Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 3:19:28 PM EDT
It has to go to at least 200 ft lbs and I'd prefer the click type to the electronic ones.  This is going to be used for personal use, so I don't need a fancy Snap-On one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Craftsman's are a good compromise, plenty accurate and will hold up well.

I've got the Harbor Freight one's and they're fine for occasional use too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a craftsman I paid a pretty penny for about 8 years ago.  1/2 drive, 25-250 ft lbs
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Armstrong
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

For fun try to get either one recalibrated  (...required periodically for torque wrenches).  Report back on success (...or lack of)

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For fun try to get either one recalibrated  (...required periodically for torque wrenches).  Report back on success (...or lack of)

uhoh, another torque wrench snob
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Craftsman, but keep in mind the click type torque wrenches ARE NOT covered by the lifetime warranty.  I THINK the old style might be covered under the warranty, but not what I use.  I went with the click type, I adjust them back after use and I handle them carefully.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a split beam Snapon, they are only accurate to 3% but hold calibration longer and do not have to be reset to 0 every time you use them. I have used the craftsman Digi Torq, it will work fine and if you only use it on occasion it should hold calibration for a long time. I use mine at all day every day, close to 52,000 torques per year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#9]
i have a snap on 3/8 drive and a craftsman 1/2 drive, like the snap on better of course. downfall with the craftsman that i've seen is the locking ring is plastic and has a tendency to break. and if it's only covered by a 1 year warranty. so if it breaks at day 366 plan on buying another one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have used a Craftsman for 4 years - for about approx. 18 wheel swaps for the track per year.  I have had it recalibrated every winter without any issue.

Its accuracy is further tested when I go through Tech Inspection at the track - as inspectors check lug torque on all wheels.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

uhoh, another torque wrench snob

Yeps, tightening fasteners into aluminum threads has a tendency to make one that way...

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have used a Craftsman for 4 years - for about approx. 18 wheel swaps for the track per year.  I have had it recalibrated every winter without any issue.

Its accuracy is further tested when I go through Tech Inspection at the track - as inspectors check lug torque on all wheels.

That.....is pwned......
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear of your success.  My last Craftsman that I tried to have recal'ed took four trips to different stores before I could even get it shipped off.  That was the last I saw of it.  Took several letters and phone calls for Sears to send a check to replace it after they claimed UPS lost it.  I Ebay'ed all of my other two  Craftsman torque wrenches and replaced them with Snap On.

One major thing I don't like about the last 1/2" Craftsman I looked was the plastic handle.  Much too easily damaged if dropped.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sent my Craftsman out for recalibration, wasn't a problem. Dunno what your experience was, but I found it painless.

I test mine periodically against the ones at work (we have them calibrated monthly). Took my Craftsman 5 years to require it, the Harbor Freights are still dead on, but admittedly they're smaller (1/4 & 3/8) and don't get used much.

Calibrating them, btw, isn't super hard. Kind of tricky to set it all up but it's doable.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i have a snap on 3/8 drive and a craftsman 1/2 drive, like the snap on better of course. downfall with the craftsman that i've seen is the locking ring is plastic and has a tendency to break. and if it's only covered by a 1 year warranty. so if it breaks at day 366 plan on buying another one.

I just had this happen to me. Damn lock ring snapped in half.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#16]
nm
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]
New or lightly used Snap On stuff for dimes on the dollar, on ebay all the time. Broke ass auto mechanic's loss is your gain.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Have a Craftsman one that is now a breaker bar!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
New or lightly used Snap On stuff for dimes on the dollar, on ebay all the time. Broke ass auto mechanic's loss is your gain.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Either way on the above.

Most folks don't use em much anyway.

I'd suggest ebay for an older Craftsman but then again, you don't know what you'll end up with there either.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top