worth more than the scrap yard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Call a metal recycle company in your area.

One of my costumer buy recycled metal of all type in our area and ship it to China. He makes good money doing it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Call a metal recycle company in your area.

One of my costumer buy recycled metal of all type in our area and ship it to China. He makes good money doing it.

we have some sheets of aluminum that are 3/4"x4'x8' we are keeping those

I have seen alumin. go from $2-$3 a pound in L.A. to $1 in Miss.
Brass, I am not too sure on, and I KNOW copper is through the roof, but I think I may only have about 100 pounds of that, mostly tubing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top