Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2010 3:32:34 PM EDT
The Hobbit will be made in New Zealand, PM confirms
Two movies based on The Hobbit will be filmed in New Zealand as planned, the country's prime minister has confirmed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  They have had sets already built and waiting.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I find it sort of amusing that this is important enough news for the country's PM to get involved with. Can you imagine Obama "confirming" that the next Superman movie will be filmed in the US?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Guess the actors and crew finally got the union to fuck off.

Seriously, if you don't know it went like this:

Peter Jackson: Gonna make the hobbit in NZ

Unions (IIRC some were from Australia, not NZ): YOU MUST DO THIS AND THIS AND THIS

Peter Jackson: What? Fuck off. I treat my crew great. Hell, they get profit sharing.

Unions: NO SERIOUSLY BOW TO US

Actors and Crew: Who the fuck are you people?

Jackson: This keeps up I'll take the movie to eastern europe

Union: BOW BEFORE OUR DEMANDS

Actors and Crew: Shut the fuck up! You're gonna cost us our jobs!

Probably the best example of unions trying to fuck the workers I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I find it sort of amusing that this is important enough news for the country's PM to get involved with. Can you imagine Obama "confirming" that the next Superman movie will be filmed in the US?

I'm betting half a billion dollars gets spent making these movies. That's a lot of fucking money for a country that size.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm betting half a billion dollars gets spent making these movies. That's a lot of fucking money for a country that size.

You're probably right on the dollar amount and STILL the POS unions wanted more!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw an interview with Sir Peter from last Thursday. He was seriously pissed off. The Minister for Economic development down there was seriously pissed off. The Aussie trade union rep just sat there like some fuckin' sphinx saying "We want more."

I'm glad they nipped that shit in the bud.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Is New Zealand aware that Tolkein is dead and that basing their economy on the works of a dead guy is a tad short sighted and limited?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]
When I heard unions were postponing this even longer my head nearly exploded.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Is New Zealand aware that Tolkein is dead and that basing their economy on the works of a dead guy is a tad short sighted and limited?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Unions (IIRC some were from Australia, not NZ): YOU MUST DO THIS AND THIS AND THIS

Peter Jackson: What? Fuck off. I treat my crew great. Hell, they get profit sharing.

From what I have read, yup, this describes it.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I just finished watching the LOTR Extended Edition DVD's for the first time a few days ago. The movies of the decade if you ask me. Glad production will stay in NZ.

Aragorn's Black Gate speech FTW!

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh man, I cannot wait for these two!  It'll be like discovering LOTR all over again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Spot fucking on.

Also Jackson had a run in with Saul Zaentz trying to get this flick made. Jacksons a champion for making movies in the tiny little country he's from despite every bastard trying to do him over.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I guess you didn't hear how much money Elvis and Michael Jackson made this year...

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Their economy is based on sheep, not Tolkien movies.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good summary
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup it's a good amount of money indeed.

The reason for the PM involvement ?
It's Only a country of 4.5 Million people. We have bugger all levels of government. Only really have local (city) government, and the National government.
So it is a very direct, and representative government system. Being a small country has plenty of problems, but an out of touch government is not one of them.
He made an agreement yesterday, Today the law change to back it is being debated in Parliament. No messing about.

He is a business man, The government attempts to run the country as close to a business as is possible, given the 'middle-left' nature  of the country.
If you read the deal he made with the film company, it is an excellent win/win for both sides.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, it's a lot more understandable than the President of the United States of America personally lobbying the IOC to hold the Olympics in his hometown...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Their economy is based on sheep, not Tolkien movies.

Well more cows these days, than sheep. But still the largest amount of  money is still dead sheep, and dead cows. Why shouldn't dead writers be any different

Writers like, C. S. Lewis, Merian C. Cooper, Georges "Hergé" Remi, J. M. Barrie
and some live ones, like Stan Lee, Stephen Sommers,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top