Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/28/2010 12:07:39 PM EDT
Around here, its the right time of year to get great deals on some pretty decent bootleg..anyone else??

Also I prefer to flavor mine..cranberries and or strawberries and a bit of sugar..let it sit for a few weeks chilled, and consume.

Is this just a southern thing? how bout them yanks, any corn liquor up there?

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool, now post a pic of your homemade machine gun...
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My parents do the same thing, except with cinnamon apples.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Cherries are amazing in it..

I have even been known to put some of those cherries in a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Around here, its the right time of year to get great deals on some pretty decent bootleg..anyone else??
Also I prefer to flavor mine..cranberries and or strawberries and a bit of sugar..let it sit for a few weeks chilled, and consume.

not to be a party pooper, but...

Moonshining or possessing moonshine is illegal.  COC violation if a mod wanted to press the issue.

That being said, if I happened to visit a relative in the East TN mountains and pick up about 6 gallons of shine and it proofed at ~167 I certainly wouldn't broadcast it.

Furthermore, if I had said shine I'd try some good ol apple pie.  Easy to make and great to give as gifts.  If you need a recipe, shoot me an IM.

Not that I'd ever do such a thing...since that would be illegal
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I had some good stuff in West Virgina before.
For some reason I can't seem to find any here in Philadelphia.

send me some.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
IBTL
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Nanny .GOV says I can't make my own whiskey, for the greater good and what not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
oh my my i remember my dance with the shine
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moonshining or possessing moonshine is illegal.  COC violation if a mod wanted to press the issue.

That being said, if I happened to visit a relative in the East TN mountains and pick up about 6 gallons of shine and it proofed at ~167 I certainly wouldn't broadcast it.

Furthermore, if I had said shine I'd try some good ol apple pie.  Easy to make and great to give as gifts.  If you need a recipe, shoot me an IM.

Apple pie goes down smooth.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The best I ever had was apple flavored.  Sad to say I haven't had any good stuff in quite a while.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cool, now post a pic of your homemade machine gun...

30 months vs. 10 years in FPMITAP

But yeah, basically.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

it was hypothetically discussed in the TN hometown forum months ago.

A member, hypothetically, mentioned the time he became quite innebriated on shine.  It was hilarious.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Peaches, strawberries or apples and a few other goodies make for mighty fine sippin' shine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apple pie goes down smooth.  

yep.

depending on how you cut it, apple pie makes the panties come off.  It can also make your hair stand up on a 60/40 mix.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

it was hypothetically discussed in the TN hometown forum months ago.

A member, hypothetically, mentioned the time he became quite innebriated on shine.  It was hilarious.

we had a guy at work bring some in for all the guys on our crew needless to say not much was accomplished that day
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

these folks make x amount..which is just under the legal limit..and GIVE it away  

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

these folks make x amount..which is just under the legal limit..and GIVE it away  

They make less than zero?

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

There isn't a legal amount.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

damn right..

there is no license needed to make alchohol in this state..so long as it is within the required amount..which im sure they do..

mind you nascar started where? and why?...hint hint..btw i dont care for nascar..but i dig the rest of it...llike i said they GIVE it away...

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the OP is just teasing us with a jar of tap water and fruit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I think the OP is just teasing us with a jar of tap water and fruit.

yup yup

anywhooo..any folks up north get in on this? pics?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the ATF the amount you could legally make as a non-licensed individual is zero.

This is distilled hard spirits I am referring to- there are beer and wine exemptions.

I don't know if you took, for instance, a batch of hard cider and froze it and then extracted the alcohol from the center if that would count as distillation or not.  There may be a gray area, but I wouldn't risk it.

You can make fuel but it must be denatured.  Even that requires a license IIRC.

A boutique distillery license is possibly available, but it would not be remotely cost effective for personal consumption.  The basic underlying issue is revenue- the government taxes hard alcohol.  You would have to build a bonded area for storage of alcohol that you wanted to make, and further all employees would have to pass a background check.  Site inspections would be the rule not the exception, and your books better be on the up and up.

Personally I think the rules are bullshit, but those are the rules.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn right..  

there is no license needed to make alchohol in this state..so long as it is within the required amount..which im sure they do..
mind you nascar started where? and why?...hint hint..btw i dont care for nascar..but i dig the rest of it...llike i said they GIVE it away...

Per Federal law (which trumps any state law) you cannot, for any purpose whatsoever, make untaxed alcohol.  Now, if you have a distiller's permit for fuel or consumption, that is different, and is not "moonshine".

LC
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#24]
No comment.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I have seen jars with apples and some with pears in them on a tour bus for a big name country act...

That stuff is smooth, I wish it was common around my parts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I saw on 60 Minutes that "Apple Brandy" (shine) is pretty popular in the N. GA mountains this time of year (since the apple harvest is coming in). Corn liquor is for rookies
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the ATF the amount you could legally make as a non-licensed individual is zero.

This is distilled hard spirits I am referring to- there are beer and wine exemptions.

I don't know if you took, for instance, a batch of hard cider and froze it and then extracted the alcohol from the center if that would count as distillation or not.  There may be a gray area, but I wouldn't risk it.

A boutique distillery license is possibly available, but it would not be remotely cost effective for personal consumption.  The basic underlying issue is revenue- the government taxes hard alcohol.  You would have to build a bonded area for storage of alcohol that you wanted to make, and further all employees would have to pass a background check.  Site inspections would be the rule not the exception, and your books better be on the up and up.

yeah.  They make "moonshine" now at the Ol' Smokie Distillery in Gatlinburg.  But it's only 100 proof due to the tax structure.  And it runs about $25 for just over a pint...which is absolutely fucking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I saw on 60 Minutes that "Apple Brandy" (shine) is pretty popular in the N. GA mountains this time of year (since the apple harvest is coming in). Corn liquor is for rookies

Apple brandy is easy peasy.

A buddy of mine is a CIA Chef.  When in school apparently they "chef'd" alot of things.  Apple brandy being one of them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm curious, is there any legally manufactured product that is made like moonshine?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is not my source..but still...no pun intended...a good read..
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm curious, is there any legally manufactured product that is made like moonshine?

yes there is, it's called EVERCLEAR, it's 190 proof,    I can go to the coast guard exchange here and buy a bottle of it, .   the state store can't carry it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn right..  

Per Federal law (which trumps any state law) you cannot, for any purpose whatsoever, make untaxed alcohol.  Now, if you have a distiller's permit for fuel or consumption, that is different, and is not "moonshine".

LC

you sir have obviously never read the 10th..

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah.  They make "moonshine" now at the Ol' Smokie Distillery in Gatlinburg.  But it's only 100 proof due to the tax structure.  And it runs about $25 for just over a pint...which is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Yep, it is ridiculous.  At least it isn't like the "good old days" when large distilleries dominated the game entirely- there were no "boutique" distillery licenses available at all.  There were all kinds of bullshit arguments made, but really it was just about shitting on the little guy.  "Safety" was a favorite argument.  Sure, I would go through the hassle of getting a license and then distill my booze via an old truck radiator.

I was born in Tennessee, so maybe I have a genetic interest in making my own booze?  Anyway, other countries are much more open about home distillation.  Oddly places that seem to tax alcohol much more severely also curiously have more open policies about home distillation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I wish I could get good Carolina corn liquor here in OR.

IBTL.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
my ma calls this "Parma John's Thinkin' Tonic "

an ode to my Grandpa (God rest his soul) who used to run shine down in Inez, Kentucky in the late 30's.

"Parma John" was my Grandfathers CB handle.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Everclear.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

IBTL.  

why the lock?  its not illegal here..seriously..so long as only x amount is made..and none is sold... i swear..
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#39]

This and why in the fuck is it allright to make dago red all you want?  Thats some shit
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everclear.

The taste isn't even remotely the same.

I'm not attributing mythical properties to properly made moonshine, but smoothness with an ever so slight sweet aftertaste is one of them.

Everclear lights your ass on fire from the moment it passes your lips.  Moonshine warms you from the core out.

ETA:  And Everclear is made with sugar only.  Most mountain shine is corn-based with a bit of sugar.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

my ma calls this "Parma John's Thinkin' Tonic "

an ode to my Grandpa (God rest his soul) who used to run shine down in Inez, Kentucky in the late 30's.

"Parma John" was my Grandfathers CB handle.

http://i53.tinypic.com/30rpkpy.jpg
love it

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just about to post that very thing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't care if it's illegal, I've had it and I liked it and Vicki Vallencort showed me her boobies and I liked them too!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#44]
So in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

IBTL.  

why the lock?  its not illegal here..seriously..so long as only x amount is made..and none is sold... i swear..

It is illegal federally regardless of quantity.

Kind of like here in my state there is no state law prohibiting machine guns, but I still can't have an unregistered one due to Federal law.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personal use = ok.

Selling without paying the  'revenuers" their taxes = jail time.

No need for a lock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#47]

lol.

i have family living on "suttons road" in middle-of-nowhere TN
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes there is, it's called EVERCLEAR, it's 190 proof,    I can go to the coast guard exchange here and buy a bottle of it, .   the state store can't carry it.

It's stronger than moonshie, too.

They have the gear to get out more impurities. Moonshiners aren't so much with the high manufacturing standards.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personal use = ok.

Selling without paying the  'revenuers" their taxes = jail time.

No need for a lock.

I wished you were right friend, but sadly that isn't the case.  

Good thing  good folks in this thread think Everclear=moonshine.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#50]
apple pie
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top